I've been fiddling around with this build for a few weeks now, and I finally decided to put up a bit of a build log.

Not a complete A to Z thread - there have been a good few posted already, although most were shortly after the kit was launched and many have suffered catastrophic photo failure at the hands of Pee- bucket.

IMG_20171214_220019

It's going to be a drawn out process, making the thread, what with festivities and work stuff. Also, whether i opt for the Red Arrows scarlet or the gloss black finish, it's going to be with a rattle can, so that won't be happening in the depths of winter.

Main efforts so far at effecting improvements are 

Modification of flaps to the lowered position as per a parked up Hawk.

Getting some rivets on the fuselage rear.

Trying to get the look of a bunch of metal sheets bent and fitted together, rather than a perfect moulded Form with engraved lines.

I have no idea how it's going to pan out!!

• Like 5

I started one of these a couple of summers ago as a quick ' out of the box ' build. It's structurally complete, but that's where it stopped when I started my Battle of Britain GB Spitfire which still isn't finished!

Looking forward to this.

John

• Like 1

Been trying for ages to put a link to this epic build.

Geedubelyer was good enough to take the trouble to rebuild the photos on this thread.🌟🌟🌟

(He even thanked me for reminding him...!?!?)

DEFINITELY worth a read through.

Major source of information and inspiration for me.

Some excellent reference material in the Walkaround section too.

If i can remember how I did that link, I'll try one to the ref.pics.

Hmmmm ... what was it I clicked...?😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob,

I did one of these some time back. Nothing wrong with the kit. However, you need the Eduard interior ( there is sooooo much on view) and I used the Flightpath FOD covers and the exhaust plug. That kit also has the access ladder/platform. Adds a bit more to the model.

Dick

• Like 1

All the pictures you need!

Thanks for the feedback, all.

I'm not that big on aftermarket stuff - very incompetent online shopper!

I once ordered a book"The Mosquito Log" on Amazon - and I ended up getting 3 of them on consecutive days. Still good value though...!

The cockpit and fuselage is all done and buttoned up already, but I love things like access ladders,. So I might have a look.

Also wheel chocks! I'm currently Big on chocks - No plane should be seen without them!

I'll gradually get this caught up with the current state of play on the bench.

• Like 1

The kit is well documented as a fairly good, straightforward build with no serious pitfalls.

To be honest, I started out with the idea of just doing the cockpit tub as a little build in its own right.

Tsk!

So, look, here's the state of play with the airframe as of now,

https://flic.kr/p/21szLj9

ooooo-kayyy.

Bad day for Computery things obvs.

Britmodeller site been down all day and now flickr falling on its face..!😠

I'll try tomorrow if i get a chance 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The kit is well documented as a fairly good, straightforward build with no serious pitfalls.

To be honest, I started out with the idea of just doing the cockpit tub as a little build in its own right.

Tsk!

So, look, here's the state of play with the airframe as of now,

https://flic.kr/p/21szLj9

ooooo-kayyy.

Bad day for Computery things obvs.

Britmodeller site been down all day and now flickr falling on its face..!😠

I'll try tomorrow if i get a chance 

Oh my word she’s Huge! I’m used to seeing the 1/72 ones. Btw. The link is in but it’s not embedded.

Johnny.

Hi Rob, great to see your thread on this one, thanks for the link.

I very much like what you're doing with the foil panels. Smashing idea that. Looking forward to seeing how they look under paint. Should help tone down the large gaps and give a much more realistic appearance.

Keep at it. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I think the Planets must be well out of alignment, or Big Solar Flairs going off, something's messing with the IT world. Can't seem to do anything coherent on here. 

Yes, hoping that the foil will bring a bit of life to the surfaces. Maybe a little bit of imperfection is what I'm after? 

This is the sticky back builder's foil that I'm a big user of for bare metal finish planes.

Milliput on the intakes on top - I agreed with the conclusions in GWs thread on this.

Bit of an effort with pie dish Ali foil for the all moving tailplane attachments- sort of semicircular arrangement against the fuselage sides. And they'll keep the blades off the fuselage sides by a suitable amount.

Hope to be able to illustrate what I'm talking about soon.

Anybody else having problems with inserting pictures, especially with flickr??😠

Wonder if I can paste  pictures that are already up on another thread.

24176079797_607f954240_b.jpgyehh..

This is me making double rows of rivets with the craft saw .

The Set of the teeth gives perfect modulated rivets alternatively in the 2rows.

Done on a softish surface to let the teeth poke in a little. Then turn over. Rivets...!

38155826395_db603f53af_b.jpgThis is kitchen foil, not the sticky back builder's foil 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

25170162788_4f05277283_b.jpgBit of gloss varnish on the fuselage sections, and ease the foil on.

There's no solidness to the bumps and they could be easily flattened out again, so just easing it on to the curves of the fuselage.

Once the varnish has dried, it may have given a little firmness to the rivets - I haven't had the nerve to test that!!

But it has adhered to the fuselage contours OK 

• Like 1

Well, I managed to get those last three pictures up here, only because I had already posted them on the Spadgent's Lightning thread to illustrate the rivets process.

This was before the"minor upgrade" on BM, since when photos on Flickr can't be posted by android phone. Other platforms seem to have been able to work around the crisis.... but I am currently stuffed, I'm afraid.

I'll keep reading the discussion threads to see if there's anything to be done about the situation.

But for now, this thread is pretty well suspended, sad to say...!

If anyone knows how I can overcome this problem, and paste up Flickr pictures with an android phone, I'd be delighted to receive your advice!

But keep it real simple.

REAL simple!😃

Merry Christmas, by the way! 

• Sad 1

I'm gonna persevere and put up the links which can be clicked on, and hope for a small miracle!

It's going to be a bit clumsy for reading, but anyway....

https://flic.kr/p/21FMcTq

Got some foil strips around the canopy, and tried out my little pattern wheel. I think I got a picture of it on another thread....

Here we are,

38147874115_be4ff92bac_b.jpg

I think it worked OK on the foil tape over plastic. I did a row over front and back hoops also 

Tried a row or two on the tailplanes, on the trailing edge and panels seams. Straight on the plastic surface is much lighter effect, barely seen in the picture,

https://flic.kr/p/21FMiFN

But subtle may be a good thing here!

They are very neatly done on the aircraft. Quite different to the fuselage tail area rivets.

Before I go on to the flaps, let me point out that - once the flap surfaces have been cut from the wing panels - the trailing edge of the wing above the flap position needs some serious thinning.

That's underneath where I've foiled those panels.

https://flic.kr/p/22Lj6VB

That'll do for now .

Sorry it looks a bit dull without embedded pics.

Edited by rob Lyttle
corrections
  • Like 2