Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

59 minutes ago, noelh said:

Well I noted after clicking the coming soon link in the email from Airfix. This:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/2018-airfix-catalogue.html

Note the blank cover, which to me implies something as yet unannounced is to feature. 

But What? I still think Sopwith Camel perhaps as part of an RAF 100th special issue. 

Does anyone have a contact in the printer Airfix uses for their catalogue?:think:

'Dozens of releases' please don't let this be marketing over-statement :please:

• Like 1

I'm sure the latest Airfix Club Magazine shows a picture of the catalogue inside the front cover, it seems to have the Typhoon, Spitfire and Camel, as featured in the recent Airfix ModelWorld 2028 calendar, as soon as I finish bedtime for Meg I'll post a pic.

I don't read anything into the blank cover at all. No point in getting worked up into a frenzy of fevered anticipation.Remember the " big announcement" at Telford that never was? All because many assumed that, because of past practice, Airfix would do so again.

There may or may not be anything as yet not announced. Airfix does have a propensity for springing surprises though. I'm not getting my hopes up. If I am wrong, it's a bonus. If I'm right and there is nothing to add to what we know, then I won't be disappointed because its what I expected.

As for "dozens of releases", I think IanC is right. Perhaps it should really read "'dozens of re-releases"😉

Allan

• Like 2

17 hours ago, noelh said:

Well I noted after clicking the coming soon link in the email from Airfix. This:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/2018-airfix-catalogue.html

Note the blank cover, which to me implies something as yet unannounced is to feature. 

But What? I still think Sopwith Camel perhaps as part of an RAF 100th special issue. 

Does anyone have a contact in the printer Airfix uses for their catalogue?:think:

If accurate, the displayed price of £6.99 means a series 1?

The blank/black cover is probably due to a coxk-up Hornby made with their catalogue tease.  They posted a cover with a heavily pixelated painting of a train.  Unfortunately, an eagle eyed poster identified the painting from a few bull rushes which hadn't been pixelated out in the extreme left hand corner !!!   Hornby withdrew the cover and replaced it with a blank/black cover, obviously they don't trust airfix modellers not to repeat the trick.

( P.S.  The Hornby cover showed a painting of a Southern Lord Nelson locomotive hauling the Night Ferry stock. )

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

My late Grandfather bought me an Airfix Concorde in BOAC livery and he died in 1972, therefore it  was way before 1977.

Thomo.

Airfix released two Concorde kits. The first, which came in BOAC and Air France boxings was of the prototype aircraft. That was the one available when you got yours. The 1977 version represented the production aircraft.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:20 PM, SeaVenom said:

Yes it would probably be some company like Roden.  Why Roden can bring out new airliners in 1/144th but Airfix can't I don't know though.

Different market expectations and internal cost structure on creating new tooling probably.

On 12/27/2017 at 12:29 AM, Radpoe Spitfire said:

If your gonna chuck Me 262's in 1/24 - then there has to be a Meteor Mk1👌

Not a Mk.I: only 20 aircraft produced and only seeing service with 616 Sqn doesn't allow for many different marking options or other variations. The Mk.III would be a better choice.

12 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Remember the " big announcement" at Telford that never was? All because many assumed that, because of past practice, Airfix would do so again.

Actually the big announcement was mentioned in at least one workbench and somewhere else on the Airfix site.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Or, it's simply the price of the catalogue?:shrug:

Allan

That's what I think too!

People are reading too much into it.

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

Silly me, I was forgetting!

Easy to do in Lucid moments.

Just make a prediction that makes no commercial sense in any way and is entirely baseless and you’ll be back on track.

Edited by Plasto
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Easy to do in Lucid moments.

Just make a prediction that makes no commercial sense in any way and is entirely baseless and you’ll be back on track.

That's easy, Avro Manchester or Lincoln, phew!

Obviously taking too much tonic with my gin!

Edited by Wez
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Good work...

Types of little general appeal beyond the enthusiast market and with absolutely no evidence Airfix Are even considering them in any way. 

Spot on. Continue to Speculate freely.

Thanks for rescuing me, I was in danger of being sensible...   ...almost!

No thanks needed...

I’m interested in seeing how many pages this thread gets to before the announcement on the 9th. 

With the holidays and a paucity of actual fact it’s got a life of its own... Sense, fact and reality are the scourge of an expansive thread full of hopes, dreams and down right craziness. 

Let the Seasonal Guess-A-Thon continue Un-encumbered....

8 minutes ago, bradleygolding said:

Another Airfix workbench deadline missed, I notice.

Steve

Yes this clearly signifies they plan to announce a 1/48 Supermarine Scimitar and a 1/24 New tool Spitfire Mk 1 and Sopwith Camel..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I wonder how many people will get the hump when the Sopwith Camel fails to materialise?

If it doesn’t appear then it solves a couple of perennial Airfix thread issues it cannot be the ‘wrong’ scale nor too expensive.

In fact the more I think of if the best way for Hornby to please everyone is to release nothing... The problem is Tamiya do nothing so well and with much more detail and better fit. However as the adage goes Tamiya’s nothing makes no money for Airfix...

• Like 5