Sabre Mk. 6

Plumbum

I just ordered the 1/72 Hobbycraft F-86F-10/ Mk 6 kit. I am going to

model a Golden Hawk Mk. VI and was curious if the kit is pretty accurate

and if it isn't what "tweaks" does it need? I am thinking maybe the scoops

for the fuselage? Not really  sure as I have no real knowledge on Canadair

Sabres. Thanks---John

Check the wing tips, no extensions; the fuselage vent locations; the leading edge slats or not

Take a look at IPMS Canada.  They used to have some good information too.  Cheers.

You're right about the scoops.

GH Sabre 6 would have the short-span, 6-3 wing with slats and the F-86F-10 would either have narrow-chord with slats or retrofit 6-3 wing with wing fence. So the wing will be wrong for one of them. Long time since I made the HC Sabre (nice kit overall), so I can't recall which one is correct as kitted.

Ok so I check the wing tips for what I know not, add scoops but not sure where and

use a 6-3 wing but not sure of narrow or slats. Thanks, I guess.---John whose more confused

than before!!!!!

The kit has the short span, slatted wing, you'll need to scratchbuild the "sugar scoop" intakes on the underside of the fuselage and add the vents on the sides of the fuselage. I seem to recall that the kit is a copy of the Fujimi kit, which garnered good reviews.

Edited by silverkite211
added information

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:48 PM, Sabrejet said:

You're right about the scoops.

GH Sabre 6 would have the short-span, 6-3 wing with slats and the F-86F-10 would either have narrow-chord with slats or retrofit 6-3 wing with wing fence. So the wing will be wrong for one of them. Long time since I made the HC Sabre (nice kit overall), so I can't recall which one is correct as kitted.

What SJ has posted is correct. (See attached link for confirmation and interesting facts) The Mk 6 and the Australian Commonwealth CA27 Avon-powered Mk 32's are considered to be the  best of the breed ands the highest-performing Sabres....Hey, Sword- while you're on a roll, how about a Mk 32? I have been wanting to do a Black Diamonds Sabre for the longest time! (Apology in advance for the off-topic comment!)

Mike

http://20thcenturyaviationmagazine.com/military-aviation-magazine/rcaf-legacies/the-best-f-86-canadairs-sabre-mk-6-turning-60/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected incorrect information

the Hobbycraft kit suffers from 'square speedbrakes' copied from the Fujimi parent.    As previous posters have said, the wing is correct for a Sabre 6 (no Roman numerals).   The 'sugar scoops' were fitted to the GH Sabres as they were an addition in the 1958 time frame.   The slat well has a large 'step' which should be an almost flush transition to the wing.

HTH,  Tony

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

...cough...Avon....cough.... :D

Steve

Jeez, Louise! Tough crowd! You got me- can't believe I did that, Steve; thanks for the correction; I have attached a link to a small Christmas gift for you and the rest of the BM'ers.

Mike

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/11/55/f7/1155f7d9892a5760b95c37b55607b6a7--christmas-scenes-christmas-time.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, I was also planning on a Mk. 4. Is the Hobbycraft kit for that

the same as this kit? I know it also has the early slatted wings before they went with

the 6-3 hard wing. I really like the early Mk. 4 with the slatted wing much better. I am

curious to see if HC used the same wing for both planes, as they supposedly weren't

the same.---John

Yup, HC used the same wing as their Mk6, it’s wrong.  You could use the Mk5 release with the 6-3 hard edge for a Mk4, or ignore the difference in the slatted wings.  The only injection molded narrow chord wing available is the Airfix or Hasegawa F-86D or the Matchbox F-86A.  It’s that or slice & dice your way to a narrow chord wing with a razor saw.(it’s not that difficult).  There is hard-to-find conversions out there in resin for the early slatted wing, good luck.

HTH, Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony.

What about the Heller Sabre. That one seems to have narrow wings with slats... or am I wrong in thinking that. At least the fuselage air brakes are much better. Just raised panel lines that can be easily remedied.

There is another kit with an original narrow chord slatted wing and it's the Special Hobby F-86L...

Now the L should have an F-40 wing, however the kit includes a common lower part with separate upper parts for both a long and a short wing. The chord is the original one so the long wing is not correct for an F-86L. The short wing is fine for an F-86D.

As the kit includes both long and short upper wing parts, if the modeller is happy to end up with an incorrect F-86L, the parts for the short wing can be used to modify other kits to the correct original slatted wing configuration.

On the Heller Sabre, we had discussed the wing of this kit before and IIRC it's an original slatted wing. However the sweep angle is not correct

And as the Australian Sabre has been mentioned, the Hi-Planes conversion is actually not bad at all. The fuselage halves need some cleanup work but after that they'll fit nicely enough on the wings of the Academy/HC kit

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

What SJ has posted is correct. (See attached link for confirmation and interesting facts) The Mk 6 and the Australian Commonwealth CA27 Orenda-powered Mk 32's are considered to be the  best of the breed ands the highest-performing Sabres....Hey, Sword- while you're on a roll, how about a Mk 32? I have been wanting to do a Black Diamonds Sabre for the longest time! (Apology in advance for the off-topic comment!)

Mike

http://20thcenturyaviationmagazine.com/military-aviation-magazine/rcaf-legacies/the-best-f-86-canadairs-sabre-mk-6-turning-60/

CAC Sabres were only ever powered by Avon engines, not Orenda ones... 

• Like 2

I've got a Hi Planes CAC Sabre. It has new fuselage (with correct proportioned air brakes) and the HC/Academy kit in the box with RAAF decals for around 5 units. One for the workbench sometime soon.

Nothing like a good Sabre topic to open that :worms:.

The back-dating of the 6-3 wing isn't particularly difficult, I've carried this out on my F-86A, Mk 2, F-86E and TF-86F.

To do the CAC Avon Sabres, you could also use the Tasman conversion set.

Stuart

5 hours ago, rickshaw said:

CAC Sabres were only ever powered by Avon engines, not Orenda ones... 

Yep- I knew that, but didn't proof my post before I sent it. Nice to know people actually read my posts, as I sure hate to give somebody incorrect information. I will go back and edit my original post. Thanks for the feedback!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, BTW has anyone ever tried cutting and lowering the slats on

the old Matchbox F-86A? Was thinking of trying it but not too sure what's involved

or if it's worth it.---John

8 minutes ago, Johnv said:

Thanks for the help, BTW has anyone ever tried cutting and lowering the slats on

the old Matchbox F-86A? Was thinking of trying it but not too sure what's involved

John,

I'd say it's not worth it: I've done many challenging kits over the years but the Matchbox F-86A probably gets the prize for worst kit I've done. It's not the usual Matchbox trenches that do it but the major shape issues: tail section too narrow, canopy the wrong shape and intake the same. The 'instrument panel' is just weird. Various other bits are mounted the wrong way round, simplified in the extreme and it also lacks detail anywhere. You could spend a great deal of time putting it all right but you'd still have a polished poo. I built this one back when it was first released and it looked cr@p. Thinking it was my modelling skills (probably true), I gave it a go years later and still ended up with something a long way from being an F-86. 

Still, if it means there is one less kit for others to be disappointed with, give it a go and you'll be doing the modelling community a favour!

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎15 at 10:42 AM, Paul J said:

Hi Tony.

What about the Heller Sabre. That one seems to have narrow wings with slats... or am I wrong in thinking that. At least the fuselage air brakes are much better. Just raised panel lines that can be easily remedied.

The Heller Sabre wing is neither fish nor fowl. Sorta half way between the two wings in chord

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnv said:

since the Matchbox wing is a one piece affair, you a probably looking at a lot of work.   Sabres were usually parked with flaps up--but it's your deal.

As far as slats go,  I filed into the wing, a nice slat well and installed some of my homemade aftermarket slats.  This is my Matchbox attempt;

SA5p0S2.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson