Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

18 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My kit is in the old classic Series 4 box and that box is definitely jam packed!  The panel lines are very fine raised lines but the access panels are engraved. The interior detail is superb for a 70s era kit and wouldn't look out of place on a modern one. There is a full bomb bay and undercarriage bays. The cockpit isn't bad but could do with a bit of extra detail.  I don't think the younger enthusiasts that Airfix are aiming for will mind too much. Anyway, I imagine Airfix will spruce the cockpit up with decals for instument panels and seatbelts. That would look quite good.  My 70s era kit is in that horrid very brittle grey plastc that Airfix used to use. It will be far better using their current plastic type.

And let's face it, it's about half the price of the only other freely available competitor.

I'll be getting one - Remember making it as a lad and struggling to get the fuselage halves to join neatly as there was so much detail inside - and forgetting to add any noseweight.  Hopefully make a better job of the re-release. 

6 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Has the AEW Shack hit the shops yet? If not, then that is a nother new/ revised tool for 2018. An the Royal Navy Phantom... that has only just been released so thats another new tool for 2018..  despite being announced for 2

The Shackleton AEW was out in December, I got mine from Hornby the week before Christmas.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I would rather they take my pre order!

Trevor

That the Spitfire XIV was mentioned suggests they were still working out the details of the range up to the very last minute. Given all these kits have a 2-3 year lead time, my suspicion is that they figured out late that they couldn't get it released before the end 2018. So, already something to look forward to in 2019.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GordonM said:

If the Victor is coming out with an SR2 variant isn’t that a standard B2 airframe not the short winged K2? 

SR.2 was a modified B.2 with same wing so I imagine the K.2 release will probably be the existing B.2 kit reissued with additional parts for the K.2's. shorter wingtips , underwing HDU Pods and centreline HDU arrangement along with Air Sampling extensions for the SR.2 wing tanks as shown in the artwork. 

Having spent half of 1986 cataloguing and clearing out assorted jigs and tools from Hangar TS at British Aerospace Weybridge (as was) and seeing the embryonic Brooklands Museum, I feel obliged to acquire and build at least one Wellington.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Just a thought...   who will be the first to release a clear resin nose for the Hunter FR.10?  :) 

How do you know that Airfix won't include it with the kit? The Meteor FR.9 is coming this year so it wouldn't be unprecedented. For that matter, maybe they will also do the bits needed for a GA.11 as well

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

So now we know, which is nice :) I'm happy about the kits being 1:48, as I model in 1:48.  Last year was a bit of a let-down for 1:48, so it's swings and roundabouts from my POV.  They're doing 3 kits I'm interested in too, which is also nice.  Not much point moaning anyway, as one voice on a forum that Airfix probably hardly visit isn't going to make much of a difference to their output.  I guess I'm just weird in accepting what companies release and not subscribing to all these "I'd really like...." threads :shrug:

But Mike, since public flogging and hanging, Bear baiting, Hare coursing and hunting HAVE been banned,

you can't half get some fun from modeller baiting....................:whistle::wicked:

33 minutes ago, McYellowbelly said:

AIRFIX, SCHMAIRFIX!!!

It's all wrong...wrong kits reissued, wrong new kits announced, wrong markings on all of them.......and there's not enough rivets.

Cat put amongst pigeons and tiptoes slowly away.........:D

Ah ha, I see someone subscribes to the Shackleton school of modelling :thumbsup:

Mate, if you REALLY want to see meltdown, just toss a 'what colour is olive drab' grenade...............

Oh, and flak jacket and battle bowler ARE mandatory........:whistle:

Paul

• Haha 3

I think it is an example of a well thought out future strategy. The 1/72 soldiers will appeal to the war gamers and will gauge an interest in possible future releases and the quick build stuff will appeal to the Christmas present buying community – especially if they’re sold through Amazon (do Airfix have an Amazon outlet?), Argos etc..

The re-release items with new decals are making good use of existing moulds – Hasegawa and Revell have been doing it for years.

I also like the markings for the FGR.2 and the Meteor – is there a 2 squadron fan at Airfix; I wonder if they’ll use the blue Phantom on the box art (and which blue will they recommend?).

On my shopping list: a few Phantoms, a couple of Hunters, the Meteor (for the 2 squadron markings), a Sea Fury, a Spitfire 22/24, a Mustang IV and a Marauder (of which I have happy memories when it first came out.)

12 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

But Mike, since public flogging and hanging, Bear baiting, Hare coursing and hunting HAVE been banned,

you can't half get some fun from modeller baiting....................:whistle::wicked:

It's not how we do things here though, and it's all very petty.  I don't see what pleasure one would derive from purposely winding someone up, or lying about stuff just to get a rise.  It's a very unpleasant side of the modern human psyche. :fraidnot:

...and yes, I know it was only tongue in cheek :shrug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McYellowbelly said:

AIRFIX, SCHMAIRFIX!!!

It's all wrong...wrong kits reissued, wrong new kits announced, wrong markings on all of them.......and there's not enough rivets.

Cat put amongst pigeons and tiptoes slowly away.........:D

You're a very naughty man you. Naughty step...Now!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's not how we do things here though, and it's all very petty.  I don't see what pleasure one would derive from purposely winding someone up, or lying about stuff just to get a rise.  It's a very unpleasant side of the modern human psyche. :fraidnot:

...and yes, I know it was only tongue in cheek :shrug:

Quite.  Best left in the You Tube comments section - a forum so charming, erudite, well informed, considered and impartial that it would make even ancient Athens blush. 

Back on topic, though I am a little disappointed with the 1/72 announcements there's still plenty of interest for me and I can see the logic behind the re-releases bearing in mind the troubled waters that Hornby has had to navigate recently.  Perhaps it's a year of consolidation.  I certainly might be able to consolidate my stash (and bank balance) this year. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I guess I'm just weird in accepting what companies release and not subscribing to all these "I'd really like...." threads :shrug:

Why not do both?

It's perfectly possible to say what you'd like and then like what you're given. ;)

6 minutes ago, IanC said:

Why not do both?

It's perfectly possible to say what you'd like and then like what you're given. ;)

Maybe it's my crappy memory... I can never remember what I want :shrug: I do get a bit :dull: about these lists of wants all the time, but that's just me.  Now where's my 1:48 Stirling and (decent) Halifax? :tumble:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IanC said:

Why not do both?

Or… It's perfectly possible to say what you'd like and then when it doesn't happen, accept that the decision they have made is is backed by extensive market research and is probably a good move for the company.

(Although a 1/24 Me 262 or 1/48 Dh.88 would have been infinity better, why don't they listen to me????!!!…. Repeat every twelve months or so).

Though I am a little disappointed about the new range, I can see some of the rereleases they’re putting out as the state of Hornby is shaky right now. I like the balance of new scheme, older tools, and new tools though. I’ll be getting my hands on that ME-262B once I finish the one I got for Christmas!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, JamesP said:

Yeah, I'm sure the amount of conviction people put into predicting Airfix's next release could be put to better use in the world. :D

Meeowwww

• Haha 1

Lots of predicted reboxings and why not! Meteor FR tick, F-51 tick, twintub 262 tick, Silver Wings Walri tick, FGR2 tick - and whats wrong with the ticks! Nowt I tell thee...!

Very happy about the Hunter (could have been an F.2 but we'll welcome them when they come to LIDAR ours - they havent much choice its the only complete one left...) 

- thing is the new tooling announcements for 2019 will probably start in June so only 6 months to wait until - per esteemed colleague - the Fairey Fruitbat IV with Handley Page gussets, floats and mango dispensers will be unveiled!

Congratulations Airfix, you're going through a tough time - Scalextric have a couple of new cars and some repops - Hornby a bit more on the trains front, bugger all from Pocher and Humbrol (quality control lads!) and a smatter of repop stuff from Corgi so they've done well to have two pages worth of new product at all.

Sign me up for a Wimpey, got a Sea Fury on order- I really need the prototype markings to do G-CBEL though.... and will deffo get a Hunter so you've got £100 off me already! 

Good work fellas, KBO and don't let the buggers get you down! 

TT

Well I for one am very happy with what's on offer, the Hunter will definitely be winging its way to Chez Wez, along with the Wellington, both the Mustangs, a Mitchell, some Toom's and the Me-262, I'd like to stretch the budget to the Blenheim, Walrus and Meteor although what I really, really need is some time to do some modelling!

• Like 1