Revell Airbus A319 British Airways A319 1/144

Slowly getting there with the decals.

Have the 26 Decals sheet for the cockpit and cabin windows.  I am also using the 26 sheet for the tail.  Had to use the kit decals for the swish as the 26 one crumbled before my eyes.  Hope that doesn’t happen again or I’m snookered.  Hate the decalling stage and there are lots!

Possibly one more update before she’s done.  

49917065447_dd92409653_b.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Finally, an update!

On the final stretch and applying decals.  A lot of errors - many my own and many with this particular kit - but I’m still Fairly happy with how it’s turning out.

A319 Build

A319 Build

A319 Build

A319 Build

The blue is Vallejo Model Air French Blue.  The wings are a mix of Model Air colours but can’t remember which ones off the top of my head.  revell Aqua Color is also used and the white is Halfords Appliance White.

May be decalling for a while and then there’s the undercarriage but not far off now...

That is a really crisp blue!  I like it a lot.

The masking looks very precise.

It's going to be a beautiful finish!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Moa said:

Excellent job!

Keep at it, it's looking great!

1 hour ago, neilg said:

That is a really crisp blue!  I like it a lot.

The masking looks very precise.

It's going to be a beautiful finish!

Thank you chaps!

Got some blooming on the engines around the decals.  I’m sure I read this happens and will go away with a further coat of gloss.

I did gloss with Klear / Future on the engines but I have now moved on to Humbrol Clear which seems more glossy, dries quicker but doesn‘t like Being over brushed.

Tamiya X-22 was a disaster and led to frosting on the engines which I had to fix.  Probably my airbrushing technique but the Johnsons and Humbrol stuff brushes on nice.  The Tamiya leaves brush strokes although may do better thinned down.

I’ll probably hit the wings with a blend of W&N gloss and matt to tone them down a little.

25 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Thank you chaps!

Got some blooming on the engines around the decals.  I’m sure I read this happens and will go away with a further coat of gloss.

I did gloss with Klear / Future on the engines but I have now moved on to Humbrol Clear which seems more glossy, dries quicker but doesn‘t like Being over brushed.

Tamiya X-22 was a disaster and led to frosting on the engines which I had to fix.  Probably my airbrushing technique but the Johnsons and Humbrol stuff brushes on nice.  The Tamiya leaves brush strokes although may do better thinned down.

I’ll probably hit the wings with a blend of W&N gloss and matt to tone them down a little.

I brushed on Humbrol gloss on mine, and had no issues with blooming.

I suffered from an awful case of suspected blooming on my B-2, and it went away with another coat of satin varnish.  I'm not sure what reacted with what, but it only appeared after a few hours.

The Humbrol gloss has been great so far, but I haven't had much luck with the spray can of it - the nozzle seems to keep spraying even after I let go of the button, which ends up in spatters and droplets all over the model...

• Like 1

Getting close to leaving Warrington Airbus factory and be handed over to BA... Or a shelf somewhere...

Still a lot of little decals to apply and then the mounting of the engines, rear stabs and undercarriage, but the big, fiddly ones are on.

The windows proved to be a P.I.A. And I wound up cutting them into smaller sections so I could get them on straight.  They are from the 26 Decals sheet.  They are nice decals but less forgiving to a novice like me than the kit supplied ones, which are also nice but only have transparent windows.

This will be registration G-EUPH.  No particular reason.

The current B.A. livery has undergone subtle changes over the years and none of the decal sheets allowed me to do her as she looks now.  So this will be a composite.

49928032237_f51394c848_b.jpg

49928036692_d498071500_b.jpg

also managed to spill a bottle of Microsol.  Half of it gone and it’s hard to find except for silly prices on Amazon.  Hopefully no more accidents!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi,

This is looking really nice.

I hate doing those lines along the coroguard though, don't you?

Not long now before RFI!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian!

I was thinking about drawing them on as I wasn’t looking forward to it.  I’ve only done one so far which went ok.  More luck than anything.

I remember trying to do the thin yellow/gold strip on my Titanic model and just wanting to scream at the bloody thing!

So far the window strips have been the toughest part but they’re done thankfully.  Now just lots of tiny, fiddly, almost invisible decals.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, calling an end to this WIP...

Just have a little work to do to the undercarriage and the adding of the ‘fiddly bits’ to the upper and lower fuselage and it’s done!

49975880117_112480c7e2_b.jpg

• Like 1