RPM 1/35 polish tankette converted into tractor converted into wermacht converted into destroyed and i think that's all

well a little introduction to explain the weird title:  this is a bit of an experiment on different levels.

First i've seen these kits made by RPM, very peculiar subjects, coming very cheap ( this one was around 6€ ), scale 1/35 also provided with interiors, was curious to see what you get at such a cheap price.

2nd, wanted to do a little bit of modding, 3th wanted to simulate an explosion damage, 4th wanted to paint a burnt tank. Well i've done all of the above on this kit wich was the perfect choice coming so cheap to tear it down without the pain of thinking about the wallet crying, if it comes out good, good, if i butcher it nothing much is lost.

Originally this was a Polish tankette ( the kit doesn't provide any decals or paint scheme by the way ) but in this particular version the weapons are removed and the hull is converted to a generic tractor purpose. 

I had read about the polish TKS tankette that historically germans after invading poland captured and converted many of these little fellas and used them all trough the war for various purposes in almost all the theathers. So, since i'm also building a 1/35 normandy tiger, i decided to paint this model in Wermacht color scheme in order to use it as a decoration for the Tiger diorama display i'm planning to make.  That is also the reason why this little fella is weathered but not "dusted", as it's something i'll do when i'll blend it in the diorama, possibly some urban scenario with some dust and rubbles all around it.  I've decided to leave its right side in pristine conditions, in order to see how the kit would look like if built properly, and its left side representing the damage caused by an explosion ( possibly during a bombing ).

Modifications i've made on the original kit are:

- opened the back doors and removed the front door ( they are originally one piece with the top frame mould ). Changed the driving seat with a burnt frame seat. cut the skirt on the damaged side and put a metal one in its place in order to be able to bend it properly. Made the parts you can see in the trunk since you would not be supposed to see anything there. Added a front light from a tiger kit as i've seen pictures of german converted tankettes with added front lights. the rest is right as it comes with the kit.

two words on the kit: kit has its ups and downs, i would say there are more ups than down considered the price. Don't expect extreme quality but don't expect total crap too like the price would suggest. Details are good, lots of rivets, no sprue flash at all, amazing quantity of extra parts, two sets of tracks ( plastics coming with good details, and rubbery, with rubbish details ) even some textures on parts like the seats or the skirts, soft plastic easy to work with. On the downside the way its parts are designed it feels like an old kit, doesn't come togheter extremely well, need some reworks here and there and instructions are crappy, so it requires a little bit of experience and extra work to put it togheter. But it's extremely cheap, it's a particular subject, it's cute, if it tickles your curiosity or you want to use it, like i did, to make some experiments, i say give it a try.

Having said that, here are the pictures ( i apologize for having made them with my phone but i've no better camera at the moment ):

sgmLXWk.jpg

Jewz4Gy.jpg

9wh4EoG.jpg

tryba6C.jpg

KZQihhY.jpg

tryVJsF.jpg

EQThoSy.jpg

cU5oZn3.jpg

UvAlTWA.jpg

5CcEEs1.jpg

abFiOzE.jpg

and a picture just to make clear its size:

PKm8qEV.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 9

Excellent blown-up, burnt-out rendering. The only thing that made me go 'eh?' is the steering wheel. I can understand any leather grip being burnt off,(if one existed) but not how 1/3rd of the underlying metal 'wheel' was lost. If it were blown off by an explosion, directly, or indirectly (shrapnel) the forces involved would have buckled at least some of the remaining 'wheel'.

I look forward to your diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Really nicely executed model of an unusual subject.

Badder, I think the steering wheel is actually what the real thing is like, I found a sprue shot, look at the right sprue lower left here

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=U6hnjh7j&id=DD199D02707F20EEA0EB0B93C6DC4077AB2CE83E&thid=OIP.U6hnjh7jeWICW_oYtQls1gHaEu&q=Polish+TKS+Tankette+Interior&simid=607990607394836235&selectedIndex=30&ajaxhist=0