4 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

jc2yDbz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

That does look very tidy, barside.

And very similar in construction.

Did you have to scratch build from bits cut off the wing? I'm not familiar with the kit at all.

She looks great.πŸ‘

She not from a kit - whole build is from scratch as there is no 1/48 Dominie kit out there. Β All built from plasticard and car body filler

• Like 3

Hi Rob,

Just a few things regarding the wire MDC option if you go that way.

It is possible to get very fine lead wire but in my experience it is quiteΒ fragile. Also, it does n't seem to like paint or glue very much so you may need to wash it before you do anything with it.

Corsairfoxfouruncle's suggestion of copper wire might prove more usable.

Using the thinnest wire you can from electrical stuff would be good. If possible anneal it first by passing it through a flame until it glows orange. (Try not to melt it). After that it becomes very maleable and easy to bend but it remains less fragile than lead wire.

It also seems to take paint and glue better.Β 

If you have n't got any wire that you can strip for this use then PM me and I'll send you some. I've been keeping bits of wire of all different thicknesses for ages and have plenty ;)Β 

Β 

HTH

Β 

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Panic Over...... I found it!!!

I been fiddling around with the mini-me and the parts of the big one around and so on.

And when I got round to sorting out the flying surfaces ready to fit- I'd lost a complete flap assembly!!

Searched high and low, near and far - bright red and this Big, how hard can it be?

Got it today, in the back of the car, in the debris between the back seat and my toolbox.

Must have fallen out of the tray-box on the way back from a club meeting weeks ago, before Christmas!

And I didn't even miss it until now.

That's bad, isn't it?

Anyway, the sturdy little structure survived the winter ordeal intact and is now reunited with the airframe, and nothing is going anywhere until assembly is complete!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Β 

Mini-me is ready and masked up for some Red primer, as a test. To be followed by"Rover Vermilion", both as rattle can spray.

To see if it is anything like the red for the Red's.

Halfwords have a yellow primer for grp and plastic- I hear what you're saying, Johnny'- but it was described as a filler primer and I had visions of all the fine panel lines filling and disappearing especially on the little fella!

So I've gone Red.

But I need a break in the winter....Β 

OK. Just quickly, I'm finding this a bit awkward to express....

But I'm sitting here trying to dress up a couple of MB.Mk10 ejection seats for the (big) Red Arrows Hawk.

And I'm reading and hearing all about the sad demise of Flt,Lt. Sean Cunningham in 2011.

A tragic combination of factors.

I won't stand in judgement of anyone - this stuff shouldn't happen but it does.

But I'm sorry, like everyone else, for the loss of Sean Cunningham, and the loss to his family, and his team.

Β 

IMG_20180124_002436

Later....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's been a mild couple of days, and the little one is ready for a spray of paint.

So I had a quick blast with the primer.

IMG_20180127_214551

Β 

IMG_20180127_214619

Β 

IMG_20180127_214735

Β 

It's shown up a couple of joint issues, but the two foil panels underside have covered and primed up OK, and the flaps are primed up too..

The canopy is just spot-glued in position. I haven't finished in there yet.

I can't think of the perfect sequence of assembly, paint, doors, flaps and white line decals, especially underneath.

Something is going to be in the way at some point.

But doing this little guy may give me some insight into the best order of things.

Something I need to get my head around is the fin decor. Mini-me has a two part transfer to give the later half-flag type design on a red paint job.

But the big one features the earlier design that requires blue paint to the rudder area and the white stripe up the middle applied by decal.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some gloss red top coat on tomorrow- see if "Rover Vermilion" is anything like it for a Red Arrows plane.Β 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Breaker said:

I made my own MDC

That looks impressively good, breaker.

Did you try the decals first, or did you know it wasn't going to work?

What is aquagloss? Sounds interesting, and looks great. Is it something you use on canopies generally for the finish?

Β 

So, no gloss today, but I did get a chance to sort out the flaps and pylons on the big one.

IMG_20180128_215653

Having sprayed the flaps successfully on the little one, I realised I could go ahead with the final assembly on the big airframe and spray them in position.

So I did....

IMG_20180128_215557

And I got the pylons to meet up, too.

It's quite good having a model of a model to practice on!πŸ˜ƒ

I've got a handle and two mirrors and a compass fitted inside the canopy, and it's starting to feel like I ought to have a go at the MDC thing.

I'll tack the canopy in place, so it can be accessed later.

Or maybe I can get Breaker to do mine for me.....Β 

• Like 2

So here we are..... Rover Vermilion

Β 

IMG_20180129_135623

Β 

Surprised at how un-glossy it appears. I'll see how it settles .

I need to get back to the walkabout gallery for pictures of the real thing, but it looks like the kind of orangey red I was trying for.

So here we are..... Rover Vermilion

Β 

IMG_20180129_135623

Β 

Surprised at how un-glossy it appears. I'll see how it settles .

I need to get back to the walkabout gallery for pictures of the real thing, but it looks like the kind of orangey red I was trying for.

The%20Red%20Arrows-0320.JPG

This shows it quite wellΒ 

I got some of the red primer on the big fella too, and first impressions of the foil patchwork panels under the paint are good (ish).

• Like 2

Just having a quick look at the primed up airframe in 1/32.

After spending a little time fiddling around in 1/72, suddenly it looks like I've got a beached whale on my desk.

But the results are looking quite promising. Some of the foil, especially the kitchen foil rivets panels looked a bit shabby round the edges, but a rub with some 1200 grade used wet settled things OK, and the rivets started to show the pattern a bit.

IMG_20180129_230653

Β 

IMG_20180129_230713

Β 

Β 

IMG_20180129_230744

Β 

Flaps painted OK, can't complain about that.

Couple of poor seams have shown up that need attention, but better now than later.Β 

• Like 3

Little bit of progress here and there.

Filled some dodgy seams on the little fella, and did another spray of topcoat. Looking better.

Then I peeled the tape off the canopy and all looks OK..

What I really wanted to know was if the airfix transfer white was opaque enough to cover the red paint, without looking faintly pink.

Only one way to find out,

IMG_20180204_222427

Β 

Looks good to me, better than I feared.

IMG_20180204_222349

As expected, the underside stripes were a little more challenging.

What I needed was the option to dry fit the one-piece door moulding to the well, and apply the decal straight over the lot. But the door attachment pins ruled out that option.

I tried my best to mark up and make the various cuts before soaking, including slots to go around the pylons etc.

Didn't quite pull it off, but nothing that can't be sorted out with a dab of white paint.

The white flash along the side doesn't quite make it to the front of the intake, and moving it forward was leaving too much gap between"FORCE" and the roundel I thought. So another wee patch up.

I may nick a sliver off the stripe decal that sits inside the intake.

Nobody's gonna miss that.

• Like 2

I have the red topcoat on the big fellaΒ 

IMG_20180206_160428

It's come out shinier for sure - maybe just because so much more paint is involved.Β 

But still not the full buffed up showroom shine I need to match the Reds!

When I get to the end, do you think car wax polish will work, orshould I be thinking about a spray varnish?

IMG_20180206_160453

Β 

IMG_20180206_160557

Β 

IMG_20180206_160823

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

This is going to give some of you cause for alarm-

but I've set about the tail..... with a brush.

Β 

The thing is, I have far more confidence and ability with brush, and I also have the paint I want to use.

It's called Bocour Blue- it's an artist's acrylic, and it's the business colour-wise.

Application is more of a watercolour technique, several washes of blue over a white primer.

IMG_20180208_175316

Β 

I've white primed the area to include the white stripe decal area, and then moved the masking tape back to give me just the blue area.

And I hope my measurements and marking out is right!

IMG_20180208_175426

Β 

Couple more washes of Bocour should build up nicely, and I'm hoping the white background will still "illuminate" the blue from behind, a little.

One more pic..... the light was catching the effort l made on the top of the flaps, to get that dippy stressed skin effect. It's hardly breathtaking, but it is there.

IMG_20180208_175816

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Β 

This is going to give some of you cause for alarm-

but I've set about the tail..... with a brush.

Β 

:tmi:Β fingers crossed. Every time I attempt to mask then brush paint it always, always bleeds. Yours looks like it’s going great guns though so. The red by the way is lovely.Β 

Β 

Johnny

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Β fingers crossed.

Quite so, johnny!

I'm nearly ready to peel. I do have the advantage of working between the site for a decal and a rudder/trailing edge.

But yes, it can be a little disappointing at times, can't it?!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Let’s not think about that outcome

There is a method that can be used in critical masking situations.

I learned it as a student, it's crucial when working on a surface like canvas. Most recently deployed on a Nimrod MR1 by Lord Riot, on the advice of barside.

First colour, and mask when dry. Then a quick spray or brush along the tape with the FIRST colour, so any bleeding is the " right "colour , and then on with second.

The line on the Nimrod looks superb and Riot seemed well pleased with the method.

Β 

But I wish I knew how to paste those little"@..." tabs on here, that everyone uses....!😞

• Like 1

So, I just been treated to a quick tutorial by Keefr22 on the Aircobra build (CedB) covering a Klear method of decal/transfer application .

Thus motivated, and convinced of my own invincibility, now having the knowledge, I set about some of the dΓ©cor on the big airframe.

IMG_20180209_224121

Β 

IMG_20180209_224140

Could've gone a lot worse.

It's a long way from the back to the intakes, with no good datum to line everything up. Plus the lettering section tapers to the front, but I think it's lining up with the middle of the intakes.

And good coverage from the white - no sign of red showing through.🍎

• Like 5