Revell 1/48 B-29 finished in Bare Metal Foil

One word FANTASTIC...   You must have put some hours into that build....

Back in the early 70s my dad and I built a Fortress 1:72 Airfix, I remember, I had reached the point I could build a kit more or less on my own, but dad loved doing the painting and took over....   But not with this one he was weeks covering it with individual pieces of tin foil not sure where the foil came from as very thin from memory ....  I remember wanted him desperately to hurry up so I could have it hanging from the ceiling.   Wish I still had that model.

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

Wow. I was given a bottle of the very same for Christmas. I've not opened it yet but but I certainly plan to do so. I'm told it's really good...nice and smooth. I've never been a bourbon drinker apart, that is, from a Southern Comfort session while at Art School many many years ago. I can't remember a single thing about that particular weekend. Which is probably just as well.

It is really smooth. Nothing like Jack D. and not as sweet as Southern Comfort. It kind of makes you warm all over.

3 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Johhy K,

Firstly your B-29 is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS. it is IMPECCABLY IMMACULATE  and PRISTINE.

:wub: :clap::worthy::worthy::worthy:

And  MY Late Father who was in the Army used to listen to you guys.

and I can tell by your "Roy Orbison"  look you looked like a rock star before I even got to your post informing us who you were.

Thank you for a BEAUTIFUL  Model.and also for making MY Father Happy with your unique Music.

:clap2:

Watch "Haymarket Square   Magic Lantern  1968 ,Psychedelic Rock" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/gZcbamuQKws

Thanks for the really nice words regarding the B-29. I'm glad your father liked the music.

I'm incredibly impressed with your build. I've used Alclad and have been happy with the finish it gives, but there's nothing like real metal to give that real metal look! Every time i've used bare metal foil, I've found it doesn't seem to stick very well no matter how much I burnish it. Have you found that it sticks well?  Maybe mine's too old, or a bad batch, or something (like operator error).....

Hello Johnny,

Very good job, I really like your Superfort !

And the Pin'up is ... Playboyish? If I dare to say :P

Nice story, as a great Rn'R fan, I'll go listen to your band.

I'm also a great fan of Jack D, years ago, I received a diploma from them...

What a degree in drinkin' and tastin' that Tenessee's marvel is a degree ,?? No ?

That did'nt make my wife happy :drink:.....

Must find a B-29 too !

Thank for sharing your techniques too.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

I'm incredibly impressed with your build. I've used Alclad and have been happy with the finish it gives, but there's nothing like real metal to give that real metal look! Every time i've used bare metal foil, I've found it doesn't seem to stick very well no matter how much I burnish it. Have you found that it sticks well?  Maybe mine's too old, or a bad batch, or something (like operator error).....

You have to burnish the BMF really hard to make it stick. I use paper blending sticks, also called stumps. They are available at craft stores or on line. However, once is a whileI do get a sheet of BMF that does not stick. 

v2mlJcC.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Neil.C said:

A lovely dog Timmas.  Looks like you knitted it! ;)

Joking of course I know the Puli's well. 

2017_05_14_16_39_19.jpg

Thanks Neil. She's a lovely little girl. She was 18 months old when we got her, and is six in August. I bought her for my wife as a Valentine's Day present almost a year after we lost our previous dog. She had always wanted a Puli (I didn't know anything about the breed). We've adored all of our dogs but this little one, for some reason, is 'the one'. :wub:  You know there always is one!

Tim

ps for some reason the pic wouldn't show in my message but I can see it in your's. I could only see the link. I have Ghostery installed so maybe that's go in the way between my image host site and BM. I can see everyone ele's pics well enough. I'll see if clicking it off makes a difference. :confused:

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 3:22 PM, Johnny_K said:

I'm lucky to have survived, if you know what I mean!

I know what you mean... I was a professional muso for forty years, fifteen of them on rock and R&B bands.  I can even remember some of it!

Regarding the decals.

WJ3ieVu.jpg?2

First, I cut the letters apart. The eliminated the possibility of the carrier film  "silvering "

yGLfj6i.jpg

The numbers on the tail were individually cut apart.

Second, I added a couple  of drops of dishwashing detergent to a bowl of warm water. I just put the decal in the water for about 30 sec. and just slid them onto the airplane. The dishwashing detergent allows the decal to slide around. I used a soft brush to "burnish" the decals. I then used a decal setting solution to "set" the decals. I did not use any clear coats in the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1