Alternative Paint Brushes

Phil3819

Not sure if paint brushes class as "other tools" but there's no separate section, so here goes.

I'm still waiting for my first airbrush so am stuck using brushes. Because of this I'm always on the look out for them.

In Home Bargains the other day, looking for Airfix kits, I came across a pack of 7 Nail Art Brushes on the beauty section of the shop (I was looking for emery boards as well). I figured for 99p I'd have a punt and see what they were like.

They're not super brilliant, but so far I'm quite liking them, especially the long, thin one (ooerr missus) that is similar in style to the brushes Rolls Royce use in their coach painting department.

So wanting to be a contributing member of the forums I thought I'd pass the information on.

24297143627_90e498e821_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's called a Dotting Pen. It's solid with a slight point. No idea what it's used for as far as nails are concerned, but I'm sure I'll end up using it for something. The brushes are actually better quality than I originally gave them credit for. And like I said, at 99p they're worth a chance, if only one of them gets used.

Edited by Phil3819
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

Errr a dotting pen does what it says on the tin.  Used to apply dots of nail varnish.  Posher ones are more like a tiny ball or sphere on the end.  My daughter has a set in various sizes for her nail art hobby.  They look like they'd be useful to paint small scale instrument panels and so forth.  Needless to say if you get into nail art the fancy brushes are as pricey as for fine art or model-making! 

The brush with v long bristles is called a rigger,  traditionally used for pinstriping and similar by signwriters. 

These cheapo brushes are handy for some jobs especially where horrible or stringent methods of clean up are needed.  Better than ruining one's best sable...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

................The brush with v long bristles is called a rigger,  traditionally used for pinstriping and similar by signwriters.

Traditionally used by 18th Century artists for painting in.....................rigging, hence the name. Purloined by 19th century signwriters!

See, if you have a good idea, somebody'll come along and nick it!! :wicked:

You can also pick them up in Poundland.

Not that bad considering the price, and so far the smallest one has kept its shape the few times I’ve used it with acrylic. I’m currently using the fan shaped brush for removing sanding dust from panel lines etc.

Poundland also have these little make-up applicators. Slightly rubbery and ideal for weathering powders and ground up pastels/pencils.

4EXEXVo.jpg

Mart