Mirror Models Diamond T Wrecker

BlackMax12

Really making tremendous progress on your build. Amazed that you've already been able to lay down a coat of paint. In no way trying to hijack your thread; you've managed to force me to pull my dump truck of the shelf of doom and actually start cleaning up some bits and gluing parts on. Can't wait for your next installment.

qofjal9.jpg

Thanks Hamden

Thanks Chris

Arkbuilder

That dump truck looks pretty impressive.  The chassis is almost the same as this wrecker with the obvious big cylinder for lifting the dump box. Nice neat

assembly so far.  I noticed you have the front wheels steerable.  I tried but the stub axles the brake drums attach to are so flimsy the wheels sagged in on the top.

I resorted to making them straight ahead and gluing them solid then letting that dry over night. Still a bit of excess camber on the wheels but not too bad. 

I found I had to put a piece of 0.040" Evergreen styrene under the rear of the cab, atop the crossmember to make it sit level with the hood at the front. I don't

know if it was my assembly or what but it was lower at the rear of the cab.  The cab doors don't fit very well as you've probably found so I glued one shut

and the driver's door is the worst fitting so it stays open. The side mirror supports are way too long so trimmed about 3/8" off them to put the mirrors in 

a more realistic location.

I started on the wrecker yesterday by building the two booms.  They are fun, multi piece constructs with the usual poor fitting and huge sprue gate problems. 

The tower part is fun with lots and lots of sanding and trial fits for the main frame members, I might get back to that today if I can find some ambition.

Still looking for some white decal numbers and letters for the driver's door, not much luck so far.  This unit was the only one in the group that had a bench

vise mounted on the front bumper, if I can find one in 1/35 scale. If not it may get a block of plastic under a canvas cover to simulate the vise.

This is certainly a hand full and I'm sure your dump truck isn't much better, I think my volunteering days are over, LOL.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Edited by BlackMax12

On 12/23/2017 at 9:47 AM, BlackMax12 said:

Thanks Julian

It's going to have some serious weathering to cover up some of the flubs and there's still some details to add to the cab like mirrors and headlights, a prop rod for the hood

and the windshield wipers.

I've been looking ahead at the wrecker portion and I think that's going to be as bad or worse than the chassis.  There's a ton of small parts

and they probably won't fit any better.

The person's grandpa drove a unit in British marking with a long number on the door.  There aren't enough of the numbers in the decal sheet

and the markings are for US forces so I'm going to have to find some white number decals.  I think the number was something like H4721555 from his photos

and I'm trying to find some decals or dry transfers to fit the bill.  So far no luck.

There was also a vise mounted on the front bumper and where does one get a 1/35 scale vise?  It may not end up as an exact duplicate of grandpa's machine.

Take care,

Lloyd

I think there is a vice in the Italeri tool-set, I'll try and get into my stash over Christmas. Might be able to help you out there. Once again Lloyd, you have done an amazing job so far, very sincere compliments :worthy::worthy:

Christmas Eve

The wrecker module is almost finished except to install the pulleys on the boom ends.  The wrecker and the truck box are just sitting in place waiting on some paint as it will be

impossible to paint in place.  Then it's string some cables, finish the tools and add chains, spare tire and junk.

Still haven't found any white numbers/letters for the door so it's not in place yet either.

Interesting and sometimes very frustrating build with poor parts fit, terrible amount of sprue gates and cleanup and mediocre instructions but it actually looks not bad.

9pwizS3.jpggyiKGge.jpgUQ1vR2i.jpgl6Y0QZH.jpgDwC1WnW.jpg

• Like 4

Those photos of the completed wrecker are a real teaser! It looks fantastic: unusual but extremely detailed and begging for figures and a diorama/vignette. Your wrecker looks well on the way to becoming a gem, so stick with it (even if some of the parts are hard to stick);)

I wish you and your family a happy Christmas and new year and good health to you LLoyd,

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder

You are up awful early for a Christmas morning.

This is going to it's owner eventually and he is making a wooden based display case for it.  I think he is going to give it to his grandpa as a model of his WWII

unit.

I hope I can come up with the numbers for the door and I'll try to fade the heck out of the OD as the b&w pictures he gave me showed a pretty beat up unit.

This kit has been an adventure but the end is getting closer after 50 odd hours so far just in building.

Merry Christmas and the best in the New Year to you and yours also.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Here is the beast as of today.  Still needs lettering if I can find some, chain and hook on front winch, grab irons bent up for the rear mudflaps and the mudflaps installed and some serious

paint fading and dirt. And windshield wipers if I can find them.

Also have some pics of pictures of grandpa's unit from WWII so this will have lots of photos.

RffbefN.jpgP3Iu1Ik.jpgWYqVZTL.jpgnOltFNj.jpgxhRJfpI.jpg1nGy6oa.jpgzgl9qRJ.jpg1eZhbKN.jpgbbRinfA.jpgdUwuKFZ.jpg8GecJPu.jpgzLzTzOJ.jpglhuVNtT.jpgyRUqlEG.jpgnequEhI.jpg2IPUUSZ.jpg01QWnBw.jpg

• Like 6

try star decals they do a sheet for diamond ts tank transporters in 35th  with cutting you may get the numbers and a fair few aos from your photo its a Canadian unit  you can see the maple leaf on fender and aos 72 on the other side 35-961 is sheet number

Edited by steve0
added part number

Steve0

I'm amazed.  Gremlin56 pointed me to a tools set with a bench vise and now you have shown the way to Star Decals.  In my hunt I found Star Decals but

didn't look far enough as they have a load of different decal sets.  I'll give them another try, especially now you gave me the set number.

I had to paint that Maple Leaf decal white and it turned out not bad and was thinking of doing the same with some black numbers I have but I'm too shaky for that I think.

This site is awesome, I really appreciate all of the tips and help from everyone.

Thanks again Steve

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Arkbuilder

I'm waiting now to get the numbers and the vise and can't install the wipers yet as I want to dirty the windshield and leave the area relatively clean where the wipers would swipe.

I found some black chain at Michael's today and added some more chain hanging from the tailgate and the wrecker tower.  I had to carve a horn from a piece of sprue and

mount it on the panel between the two hood halves.  Doesn't look much like a trumpet air horn but after 2 tries I said it's good enough. I noticed in one of the pics there are actually 2 

horns but mine is only getting one.

There's some kind of rack above the wrecker tower with what looks like bedrolls or tarps but I think it's missing on this model.  Thought about it but decided to leave it alone.

Your dump truck looks decent so far but you can't go much farther without getting at the airbrush. It could be tricky to paint that box if it's attached to the chassis.  I had thought about brake lines and fuel lines

but this model will be in a display case and all that extra detail would be lost and probably not appreciated so I nixed that thought.  If you are going to detail the chassis and since the dump box lifts up it's probably a good idea

now is the time to start, it would really look good. With all of the detail Mission provided I wonder why there's no brake hoses and fuel lines.

Thanks for looking and appreciate the comments.  BTW it only looks easy, not very much, I've only got 5 hairs left and they are white.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Ordered the Italeri tool set as per Gremlin56 so I'll have a bench vise for the front bumper.

Ordered the Star Decals Diamond T Transporter set as per Steve0 so I'll finally have those white letters and numbers.

Thanks again guys.

When all of that shows up I can finally finish this animal off and pass it on to the owner.  I'd like to see it weathered up but too soon yet.

In the meantime I've built a rack over the cab, Canadian, eh?  Added some chains, spare hoist cables  and more junk.  So this one is on hold until the orders come and I'm going back to the

1/16 scale Panzer IV, that's a relief.

The driver's door got hit by a 1:1 finger and needs some straightening, oops.

6TBEAjp.jpgK6Ahlj1.jpg65JMxdz.jpgGblpV8R.jpgG4tJacy.jpgRQLm5BB.jpgAwdEnBx.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

the 72 should be in a square split  red green on the diagonal  its  army service corps of an infantry division the maple leaf to should be in a coloured square if you find the divisions number we can tell the colour