PK-13 N.A. P-51D Mustang 'Dooleybird' ~~Finished~~

Black Knight

I really expected that someone else would have entered this one by now

I bought this one just the other day specifically to fill the gap

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2001s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2002s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2003s-M.jpg

If I remember correctly after all so many years this is possibly the first Matchbox kit I built when Matchbox first got plastic models into the shops

Back then I built it as Dooleybiird and I wanted to do it again, and I shall but not with the kit decals.

A previous owner has cut the decal sheet, some Dooleybird decals are missing and although this sheet looks fine in the picture some of the markings have micro sized cracks through them

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2004s-S.jpg

I can save a few of the decals with LDF, but I'll buy the Model Alliance decal sheet which has Dooleybird on it; https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML72113

Some of the Matchbox parts are poor in design so I'll replace them with better parts from my parts files. The parts to change include the wheels and drop tanks [although I may leave those off and alter the wings to build it 'clean']

Back later; I have some Hawker Tempests, Sepecat Jaguars and a couple of other Matchbox kits to do yet

• Like 5

So good to see ‘Dooleybird’ making a presence here. Roy Huxley’s superb artwork would have to be one of Matchbox’s most iconic box art designs. I would think that many of us that are this kits vintage would certainly have had one of these kits during Matchbox’s heyday. 

Now this may sound silly - however I would buy this kit again just for the box art alone, for it brings back so many happy memories. I hope that when Airfix release their 1/48 Mustang IV kit, they use their artistic licence to depict this aircraft in similar flying configuration. 

Well done Black Knight for treating us with so many exciting builds. You're gonna have a busy 6-8 weeks ahead of you. The GB Build list will be updated after I get out of bed! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

The one I've been waiting for! Great to see this kit taking it's rightfull place' I'm with Dave on this one there are some kits who's box art takes you

back to happy day's when the biggest decision you had to make was which kit you were going to spend your pocket money on next,looking 

forward to this one,hope you don't mind a photo of my Tamiya 1/48 kit which I had tobuild in this scheme,

DSCN4108_zpsjszrqik5.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

Dear Steve,

really nice build, but afaik, wrong blue colour around the Cockpit, and missing anti-glare olive between the blue stripes on top the cowling,  wrong Propeller and wrong underside of the engine . You did a P-51D, as far I can see it on you picture, but  Dooleybird was a Mustang MK IV with a different Propeller and cooling stripes on the side of engine cowling.

I did this Bird, out of an Matchbox Kit some days ago:

p95ems55.jpg

@Black Knight: You should use, as I did, the superb conversation kit from Frightdog:

https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/freightdog-1-72-n-a-mustang-mk-iva-conversion.html

Best Regards

Stefan

• Like 1

Hi Stefan,you are quite correct I did not make the changes to the prop or add the grills to the cowling as I tend not to go for 100% accuracy,

I did look into the argument's which still rage over the scheme on this aircraft and the concencus seemed to go with the blue as only one

photograph exists and most agreed that from said  photograph that the shade on the upper cowling matched the chequer board colour

behind the prop,one thing that also struck me was (as the link explain's) Arthur Doley was aware of the kit strange he did'nt mention the

wrong scheme to Matchbox,anyway your's certainly is a great build so we'll agree to diagree over the colour and enjoy Black knight's build.

All the best Steve.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/dooleybird-mustang-pilots-logbook-donation/

• Like 5

Thank you Steve for that reply

We'll not have any arguments on here

I intend to go blue on the canopy surround. I'll change the prop to an uncuffed one from an Airfix D/K kit as the Matchbox cuffed prop is a bit odd looking and the spinner is too blunt for my liking.

Altho I said I'll not start this, I have.  I've started by cutting open the carb intake under the prop. Next will be the rear wheel well and the radiator cooler opening and flap. On the wings I've shaved off the bumps meant to be the bomb/tank shackles - I'll use ones from an Italeri kit as it can be seen in one photo Dooleybird had them. The Matchbox fuselage needs the MkIV grills - I'll do these using micro-strip

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The Matchbox fuselage needs the MkIV grills - I'll do these using micro-strip

For the Matchbox Dooleybird that I started (and finished, then stripped the paint from and started again, and haven't finished) for the recent P-51 GB, I used a set of Red Roo louvres (on the second paint). They weren't expensive and they look pretty darn good to me.

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-172/p-51-air-intake-louvre-cover-172-scale/

I can't post a photo as I don't have one and I'm away from home, but if you would like to see them in situ and can wait for a couple of days, I'll do so when I'm back home.

Edit. Note that to be a little more accurate (only a little, it IS a Matchbox kit after all) you really need the needle bladed Aeroproducts propellor on the front. I'm not sure what the Airfix kit has, but if it's either of the Hamilton Standard versions it won't look right. I used the Red Roo set and stuck them to the Matchbox hub.

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-172/p-51k-aeroproducts-prop-blades-172/

Thanks for posting this image Stefan, I have not seen this before. So are we trying to compare the fuselage and canopy band to the nose checks or outer ring of the fuselage roundel? I’m fully aware of the issues trying to decipher B&W photos however I cannot see any difference between the band and ‘known’ medium blue nose checks. Therefore (to my eye) I’d go for Medium blue over yellow. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave

• Like 1

OK; enough already

I'm going with blue on the cowling/canopy stripe

I'm making the Mk.IV grill with micro-strip

I'll be using an Airfix K prop; altho it needs altered and Airfix spinner

[I've done these alterations before]

I'll be using resin wheels and a white-metal tail wheel unit

I'll be using Italeri bomb shackles and

I'll be using plastic card and anything else which comes to mind later

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Now that my F-16 is finished I can concentrate on this.

A bit of a change of plan of where the spares come from

Main wheels are spares from another kit, the tail wheel is from a metal u/c set

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2007s-M.jpg

A replacement seat is from another kit. I built up the battery and radio with thick plastic card

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2005s-M.jpg

On the left, the cheese wedge kit exhaust stubs, on the right spares from another kit

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2006s-M.jpg

I bought a set of resin props to get one which is correct for Dooleybird

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2008s-M.jpg

Parts of the fuselage have been cut away; for the radiator flap and tail wheel well

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2009s-M.jpg

• Like 10

Added scissors links to the main u/c legs. They need shortened by a few mm as well

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2011s-S.jpg

Added bulkheads inside the fuselage

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2010s-M.jpg

After a day of glueing and filling I have something which resembles a P51

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2012s-M.jpg

I've also added the pitot, the bomb/tank shackles, the main air intake mouth has also come from an Italeri kit, and I've drilled three divots for the under-wing lights

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2013s-M.jpg

After these were taken all the sanded areas got a brushing of thinned Green Stuff for a fine surface filler. That'll be rubbed down tomorrow and then the main painting begins.

I'll not be using those spare exhausts, they're the wrong type, I'll have to go back into my spares and dig out the right sort

Don't always trust a/m resin bits; the prop spinner I choose to use from the set was lop-sided. I've had to sand it to get it closer to right.

• Like 5

Over the last few days; matt black over all for primer/undercoat, then a few coats of Revell acrylic Aluminium, undercart on, gloss varnished, masked up and wing leading-edges painted yellow, Blue  cowling stripe and olive-drab anti-glare painted and white around the nose for the blue check decals

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2014s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2015s-M.jpg

The prop is assembled and painted, just needs the decals put on the blades. Canopy is painted and ready. Exhausts are ready to fit. At the last I've decided to put a pilot in, so he needs painted up

All being well this may well be finished later today

• Like 4

All done

As this is the Matchbox  Dooleybird I used the Matchbox Dooleybird decal and the numbers. National markings. the blue checks on the nose and QV-V came from the Model Alliance sheet

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2016s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2017s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2018s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2019s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2020s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2021s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2022s-M.jpg

Matchbox%20P-51%20Mustang%2C%2023s-M.jpg

• Like 9

Great result BK..

I like the way you've made the corrections to make a true Mustang IV and just between you and I (IMO) 'Dooleybird' with the blue stripe looks so much better than any other interpretation of KM272.  

That's another one chalked up for this GB, I've lost count how many you've committed too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Agree with stevehnz. You might have won me over as well. I have some Mustang's in the stash and with the ongoing P-51 stgb maybe its time to build the Dooleybird again. Think it was over 40 years ago I've built it the last time...

Cheers / André

• Like 1