Mach 2's General Dynamics RB-57F 1/72 - Better Pictures

hsr

This kit took way to long to complete, and for me that is a real mojo killer and causes a bad case of get-it-done-itis which in this case caused the decals to suffer, more on that later. The problem was not that it was a Mach 2 kit, again more on that later, but its large size, a natural metal finish and a relatively large number of paint colors. A weeks vacation in the middle didn't help either. Since I retired I have averaged 2-3 weeks per project and this one took a little over 4 weeks. This is my 7th Mach 2 and as far as the plastic is concerned I would rank it as one of their better ones, far superior to my last build, their E-1B. The main issues were the soft plastic is not conducive to building a large heavy plane and lead to a couple split joints, but the main issue is that no feature on the right side lined up with the corresponding feature on the left side. This was especially bad and annoying when it came to the wing roots. I pretty much fixed that, but I will not show you a picture from directly above over graph paper:D. I used the Pavla interior, but knowing that the "transparency" would be only translucent at best I didn't spend a lot of time on it. I had a hard time getting enough weight in the nose and it just sits on the node wheel. The decals where a major issue. My previous experience with Mach 2 decals was that they were far better then the plastic and in some cases really excellent. Not this time. while thin they were very stiff, or rigid. They refused to snuggle down and were impervious to all decal solvents know to man. I mostly go them to look OK, but I had to give them a top coat which I don't usually like to do with a NMF. But enough whining and on to the pictures. 

GXmPK228_o.jpg

jDxmFNm0_o.jpg

zVabXN2u_o.jpg

gOibgy11_o.jpg

bUMSsiSy_o.jpg

Before you ask, the wings should drop enough the the wing tips are even with the bottom of the fuselage.

aHHkGMG4_o.jpg

WsiA3j8R_o.jpg

t0eOWJHl_o.jpg

tBfdjcbG_o.jpg

rTOO1bX9_o.jpg

Next up is the Testors/Italeari F-21A Lion, aka ISI Kfir. 

• Like 23

An excellent result.

I bought one of these at Telford in November. I've always been a bit wary of Mach 2 kits (for all the well known reasons) but took a risk because I want a NASA B-57 in my collection. You got a fantastic result. The canopy certainly seems to be the weakest link in the build. I think I might have a go at making an acetate crash moulded alternative if I ever get around to building it. It certainly looks impressive.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. In this thread 

it is mentioned that the Italieri canopy can be used. I just didn't want to buy an entire kit just for the canopy

Last night when I took the pictures it was dark in the house, being night, so the pictures came out dark. In my attempt to lighten them up I made them kind of grainy. So today when it was lighter I took new ones and didn't lighten them, so they came out much less grainy. Enjoy