First experiment at posting a pic!

Ok so I guess that didn't work!

Any suggestions?  I've copied the url from the Flickr pic into the "insert other media"  box the url number turns pink and then??

The Flickr setting is public by the way.

Thanks Darryl 

• Sad 1

Hello Jasper Dog,

FWIW I think you have just been very unlucky with your timing of your first attempt to post a picture. In the past what you did always worked but about two days ago it seems something changed with Flickr and now many of us (all of us?) can’t post pics from Flickr any more. 

No one seems to know why this is the case or how to fix or work around this issue.

Steve

Hi Steve

If anyone can be unlucky with timings it'll be me, typical!

After reading through a similar set posting about Flickr I see it's not just me.

Think I'll hang fire for a day or two see if anything is resolved before looking elsewhere for a replacement, glad I only put half a dozen on it now.

Thanks Darryl 

• Like 1

Yep, that’s what I’m doing too. Just hanging about for a bit to see if any clever person can work out what the issue is. I’m hoping that it’s just some unintended side-effect of a change made to Flickr and that they will correct it soon, but that’s just a hope, it’s not based on any technical knowledge on my part.

Well, that worked but I had to use the BBCode option instead of the more useful EMBED.

Was there any forum updates lately? Yesterday on Hyperscale, someone had posted that this forum was down. I couldn't get on until late afternoon, local time.

Has there been some issue or a change made?

Chris

• Thanks 1

If I knew what  a BBcode was I might stand a chance....

Working from my phone I don't seam to have options of embed or BBcode it's just a simple (which is ideally suited to me) copy url and paste, which apparently is, up until I tried the other day how it used to work, lucky me!

I believe the embed BBcode etc are possible from a laptop etc but to use my Flickr acc from there it wants me to open  Yahoo?? acc. (Is this correct?)

Bearing in mind the  beauty of doing it from the phone means I can do it whilst spending "quality" time with the current Mrs M:idea:.

Funny this since joining I haven't even so much as sniffed at a plastic kit!!!!

Is the posting pics via carrier pigeon option still available and if so where should I send them?

Cheers

Hello Jasperdog,

i must admit that I am no expert at such matters and also know nothing of BBCode. One option that has been Suggested to me is to switch to ‘postimage.org’. If I can’t nut out Flickr tonight I think l’ll give them a try.

Hello dogsbody,

yes Britmodeller was ‘down’ recently for a while - I believe it was a maintenance software upgrade but don’t know for sure. I guess therefore that the issue is possibly related to this change but I really don’t know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Well, that worked but I had to use the BBCode option instead of the more useful EMBED.

Was there any forum updates lately? Yesterday on Hyperscale, someone had posted that this forum was down. I couldn't get on until late afternoon, local time.

Has there been some issue or a change made?

Chris

We performed a minor update on Wednesday, I think? It was a maintenance update, and then on Friday our hosts did a major infrastructure change, which had us and thousands of other sites offline for most of Saturday. That last one didn't affect our server at all, but just cut us off from the Internet for a while.

I'd do some Google research if I were you to see whether the Flickr thing is worldwide, and what the reasons are. You could also contact Flickr support. Incidentally, all you need is the picture URL, so don't copy any code over from their site other than that. Just paste in the URL and hit enter or space.

If I get chance later I'll try & find out a bit about it, but don't rely on me, as I've got the world's worst memory ;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike,

any assistance / advice appreciated.

I’m going to spend a bit of time trying to look into this but I’m not highly ‘tech savvy’ so don’t know how far I’ll get. If I can’t nut this out I’m going to give postimage.org a whirl.

Hi Mike et-al,

Have a look at the text below in italics - this is text dircetly copied from a current message (posted a day or so ago) to flickr's support line.  

wrgilman says:

I have always been able to put a link in an on-line forum post that points to a photo in my Flickr account. I would go to my album, find the photo I want, right click and select "Copy Link Location" and then post that link in the on-line forum. The photo would then display, but now I just get a message that say the photo can't be displayed because of a Flickr error. Photos that I linked to in prior forum posts still show up just fine. What's up? This just started a day or so ago.

Other users of the forum are having the same issue. I've tried different browsers (Firefox, Edge, Chrome) and they all have the same issue. My permissions are set to public, and I haven't changed anything since I set up the Flickr account.

I hope you're not following Photobucket and restricting "third party hosting."

This is an exact description of the problem that we have encountered - so unless 'wrgilman' is another britmodeller member (and let's face it the chances are a million to one) I think that we can conclude that the problem is Flickr specific and not at Britmodeller's end.

I have replied to his support case explaining that I've had exactly the same issue and will be watching for a reply. In the meantime I'm trying to work out what a 'BBCode' is - more out of curiosity that anything -I think I'm about to start looking for a new photo hosting service.

Steve

If it's any help to anyone, I use a slightly different method to post images from Flickr. On the page of the image you want to post, click on the white arrow pointing down with a line below it. You get a pop-up window with a range of image sizes listed. At the bottom of that list, there's an option to 'view all sizes'. Click on that, and the image will open in a new page. Right-click on the image and select 'copy image address' then go back to Britmodeller and paste that link into your post. The image will appear, then you can continue adding more images or text.

38803720751_f391bf0995_b.jpg

Hope that helps

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 3

AndyRM101 - you are a legend!

That works! Thank you. 

A little bit more involved than just coping and pasting the URL but at least it works!

Was slowly nutting out the BBCode thing but this will do nicely.

Thanks again!

👍👍👍

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you @AndyRM101! Your method works today for me in Firefox 57, although it didn't work yesterday when I first tried it. Something is up at Flickr, not sure what - but people are complaining like mad on their Help forum. Nice post titles, too, like "Is Flickr Dead?" I believe that Flickr (Yahoo) just had a change of ownership, Verizon maybe? New owners bring new policies I'm afraid.

@Bandsaw Steve - the odds may be a million to one, but that wrgilman rascal over at Flickr be me.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1