Supermarine Walrus catapult...any drawings ?

ODB

I do not know of any drawings, but there have been a number of catapults built by both modellers and model engineers over the years.

This link will give you an RN training film on catapulting a Walrus with a lot of information:

Aagh! Self-loading youtube.....oops.

I have searched Google with no success in finding drawings so far, but there must be some combination of words in the search box that will succeed!

John

• Like 2

Oliver,

The best place to look is on model shipbuilding websites like Steel Navy.

The USA, Japan, Italy and Germany all made different catapults to launch reconaissance aircraft from cruisers and battleships.

They were all different in design.

Look for etch brass in 1/700 or 1/350 scale that can be used to detail Royal Navy (or Royal Australian or New Zealand Navy) cruisers that have the etch for making catapults.

They are few; Gold Model did make an etch set in 1/700 back in 2004-2005 with the parts for a catapult. It is long out of production but there are images on Google.

I have not ever seen any proper drawings, but have seen models.

British catapults for cruisers and battleships all were made of steel; angle iron, like cross braced framework.

Very little smooth sheet steel was used.

Also each catapult was served by a crane to lift the aircraft onto the catapult trolley.

I hope this helps, mt apologies but I know no more.

John

Oh, try this link here on britmodeller, 1/350 etch with some catapult parts for HMS Belfast:

And also so the same "Maritime reviews' and then 'Aftermarket' is a similar etch for the battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Edited by sanguin
Brain fade. Again.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ship Modeller magazine(?) had plans of a McTaggart-Scott catapult in the late 1980s. I have the magazine and photocopy somewhere. I found them yesterday, but rather than breach copyright, I also did a search on the web. 

There is a fantastic build by a Singaporean modeller over on Military Modelling and he has all the details of plans. 

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=131085

HTH

Tony

Edited by Tony Rigby
Updated information
  • Like 1