"Dodging" the Active Runway - 1/35 Flying Control WC51

Once I owned the real truck, I continued the Flying Control conversion, and its look began to change compared to that of the model, based on the truck at the time of purchase.

dodge59.jpg

sedgefield10.jpg

dodge60.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

dodge61.jpg

The real Dodge is seen here with some canvas doors from its time in the Norwegian Army. I have a feeling there were additional parts I didn't have, because even with the canvas back fitted, the doors didn't cover the whole of the side of the cab.

dli_jan1.jpg

dodge62.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

dodge63.jpg

The sides of the Dodge were sealed up in early 2011, and windows fitted to keep it warmer for my young daughter when going to shows. I'd also made some new canvas covered wooden doors which filled the whole of the cab opening back to the rear body.

croft12.jpg

dodge64.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

dodge65.jpg

croft38.jpg

Then in 2012, I got a Ford GPW Jeep as a wreck and spent a couple of years rebuilding it. It was back on the road in 2014 to join the rest of the fleet. As yet, I haven't made a model of that one!!

croft23.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

The back of the real Dodge continued to evolve and gradually was fitted out with more equipment. A BC-375 transmitter was found, plus two BC-348 receivers, Aldis lamps and other tuning units.

blyth2.jpg

I built an observers chair for under the dome, built to look like a recycled B-17 pilots seat, but actually doubling up as a child seat for my daughter's isofix car seat when mounted on floor rails on the left side of the truck.

2015_obs_seat97.jpg croft7.jpg

I did some 1/1 scale modelling making some dummy flare cartridges for the M8 Pyro Pistol.

flare10.jpg  flare6.jpg

On the other side of the truck to the radio set up is a weather station, giving wind direction and speed, temperature, pressure, humidity, plus two clocks for time. The US and UK forces used different time during the war! The US used GMT while the UK had BST and Double BST.

waw5.jpg

I don't think I'll ever update the model to match the real truck as it is now, because I'd have to pull a lot of the back to bits to fit the interior details. I'm happy to leave it as a reminder of the Dodge when purchased.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3