I'm just wondering if a little video can be posted in the same way...

I found 6 of these in discarded window display Christmas stuff, still flashing away,

No, don't think it works.

Cute little strobe light beacon, I'm thinking 

VID_scale strobe beacon

Edited by rob Lyttle
Test video function
  • Like 1

Apart from that little diversion, I've been dealing with canopy troubles (again!)

But at least I'm not quite so scared of it.

The decal zigzags - I can't remember the name or acronym they go by - turned out a bit foggy. Especially the larger front one. The amount of compound curve on the canopy was producing wrinkles and the carrier film was showing up like a foggy day.

Decided to have a go at releasing them.

I'd used brush cleaner before with some effect at releasing a transfer, but not on a transparency.

You know the stuff I mean....  the instructions read " pour into a suitable non-plastic container...."😃

It worked and I lifted both decals and I've left them floating in water.

IMG_20180104_232523

The inside of the canopy had started to feel the effects though.

But I set to with washing and my 1500 grade used wet, and then some metal polish, and another good wash and dry, and it's looking pretty good!

IMG_20180104_234300

Phew...

Now, do I try again?

Or quit while I'm ahead?

I'll think on it. They should be alright floating on water, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I believe they're explosive strips to shatter the canopy instantly before ejection. I know it would be a pain in the backside. You could try to paint them, or use very thin strips of pinstriping tape to do them ? I think you could get pinstriping tape down to 1mm, maybe finer? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided to put a"laugh" icon on your last post, Dennis .

Really, that symbolises the results of my efforts to do any of that!

I did read about someone designing and making their own photo etch MDC....!

All I do is marvel at the skills people bring to bear on their build.

Might have one more go at application of the supplied decals, and I think that's the limit of my efforts. 

So much scope for things to go wrong!

• Like 2

Oh dear I hope you get it sorted out Rob.

I think Steve Friday was one of the blokes who made his own etched metal MDC chord for the Hawk but that was in1/72nd scale 😮.

If all else fails it is possible to make a jig using a paper copy of the decal, some foam and a few pins . Wind thin wire around the pins then glue the wire to the inside of the canopy with tiny blobs of future/klear.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Cheers

• Thanks 2

On 06/01/2018 at 16:08, geedubelyer said:

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Well, I said I'd give it one more go.

IMG_20180108_201518

I went with the rear one as it's smaller, simpler, and in a better condition.

Cleaned up, bathed in Decalsoft and floated on, it looked promising, until it dried off.

I'd trimmed off the surplus carrier , and given it maximum care and attention.

If I wet the surface it looks quite good, but on drying the mist returns. Likewise with kleer.

All I can think of is a gloss varnish, and that will open a whole new set of issues.

IMG_20180108_201136

The front decal suffered more extensively and is currently in 3 pieces.

So, I'm going to call it.

Do a clean up, and carry on with something I actually enjoy instead!

I wonder if there is a successful application of these on a build thread somewhere...

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, I said I'd give it one more go.

I wonder if there is a successful application of these on a build thread somewhere...

Oh dear. That's a shame Rob. Sorry to see all did n't go as planned. I'll have a look next time I'm in the mancave to see if I've still got some. You're welcome to them if I have should you want another go.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen successful applications here on BM but I believe the carrier film is always slightly visible no matter how much care is taken.

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Embrace the bits you do enjoy.

Cheers.

• Like 1

have you tried thin wire?

use the decals as a guide ,trace the shape onto paper,push pins into the corner points,then simply bend your wire round the outline ,paint it and secure it in place with a little klear

might take a few goes but it does work!

• Thanks 1

I was wondering about a test project for trying out rattle can paints, and I found one of these on the shelf in the LMS ...

IMG_20180117_191126

Of course, when I got the wing parts out for a look, I started - you know, like.... wondering...

IMG_20180117_191157

I mean, it's the same thing, just smaller.

Couldn't resist!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The general idea is the same - ending up with two prongs sticking out at an appropriate angle to fit into the wing t.e..

IMG_20180117_225544

Sawcuts required in the upper and lower wing panels to accommodate the prongs this time,

IMG_20180117_225710

This is all dry runs and testing.

Now that I'm sorted in my head about what I'm trying to do, I've decided to glue -up the wings and onto the fuselage, leaving the flaps area unglued so I've not gummed myself up when it comes to fitting the flaps.

IMG_20180117_225729

And assembled....

IMG_20180117_232537

Once everything is nicely set and firmed up, I can do a bit of sharpening and scraping on the prongs if necessary to get a nice fit into their slots.

That's the plan.....!😂 

• Like 1

Don't know if you're familiar with these Art Deco style duck ornaments in USA. Very popular here in the 1930s-

blog+010

There's a guy on here who started doing a set of EE Lightnings, but the thread seems to have gone quiet.

As for 1/144 scale.... I'm going to leave that to the watch makers and the crazy people....!

This one is plenty small enough for me.

My newly acquired Connie is in 1/144, and even then I'm thinking this is a bit fiddly!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goggsy said:

- I formed lead wire around some pins to shape and then fixed it in place with klear.

Thanks for that, goggsy.

I can visualise the feasibility of it, and I may have a go at some point.

But I'll need to be in the right frame off mind.

You put it on the inside, yeah? What Lead wire dyou use? 

Sorry I didn’t hear about this sooner Rob. Some of my notifications aren’t popping up  at the top of my threads. Shame about the MDC decal. Fiddly I know and too late but did you try cutting the whole thing out from the carrier film with a super sharp scalpel? I did a similar thing with the “no walk” lines on a mozzie I did once. It’s a real struggle to stop the decal flopping all over itself but maybe a thing for the future?

good luck with the flying ducks dear boy. I’ll try and pop in more often from now on.

John.:lol:

Thanks for the feedback on the canopy zigzags all, and moral support too.

But it's on the back burner while I have some fun instead.

With the little 1/72 mini-me...

I got a couple of the flap pylons split, opened and fitted.

IMG_20180120_164835

Easier than I was anticipating, to be honest!

Just 4 more to do...👍

• Like 2

Definitely better if both pieces stay together at the hinge point ( I found..!)

I made the cut down to the hinge bulge and put a little dab of poly-cement to soften the plastic.

Give it a minute, and ease the pylon open, another dab of glue in the hinge point with a cocktail stick, and leave it. Go start another one.....

IMG_20180120_171038

Those are the middle pylons, up next....

IMG_20180120_172753

The piece of stretched sprue on the far wing is a temporary handle fix for one that didn't stay together. I'm operating at the limits of my fingers and thumbs here - beyond the limits, really!

One more pair.....

IMG_20180120_221646

YEAYY!

Working on the 1/32 version is gonna be a breeze after doing these, won't it?😂

• Like 3