Sabre Mk. 6

Plumbum

On 15/12/2017 at 5:01 PM, Courageous said:

To do the CAC Avon Sabres, you could also use the Tasman conversion set.

Stuart

How does this compare to the HiPlanes conversion ? Judging from pictures found online it looks moulded in the same style of the Ventura kits, meaning that it will likely need even more cleaning than the HP parts (themselves not free of flash...) but if parts are accurate I may consider one as I see they are back being available at Jays in New Zealand

@Giorgio N, I have a number of 1/72 Tasman conversions kits and can't comment on the HiPlanes conversion, didn't know they done a 1/72 conversion?

An inspection of my kits reveal decals, Falcon vacform canopy, air intake and the two fuselage halves. The decals look fairly good and don't give me any reasons for concern. The canopy is nice and clear. The fuselage parts are typical limited run and have large 'gates' but are kept away from the fine engraved panel lines. The surfaces are in the main smooth but some areas are a little rough but nothing a sanding stick can't sort. The Tasman is designed to be used with the Fujimi and Hobbycraft kits but I don't see why you couldn't use the Hasegawa kit. The instructions state a little modification is needed to the intake duct to match the larger intake for the Avon. The fuselage walls are thicker than the donor kits, so the internals may need a little adjustment to fit.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

• Like 1

I found a pretty decent image which I cropped to show scoop and vent location

on a GH Sabre, this is a Mk 5 I think but close enough for my references. The scoop

is between the second and third pilots from the left and the open vent is right above

the fourth pilot from the left's head.---John

cgqkJly.jpg

1 hour ago, Johnv said:

on a GH Sabre, this is a Mk 5 I think but close enough for my references. The scoop

is between the second and third pilots from the left and the open vent is right above

Yep, Mk5. easy to tell as the Mk6s would've had external smoke pipes visible.

On 17/12/2017 at 10:54 PM, Courageous said:

@Giorgio N, I have a number of 1/72 Tasman conversions kits and can't comment on the HiPlanes conversion, didn't know they done a 1/72 conversion?

An inspection of my kits reveal decals, Falcon vacform canopy, air intake and the two fuselage halves. The decals look fairly good and don't give me any reasons for concern. The canopy is nice and clear. The fuselage parts are typical limited run and have large 'gates' but are kept away from the fine engraved panel lines. The surfaces are in the main smooth but some areas are a little rough but nothing a sanding stick can't sort. The Tasman is designed to be used with the Fujimi and Hobbycraft kits but I don't see why you couldn't use the Hasegawa kit. The instructions state a little modification is needed to the intake duct to match the larger intake for the Avon. The fuselage walls are thicker than the donor kits, so the internals may need a little adjustment to fit.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, it is very helpful information, I may try this conversion beside the Hi Planes one

• 4 months later...
On 12/21/2017 at 2:09 PM, Johnv said:

cgqkJly.jpg

very interesting pix [to me]

2 of these pilots were killed in a practice session mid-air at their home base.

Years later I brought the incident up with the then HQ C/O of the Hawks during that time... he declined to talk about it.

It has been many years since, but I still remember how our discussion ended at that point, tho it had been great up till then. 

As my thoughts are now back in that day... I'm wondering if others are aware that the team had dedicated 'practice' 86's in regular, but non-standard RCAF markings?

I have slides of, somewhere...

Wow you lot should get involved with Jms.....joint modification something.....Design organisation and service mods on in use aircraft have got nothing on you lot...lol 

Might have to dig out that airfix club sabre ....can i make an RAF one out of that....gotta feeling its the wrong wing ...:drunk:

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Wow you lot should get involved with Jms.....joint modification something.....Design organisation and service mods on in use aircraft have got nothing on you lot...lol 

Might have to dig out that airfix club sabre ....can i make an RAF one out of that....gotta feeling its the wrong wing ...:drunk:

That all depends on timeframe.  Most Sabre 4s ended up with the fenced wing.  Of course Airfix put the fence in the wrong position.😬

Tony

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SabreBat said:

very interesting pix [to me]

2 of these pilots were killed in a practice session mid-air at their home base.

Years later I brought the incident up with the then HQ C/O of the Hawks during that time... he declined to talk about it.

It has been many years since, but I still remember how our discussion ended at that point, tho it had been great up till then. 

As my thoughts are now back in that day... I'm wondering if others are aware that the team had dedicated 'practice' 86's in regular, but non-standard RCAF markings?

I have slides of, somewhere...

If by “dedicated practice 86’s” you mean they didn’t practice in the GH Sabres, that’s not true. Chatham OTU Sabres were sprinkled in there.

7 hours ago, TBC said:

If by “dedicated practice 86’s” you mean they didn’t practice in the GH Sabres, that’s not true. Chatham OTU Sabres were sprinkled in there.

You won't get a reply to this unfortunately, SabreBat went & got himself banned in the new members forum. :(

Steve.