MPC Space: 1999 Hawk Mk.IX (new tool) 1:72 - released

Caerbannog

Indeed a new tool:

https://www.facebook.com/Round2Models/

and here:

http://www.collectormodel.com/

Quote:

"It has been no hidden fact that we have been considering other scales to use for our line of Space:1999 model kits. Kits in a new smaller scale will allow us to shoot for the same accuracy we always pursue, but let’s us bring kits to market at a lower price point. It allows our tooling consideration to go further. Instead of one big kit every couple of years, we can bring out a series of kits in the same scale just like we do with our line of 1:1000 Star Trek kits. So if 1/48 is too big to keep up the pace, what scale would be acceptable for these ships. This question was recently posed to a Space:1999 facebook group to get the answer straight form the consumer. The overwhelming favorite was 1/72 scale. At this scale an Eagle comes out to about 14 ½” long. Landing at 2 ½” longer than the old MPC kit, that should give us a enough room to work and get plenty of detail.

But, why do another Eagle right away when the last Space:1999 ship we created was an Eagle. So, we decided to take a step in this scale with a Hawk instead! By no fault of its own, our new 1/72 Hawk kit will land at about the same size as the old MPC/Airfix kit. But don’t worry. We are ignoring that old inaccurate kit and starting from scratch. Our new model will be as close as we can manage in injected styrene to match the original filming miniature.

So here for the first time, we are showing the progress on the kit thus far. We are shooting on a May release. So look for it at Wonderfest 2018."

And links to some of the pictures of the link above:

HAWK-MOCKUP2.jpg

HAWK-MOCKUP4.jpg

HAWK-MOCKUP5.jpg

So a 1:72 Eagle range seems very likely for the future, when I read between the lines.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

The Round2 blog at collectormodel.com had an update a few days ago. Among other things, the 1/72 Hawk is supposed to be at retailers by the end of June. Weathering decals for the large 22" Eagle will be available separately from the special edition in the next few weeks. Trek 1/1000 Defiant in the next few weeks, 1/350 Grissom & Bird of Prey delayed til maybe end of summer. 1/350 K'Tinga was also pushed back some. closer to the end of the year. 

http://www.collectormodel.com/#sthash.EOFZeMqG.dpbs

• Like 1

Has anyone said "I wish they'd do it in 1:48 too" yet?  If not, I'd like to claim that honour :)

I wish they'd do it in 1:48 too 🙏

Maybe everyone needs to start saying that on their social media sites?  I know they probably get a lot of wishlists anyway, but if they get enough interest they may cave in. :shrug:

Would the Special Edition of the SkyDiver come with a free string vest and authentic nipple makeup? :puke:

28 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

I've been watching the old UFO...wish they would make new tool UFO, Interceptor and SkyDiver as well  :laugh:

Hang on don't get ahead of yourself, not before a 1/72 SHADO Moonbase on an authentic vac base.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 1 month later...

Its will be available in the UK in August they reckon at a couple of retailers without the price hike being too ridiculous. A couple of others are frankly taking the mickey but those can easily be avoided! The UK RRP is about £45 but there are places to get it for less than £40.

There is a clamour for a 1:48 version but the thinking is if this kit is successful then that gives them reason to upscale it! As for UFO kits, one lives in hope! The Bandai Interceptor kit is pretty decent but very rare and therefore expensive. As for the Imai SHADO Mobile and Sky 1 - yuk!

Edited by Kallisti