1/72 Koolhoven FK-58, Azur

Fuad

Well finished indeed Fuad. It's not an aircraft I'm familiar with so thanks for posting. Just one thing though, I don't know if it's just me but I'd like to know a little more about the build. What kit is it, paint used etc, just to help us less gifted modellers along.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I don't know if it's just me but I'd like to know a little more about the build. What kit is it, paint used etc, just to help us less gifted modellers along.

In the set there are magnificent details of the engine and the wheels from resin and some photo-etched parts. The set is a typical "shortrun". There are some problems with the connection of the parts.
It took a lot of time to grind the edges of the wing. I grind them inside to a thickness of a sheet of paper, but plastic model glue corroded it and I had grind and putty many times again. For coloring, I used Tamiya on recipes. I cut the chips with a special silver pencil "Prizmacolor". Navigation lights are taken from sets of the Belarusian company "Elf".

• Like 3

Fuad! It is another excellent model built by you! Congratulations! I also love the choice of the airplane.

This particular airplane (No. 11) in early June 1940 was assigned to the Polish flight led by kpt. Jesionowski and was actively used initially in patrols in defence of Montpellier, then was moved to Clermont (with Koolhovens Nos. 5, 14, and 17). The pilots were por. Walerian Żak, ppor. Andrzej Malarowski and por. Bohdan Grzeszczak. The commander patiently demanded more planes and finally got airplanes numbered 8, 10 and 12. The flight performed at least 47 combat missions till the fall of France, and after that was evacuated South, finally numbers 5, 8, 10 and 14 were abandoned in Perpignan and 11 and 17 in Montpellier. The pilots went to Britain.

On one of the German-made photos of the abandoned airplanesin Monpellier, 11 has a Warsaw Mermaid (coat of arm of the Warsaw) painted on the side, between the washed number "11" and the tailplane - but the painting is barely visible, probably was made with washable paint or even chalk and existed only for some time. Here you can see it, but only barely:

FK-58-7.jpg

Better version of this photo has been published in the recent Polish Fighter Colours 1939-46 vol. I book

Jasionowski became in November 1940 commander of the Polish 308 squadron.

P-0702.Jasionowski.00.jpg

Walerian Żak later was a pilot of the famous Polish 303 squadron with 4 victories in BoB, then its commander, then 308 squadron commander, then Polish 3 Fighter Wing Commander.

Zak_s.jpg

Grzeszczak, 303 squadron pilot with 2 victories in BoB, is known from famous Battle of Britain photo (3rd from left):

Piloci_303.jpg

Malarowski became 303 squadron pilot too.
P-0527.Malarowski.00.jpg

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

It looks a bit like a Fokker D.XXI with retractable landing gear.

Sure you are right! It was designed by the same man, E.Schatzki who moved from Fokker to Koolhoven shortly before the war.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 2

Fuad, 

That is simply stunning, one of your best yet, the subtle tonal differences between panels, the weathering and paint chipping are sublime and as always photographed so well it tricks the viewer into thinking it's in a larger scale!!

Great work,

Rich

Fuad,

You've done it, again! I've always liked the looks of this little fighter, but haven't worked up the nerve to build mine- I doubt I will be able to  match yours, though. Very restrained but very realistic paint chipping on this one. Well done, sir! (Any big problems with the kit, BTW?)

Mike