Lynx HMA 8 internals

moaning dolphin

Good Morning one and all,

I have just dusted off my 1:48 Airfix Lynx HMA8 and started to just put a few things together and there are a couple of areas I am having trouble with. Like the title says I cant seem to find good detail shots of certain areas of the Cabin. Externally I have plenty but with it being a Helo with two cabin doors I want to show off that detail inside.

The first area is the back wall, I have the Eduard etch set, so am removing the molded on detail. Before I go too deep I just want to make sure that the base is representative of the actual aircraft. I know each country and Army lynxs have a different set up. Some have different seat arrangements, I think the Army have a 'Broom cupboard' recess, so for a specific HMA 8 would it be the same as the kit part below? I am quite confident that the RN version would have the 3 pint harnesses.

20171211_194957

Next up is the mainframe between the cockpit and cabin

20171211_194107

The kit provides a plain molding but I believe there would be loads of rivet detail and inspection plates all over it and would like to have a go at some reasonably accurate detail, again this area seems to be neglected but would have thought it would have been similar all across the Navy Lynx world. Any info would be gratefully received for front, back and the inside face. I have gone through the pinned Navy threads and lots of walkarounds but alas cant find what I am looking for.

All through my Navy career I never really came near the Navy Lynx, working the repair section on MASU, I came across lots of Army lynx and wanted to model them but when I saw this kit in my LHS before the Army version I jumped at this. Just whittling down into shape at the moment but hoping to have it as a WIP as soon as I find out more on these areas.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Bob,

This is the best I've got to be honest. The harnesses are 4 point, the broom cupboard is hidden.

If you have the Eduard interior photo-etch the hoop frame pieces do a pretty convincing job.

I've just finished my 2nd one of these, so shout if you have any other questions.

39076392001_8aed303442_b.jpg

27298837459_6611e10c43_b.jpg

38366586324_63bf75d328_b.jpg

38366578464_cce9558b5a_b.jpg

25209915678_b1ecf98115_b.jpg

38179338224_958e2afd73_b.jpg

Red

54 minutes ago, RedBarron said:

This is the best I've got to be honest.

That's pretty darn good, gives me a good view of the back wall. Looks like I've got the wrong seat belts though. I've only got the cockpit fret and they only provide the 3 point set :doh:. Ill have to look at redoing some of that, at least not much will be seen that deep in plus the MS10 will hide a bit as well. 

I might have to have a look at the Eduard set for the frames then and try to copy something similar. I saw an old lynx that had soundproofing on the frames but I think that has now been removed, hmm :hmmm: gives me something to think about. Just don't fancy spending 30 bucks on more etch!

Should the cockpit be black? I know Seakings went that way, same for lynx?

Thanks again.

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin

Eduard only seem to provide 3 point belts for the passengers, i did what you have done and removed the moulded kit ones, re-scribed the sound proofing and made my own belts with Tamiya tape. The MS5 I scratch built, we very rarely flew without one.

I bought the Big Ed set which came with everything, some of it I used and some I didn't, you should be able to download the instructions from the Eduard site and see whether it is worth you buying or not.

The cockpit is a mixture of matt black and a grey which I think was called Dark Admiralty Grey, but don't quote me on that.

24233295437_b5f03a8d38_b.jpg

The cockpit window and windscreen frames, hoop frame, and glare shield are all black. The floor, cockpit sides, seat frames and instrument panel are grey.

Red

• Like 1

Here's Eduard's listing of 1/48 Lynx PE bits (although I did leave out the "Big Ed" set):

https://www.eduard.com/store/index.php?stoken=61C959A2&force_sid=d2ed93686fbf5f8af25eba91aeebe640&lang=1&currency=2&listtype=search&searchparam=Lynx&cl=search&tpl=&fnc=executefilter&attrfilter[]=&attrfilter[17]=1%2F48&attrfilter[14]=Photo+etched+parts

You can download PDfs of he instructions, or (I know it works this way on a Mac) you can read it right on the screen without downloading.

You’re right about inspection plates etc in the cabin floor, but we invariably operated with a plywood sheet covering that to protect it - what with Jack, mail, stores, and assorted Grubbers etc jumping in and out all the time, it would have taken a real pounding otherwise.  (I was Mk3 throughout my career, but I’ll be amazed if the Mk8 was any different).

I think (but it’s 20 years ago now, so memory plays tricks) that the plywood has holes drilled in it so you could get to the ring bolts in the floor, secure cargo nets etc.  All grey in my era except a few 815 HQ cabs that had the MCT fit so were NVG compatible

• Like 1

That's a great phot, I think from the way the kit floor is molded, it looks like it includes the freight floor. I do like the idea of the seat being removed and just having a whole load of crap dumped in the back, but then again I did want to tool her up with that whacking great gun sticking out the side. So for cabin gunning would they have had that big inflatable seat fitted or is the phot above a good representation. I would have thought the gunner would want to have a large clear area for moving around in?

Just making note of that multi coloured sound proofing as well! and one final question ....... for now at least lol, were the rear cabin seats ever folded up out of the way? or are they permanently set out as shown above?

Much obliged for the photos

Bob

The kit floor has the freight floor moulded, it is covered in a self adhesive black grippy stuff a bit like sand paper. The aircraft in the photo was set up for boarding operations so had the 'whacking great gun' on the left hand side. For cabin gunning then no, they didn't have the 4 man inflatable seat fitted, as you say for space to move. This photo shows the aircraft set up for boarding operations, where snipers would be in the back and would sit and shoot from the right hand cabin door, should things get out of hand, the 0.5" M3M heavy machine gun is fitted to the left hand side to reply with. The eagle harness gives them something to hold onto to stop them rolling around the cabin during manoeuvres.

Regarding all the crap in the back, the white nylon lashings are hung on the back of the pilot's seat. The electrical looking thing in the middle of the floor is a dropper lead which is fitted between the aircraft and the ship's DC electrical power supply, it reduces the electrical current and therefore the rotational speed of the engine starters so we can fresh water wash the engine compressors of salt.

The big grey tool box contains all of the equipment for folding the main rotor blades for storing the aircraft in the hangar. Just behind the head box on the middle of the seats is the link chute and basket for the M3M. The rescue hoist is fitted to the back of the right hand cabin door and is folded away in this shot, the red part is the hook. The SAR bag is under the middle seat, a grey rubberised canvas bag containing all of the stuff needed for winching.

The sound proofing can be any colour between mid grey to dark green, depending on age, how much crap it has sucked up and probably whatever colour the contractor at the time made it. The green and pink panel in this photo looks like it was from a Mk3, I think they had cabin heating trunking running down the sides and the pink bit is heat resistant.

The rear cabin seats can't fold up because of a metal strut which connects to the cabin floor. You can just see it in this photo, the left side is the same.

38347087255_607bef9b06_b.jpg

I'll make a post in the ready for inspection section of my last Lynx build.

Red

The cabin insulation I remember (HAS3 & HAS3S) was all that dirty green colour.  And the MS5 strapped into one of the rear seats (as in that last pic) is as close to standard fit as you get - I don’t think I ever flew from a deck without it.

• Like 1