Is something out there?

stevej60

10 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Santa on a pre-Christmas test flight!

Possibly,that said there were a lot of strange light's overhead last night looked like meteorites heading towards Penshaw monument!

All very fascinating but in this day and age with half the world's people walking around with high definition cameras as their constant companion you'd think someone would have captured a non grainy, non shaky picture by now. That and Bigfoot. 

I love all the alien stuff but there none of them visiting us unless the laws of physics are more flexible than we think.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, noelh said:

All very fascinating but in this day and age with half the world's people walking around with high definition cameras as their constant companion you'd think someone would have captured a non grainy, non shaky picture by now. That and Bigfoot. 

I love all the alien stuff but there none of them visiting us unless the laws of physics are more flexible than we think.

It is like when your child is doing something that is a Kodak moment but you do not have it handy or by the time to press the apps and get it up it is over. Honest people rather take selfies of themselves doing nothing or being stupid then actually look around at the world around them. Frankly some wouldn't know the difference between a commercial jet and something odd. Like a lot of things that there is strong evidence there is something actually to it yet dismiss it . l always go by that we do not know everything and there is more to this universe and what is in it then we realize. There is even science we have yet discover or just scratching the surface on e.g. quantum physics. We discover things on earth, in ourselves and in the heavens above all the time. Who knows they not be even aliens at all but future human historians visiting the past. No matter how advance or centuries ahead the technology it might still malfunction and they get caught out in the open. Never discount the impossible as in time it turns out to be the possible.

Hacker ....wiser then his years... not really still old and stupid lol

Is there something out there?  Yes.  Definitely, but unless our understanding of the maximum speed of a body in space is flawed (which is possible), they won't be coming here to play hide-and-seek unless they have a huge life expectancy and very high boredom threshold.  It would be folly to think we're the only place in this vast universe that developed (allegedly) intelligent life, but traversing interstellar distances puts a HUGE obstacle in the way to popping over the borrow a cup of space sugar :shrug:

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, hacker said:

It is like when your child is doing something that is a Kodak moment but you do not have it handy or by the time to press the apps and get it up it is over. Honest people rather take selfies of themselves doing nothing or being stupid then actually look around at the world around them. Frankly some wouldn't know the difference between a commercial jet and something odd. Like a lot of things that there is strong evidence there is something actually to it yet dismiss it . l always go by that we do not know everything and there is more to this universe and what is in it then we realize. There is even science we have yet discover or just scratching the surface on e.g. quantum physics. We discover things on earth, in ourselves and in the heavens above all the time. Who knows they not be even aliens at all but future human historians visiting the past. No matter how advance or centuries ahead the technology it might still malfunction and they get caught out in the open. Never discount the impossible as in time it turns out to be the possible.

I have to disagree on the attitude of people with cameras and mobile phones as the interest of people in taking pictures or videos of events is impressive. Videos taken by bystanders are becoming a large part of police investigations as it seems that whatever happens there's always someone ready to capture the event on camera.

This phenomenon is even leading to a new form of journalism where people who have totally different jobs are now reporting on events they come across accidentally.

The problem is that of course someone with no knowledge of a certain subject may give a totally wrong explanation to the event captured by his camera.

And of course anything taken on camera can be easily enough altered to prove whatever point he author wants. With an average mobile phone today even I could probably be able to make a video and modify it to represent an alien landing. We see the same everyday on various social media and not only...

Still, there seems to be no proper video of aliens around, maybe they are just camera shy...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hacker said:

Never discount the impossible as in time it turns out to be the possible.

I wouldn't necessarily discount anything you say Hacker, indeed I think we as humans have only scratched the surface in terms of the likes of quantum physics and indeed what we do know is often mind boggling, multiple universes, dark matter and the whole relativity thing. Yes what once seemed impossible is now possible. Some of the things I can do with my current communication device (Samsung S8) wasn't even envisaged as short a time as ten years ago. I saw something on the BBC which talked about Quantum computers in which they said it's possible that the reason they are so fast is that many they access alternative universes to make the calculations. This was totally new to me and tended to topple my gyros. When I researched it I found an explanation on an IBM website. I'm a former IBMer so I tend to believe what they say.

http://www.research.ibm.com/ibm-q/learn/what-is-quantum-computing/

On the other hand aliens. I have to say I remain dubious. I'm an avid viewer or the H2 channel. If you've watched this there is an unrelenting diet of alien stuff from people with silly hair and a tendency to wear sunglasses indoors and at night. Every human achievement was initiated by aliens and Roswell is clearly an alien spacecraft crash when it's self evident it was a secret balloon experiment which was covered up, Operation Mogul. That like many other so called UFO sightings were actually military experiments which the were usefully covered up by letting people think they were something else. 

I think for some people aliens have replaced God and spirits and other mythological creatures. No reasonable person can believe in fairies and angels anymore but aliens? Yes go for it. Grey creatures with big eyes who are mysteriously interested in us humans. Sure haven't we seen all those Star Treks, Star wars and everything in between.

We humans love a story and we love to make things up. That's the whole basis of religions after all. So nothing new there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimpion said:

It's a remarkable coincidence that alien spacecraft design closely follows the fashion trends of Hollywood sci-fi films.

I attended a conference a few weeks ago where the speaker (a researcher in astrophysics) mentioned this same thing. He also showed the results of an analysis on the most common shapes of UFOs reported in the different years. The shapes were clearly evolving according to whatever the idea of "futuristic" was at the time, moving from the simpler discs of the early '50s to the addition of fins not dissimilar from those seen on late '50s US cars, then to more angular designs and so on...

• Like 1

Think about the SR71 and how many year's ago it became operational,even the F-35 with the advances in technology and construction get's

nowhere near it  fifty plus year's later,I think our American cousin's have stuff even their own pilot's can't comprehend and it doesn't just get

tested in the middle of the desert!

• Like 2

I believe entirely that there are aliens. But I don't believe they are on Earth, or have ever visited.

There are trillions of stars out there, so why would we be the only ones?

If a staggeringly advanced alien craft picked up our never ending broadcast of murder; greed, stupidity etc. and studied our bloody history (and present) I can't imagine them to be particularly impressed. If it does impress them, I really hope they never visit.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:20, Mike said:

Is there something out there?  Yes.  Definitely, but unless our understanding of the maximum speed of a body in space (which is possible) is flawed, they won't be coming here to play hide-and-seek unless they have a huge life expectancy and very high boredom threshold.  It would be folly to think we're the only place in this vast universe that developed (allegedly) intelligent life, but traversing interstellar distances puts a HUGE obstacle in the way to popping over the borrow a cup of space sugar :shrug:

Didn't stop me did it Mike?

Martian

• Haha 3

Lord Lucan. He was one of them. That moustache and tight facial skin were clearly some kind of suit built from scavenged materials. Nick Clegg - he used to glint funny in daylight, and no-one ever actually remembers seeing him blink. Huw Edwards - he's another one. I don't for one minute believe that he's actually Welsh. If you record him reading the news and slow it down by 50% he's clearly talking two different languages at once that speeded-up only happens to sound like a Glamorgan accent.

Janet Street Porter. Speaks for itself does that.

I want to believe.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Didn't stop me did it Mike?

Martian

Ah, but you're almost the neighbour next door.  Give your interstellar Stannah a decent boost out of Mars orbit, and you'll be here in a couple of weeks, depending on whether you've got enough fuel for the slow-down at t'other end of course ;)

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Do you lot mean to tell me that Close Encounters of the Third Kind wasn't a documentary....:(

Keith

Yes it was. I know because my cousin Kang who shares three of the same mothers as me featured as the principal alien. So there!

Martian

• Haha 3