Thanks Dennis. There is progress bit at a time.

On the big one -

IMG_20180213_230907

And under...

IMG_20180213_230322

IMG_20180213_230344

Underside turned out to be a bit easier than the little one, as all the door transfers are separate items on the sheet.

Just needed to split the main diagonal and trim for the middle pylons, and a couple of measured cutouts for along the flaps.

Still floating em on in Klear.

IMG_20180213_230228

I spilled some Klear the other evening, on to a piece of decal sheet for 1/72- all the little details for the cockpit sides.

I thought I d better get a move on and apply them all, as they were wet.

What a pain! 😠

The Klear had instantly waterproofed the back of the paper - it took ages to get them moving, and these were all the tiny ones that usually fly off the paper.

I'll take precautions to minimise the risk of that happening again!

• Like 2

On 09/02/2018 at 6:38 PM, rob Lyttle said:

But I wish I knew how to paste those little"@..." tabs on here, that everyone uses....!😞

Looking great ! :rambo: that masking worked a hell of a lot better than any I have ever brushed. You must have ze knack. ;)

by the way, those @.... tabs. If you’re on a mobile device like me simply input an “@“ then start typing your name of choice, the site then filters the choices you can pick from. Like @rob Lyttle . Hope that helps.

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

Well, she's up on her feet, and I got the chance to deploy my latest pair of wheel chocks...

IMG_20180217_221127

Loads to do yet, but it's always nice to see them standing and looking something like it.

IMG_20180217_221228

The little one does look quite good still on the end of a brush handle - I'm starting to like the idea of a Red Arrows Hawk in flight , wheels up, clean, with a pilot.

Well, I still got some Rover Vermilion in the can...😃

• Like 1

Yes, go for it @Biggles87..

I was concerned about the white stripe decals showing a bit pink on the red paint, but they're OK, and on the 1/72 version also.

There's a little piece that is supposed to go on the nose between the side stripes, but it just doesn't make any sense (on mine anyway). I just omitted it. Anything required once the antenna is fitted will be done with paint.

• Thanks 1

Had a look at the airbrake assembly. There are 2hinge pieces that attach to the main part, with lugs on.

IMG_20180219_234717

I've done them so the lugs are inboard, but the instructions are conflicted , drawing 1shows them outward and drawing 2 shows inward. Parts numbers indicate 1, I think, but looking at the aperture in the fuselage, neither will go in.

IMG_20180219_234848

I quite like a mechanical puzzle, but I don't think this will go!

IMG_20180219_234803

All I can do is trim the lugs off flush and fit it up into the fuselage.

Much ado about nothing.

Visible on the instructions you can see the hydraulic ram comes in 3 pieces with advice not to glue the extending rod. So I think the intention is for the lugs to act as hinges, the ram to slide and the whole thing to be movable.

Hmmmm, anyone else done this successfully??😞

• Like 1

Still fiddling around with the airbrake assembly, but further to my comment on the "spare" white stripe piece that I omitted from the nose, this is from the walk around section...

by Graham James The%20Red%20Arrows-0316.JPG

Clearly no cross piece required.

I've also noticed that the tip-stall spoilers on the leading edges are bare metal in this instance, which is the right "year" for the 1/32 airframe. I may set about these, either scrape the paint off or apply new strips of foil.

Right, back to the walk around section for me.

Ah ah.... think I've figured out where the mysterious part 117 goes; right in front of the tail bumper to the rear of the airbrake.

ra%2064.jpg

No good pictures of a deployed airbrake though. Maybe that should be telling me something.

Edited by rob Lyttle
more
  • Like 1

OK, so the airbrake assembly situation is resolved, and fitted in the closed position.

Even that required some work, and the root of the problem was the 2 ventral fins beside the brake. These were fitted waaaay back, when the fuselage was closed up. So long ago, I hadn't even learnt that they are supposed to be flat blades instead of the exotic curved shape supplied by revell.

I had a good go at flattening them in situ, but really I'd advise scratch building flat blades, and fitting them while the airbrake decision is made and resolved.

Airframe XX237 has been selected for no other reason than she carries an extra decal by the port side of the windscreen.

IMG_20180254_104513

IMG_20180254_104623

IMG_20180254_104431

• Like 1

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1957782851216889&id=100009555797212

A friend in Lincoln put this up on Facebook, just wondering if I could paste it on here 

Big moves afoot for Lego to bring out a Red Arrows Hawk, apparently.

Maybe that would be easier...!

Edited by rob Lyttle

Thanks for the confirmation, @st george @Corsairfoxfouruncle.

That's what I was thinking and hoping.

Ref those ventral fins, here's how flat they're supposed to be,

The%20Red%20Arrows-0319.JPG

Flat, with a reinforced attachment strip. So what were the Revell guys looking at?

See the way the paint is damaged on the screw heads when panels are removed and replaced....

The%20Red%20Arrows-0327.JPG

I'm trying to get some of that going on the airframe, without overdoing it.

A 1mm drill bit hand held, and just a half turn gets through the paint and into the foil tape beneath

My efforts with the little spiky wheel pattern thing on the tailplanes - ie. straight onto plastic- produced a subtle effect. I thought it would be lost under the paint, but it's there when the light catches it right. And that's probably about right.

IMG_20180223_225011

So I'm happy with that - it's really just the light catches the gloss finish. 

Like this,ra%2069.jpg

Edited by rob Lyttle
add pic
  • Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:51 AM, st george said:

attached

Check your inbox ! Some info for you.

Main gear doors are on

IMG_20180225_214121

Not too much of a hassle - I mean, lining up two pins and two holes in the door... how hard can THAT be?

Pfff. That always catches me out. Anyway, they're on.

But I twisted one of the main trailing links to breaking point.

Currently doing repairs and reinforcement.

Beware, these are very vulnerable to damage because of the twisting nature of the forces. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

IMG_20180225_213659

Main break butt jointed and left.

Some flat strip stretched and shaped to glue along the inside face, and a little strip of p.e.brass cyano-d across the underside.

IMG_20180225_213722

Two blade antennas are supplied, but seeing I lost one, I used the other as a pattern and cloned it.

Kind of pleased with the outcome (small pleasures, eh?) so I might mount it on the top instead of underside.

IMG_20180225_213902

While I was fiddling there, I flattened the top of the beacon transparency, ref the walk around pictures .

Need to stay focused and crack on with this/these - there's a new kid on the shelf, and I'm fancying a bit of a foil job!😉

It's a rebox of the ICM mould, and looks like it's right up my street.

IMG_20180225_224756

Edited by rob Lyttle
C45
  • Like 3

Getting there....

IMG_20180227_001513

Sorted the add-ons aerials etc.

Need to make an effort with the pitot sensor - the kit piece hasn't got a long enough arm.

I got to remove the canopy and do a final sort-out in there. I got a foggy patch inside right between the mirrors.

IMG_20180227_001606

The leg repair seems to be delivering, so far. The dam knee-joint (for want of a better name) started to come apart, so the whole thing is full of cyano.

This trailing arm design so loved by British aircraft designers and scooter manufacturers may be workable with steel and fancy castings, but it doesn't translate well to small scale polystyrene!😞

The second picture looks a little pink in the stripes there..... it's a photo thing. It's not that bad!

• Like 1

Thanks, Jonny, I'm looking forward to it.

Had enough of Red now!💫

Here's the little rascal...

ra%2027.jpg

What ever I do, it's going to be a bit vulnerable.

Love the chipped paint on the screw heads, though.

Later....

Here we go,

IMG_20180228_001717

Bit of plasticine to hold the whole thing - pitot head + lump of sprue frame - in place.

I flattened the end of the sprue stalk with a hot blade to glue to the back of the pitot head.

Bound to work, innit?😂

Edited by rob Lyttle
progress
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

@AdriaN (MLT), part me and part photo.

I was doing dirty washes in the bays with blackened Klear ( somebody on here gave a recipe), and it's gone too dark and also picked up a lot of shine.

I'll try to bring it back!

@rob Lyttle  This is a video i took myself of the Red Arrows Hawk. At 3:57 there is a detailed walk around. Might help for reference!

• Thanks 1