1/700 Build/Paint questions

Hi folks,

Have been plodding through my first ship build, enjoyable as every other subject I've tried so I'll do more at some point, must speed up completing models though. I've almost finished the sub assemblies as far as I can go and have started to plan out how I'll paint it all. First though I wondered what the done thing is re. portholes, I vaguely remember a post or magazine article or some other source mentioning that they drilled them out but is that the norm? The only other options that come to mind are ignore it and paint with the rest, put a drop of (gloss?) black in or some method of adding some clear material to represent the glass, which I'm not especially keen on at this scale. I read a through WiP threads but none made it clear how the author had handled it.

On to the paint, I have the decks to do as a wooden/tan sort of colour and the rest as sea/Mediterranean blue (Arizona, every website I looked at descended into what colour each part was on what date. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to make an accurate replica so choosing the colour isn't my issue, I'll go with what I already have or what's easily available). As I haven't glued anything to the hull am I better doing the deck, then masking it for the rest or vice versa? Seems a lot of fiddly shapes eithe way. I'm still brush painting so I figured there's less risk of breaking something off if I keep everything separate but correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

I mostly do 1/350 so this may not help (and may be too late); but for portholes I use a really fine black draughting pen and just colour them in after the hull colour is painted. For he decks, I paint them first then mask round all the moulded features and paint them but keep as many sub assemblies/vents/railings etc sepearte and fix afterwards to give give clear delineation between them and the decks colour. I do use an airbrush tho which may change the approach.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1