Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

5 hours ago, Plasto said:

If it doesn’t appear then it solves a couple of perennial Airfix thread issues it cannot be the ‘wrong’ scale nor too expensive.

In fact the more I think of if the best way for Hornby to please everyone is to release nothing... The problem is Tamiya do nothing so well and with much more detail and better fit. However as the adage goes Tamiya’s nothing makes no money for Airfix...

You forgot the "oh no, not another (insert as required) when modellers are screaming out for (insert as required) thread issues!!:lol::lol:. Fair point about Tamiya but, for me anyway far too many of their kits ARE too expensive!!:D.

Allan 

On 12/30/2017 at 01:23, Plasto said:

In fact the more I think of if the best way for Hornby to please everyone is to release nothing... The problem is Tamiya do nothing so well and with much more detail and better fit. However as the adage goes Tamiya’s nothing makes no money for Airfix...

Nothing ? So in other words zero ? So it's a new tooled 1/48 zero ?

Phil

22 minutes ago, shatters said:

Nothing ? So in other words zero ? So it's a new tooled 1/48 zero ?

Phil

Oh great!  Wrong scale and it'll be too expensive.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, GordonM said:

So clearly they will also be bringing out an F14 to enable them to do a dog fight double from a certain time warp film.....

....In that case, Airfix will have to release a Havard to go with the Tomcat in the "Final Countdown" dogfight double set!

Great film!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

....In that case, Airfix will have to release a Havard to go with the Tomcat in the "Final Countdown" dogfight double set!

Great film!

mmm... a Harvard, now there's an idea :book:

Edited by RichG

....As suggested by myself at least several pages back. A 1/72 Harvard II is at the top of my Airfix wishlist. I'm sure it would sell well, but hey! What do I know?

(Number 2 on my list, a 1/24 Spitfire XIV....yum yum!)

3 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

.... A 1/72 Harvard II is at the top of my Airfix wishlist. 

(Number 2 on my list, a 1/24 Spitfire XIV....yum yum!)

Harvard = Wrong scale

Spitfire XIV in 1/24 too expensive....But they should do one so they can stock dump and sell it off cheap in Aldi next Christmas..

2 hours ago, GordonM said:

So clearly they will also be bringing out an F14 to enable them to do a dog fight double from a certain time warp film.....

As long as it’s got fully poseable flying surfaces in every configuration and all the vents,  is in the right scale and is not too expensive then I’m in. Maybe they could crowd fund the tooling costs....

Edited by Plasto

8 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Harvard = Wrong scale

...Only wrong if you're into that silly American scale :devil:

8 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Spitfire XIV in 1/24 too expensive....But they should do one so they can stock dump and sell it off cheap in Aldi next Christmas..

....Bring it on! Let me know when they dump them at Aldi....I'll be straight there in my Transit to offload them of several dozen.

Expensive? Not bothered here as it hasn't stopped me buying any of their other 1/24 kits. I'm not rich either, but I do get slapped by the missus a lot. But who needs to eat when there's a new kit to buy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

Won't happen!

If you were able to buy Airfix kits this year (2017) from Aldi, home bargains, T.K.Maxx etc. be grateful!

"New brooms sweep clean" by which I mean, new MD / CEO who has already said the sales 'model' WILL change.

NO stock dumps, any surplus to be offered to the trade.

Only thing (at the moment) outside of their control is the likes of Argos where, once purchased, should they decide to off-load, they will.

Realistically, as long as the brand stays, so what if there's NOTHING new in the whole of 2018? (caveat, except the kits already announced)

Better a fallow year than the next thread bemoaning the failure / collapse of Hornby.

Paul

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Realistically, as long as the brand stays, so what if there's NOTHING new in the whole of 2018? (caveat, except the kits already announced)

Better a fallow year than the next thread bemoaning the failure / collapse of Hornby.

Paul

But without the new releases, where will next year's sales come from ?

Phil

1 hour ago, shatters said:

But without the new releases, where will next year's sales come from ?

Phil

The existing range I'd guess. That Spitfire Vb from the early 70s kept getting pumped out until recently even though there was 'better' kits on the market so must have been selling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I'm not rich either, but I do get slapped by the missus a lot. But who needs to eat when there's a new kit to buy?

What you and your wife do in the privacy of your home is on a "need to know" basis !! And, we don't need to know!!:lol::lol:. I work for Aldi, so I'm all for the stock dumping though!! I got 6 of the Airfix JP 4 kits when they went on sale!!:D

Allan

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Col. said:

The existing range I'd guess. That Spitfire Vb from the early 70s kept getting pumped out until recently even though there was 'better' kits on the market so must have been selling.

That will be the "dozens of releases" mentioned in the advert for the forthcoming catalogue. Perhaps "dozens of re-releases" might be more appropriate. I have no objection to re-released kits per se but, the only caveat would be paying contemporary prices for 20 -30 (maybe even older?) kits? However, that is a separate argument. I don't expect anything other than what is already announced and, I think too many people are working themselves up into a frenzy of anticipation only to be disappointed later.

Still, Airfix has been known to pull a few surprises. Guess we will find out next week.

Allan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

...also I think a P-51D and ME-262 dogfight doubles is inevitable now.

That makes sense. Dare say we'll see plenty reboxing of both kits with different decal options over the next few years.

25 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

That will be the "dozens of releases" mentioned in the advert for the forthcoming catalogue. Perhaps "dozens of re-releases" might be more appropriate. I have no objection to re-released kits per se but, the only caveat would be paying contemporary prices for 20 -30 (maybe even older?) kits? However, that is a separate argument. I don't expect anything other than what is already announced and, I think too many people are working themselves up into a frenzy of anticipation only to be disappointed later.

Still, Airfix has been known to pull a few surprises. Guess we will find out next week.

Allan

At which point that disappointment will no doubt be Airfix' fault :rolleyes: 

Like you I'd be happy to see them bring out the better existing kits with new decal options but not using that as an excuse to bump them up a range with the associated price rises.

• Like 3