MTO B-25J Colour question

Michael51

20 minutes ago, occa said:

Hi Roman,

Do  you mean another boxing maybe ?

I think the OP talks about this which has a blue tail on the cover:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/166275-hasegawa-00781-b-25j-mitchell-silver-wing

Yes this boxing contains serial number 327943.

The photograph you've shared is 327900.

This marking is included in the Hasgegawa kit 00546, built according to kit instructions:

366da914-cad0-484e-8f51-ded41dc03a0b.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, occa said:

But do the instructions (correctly) call for blue for the AC on the cover (9Q)  ?

I wonder why they called for OD on the other decal option (6V) then ...

I have the very same kit (Hasegawa 00781) and yes, the instructions call for Blue rudders on 9Q.

On the other kit which I presented above (sorry for occupying your thread, Michael51!) the instructions call for Olive Drab rudders.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 11:35 AM, occa said:

There was a colour photo of 6V coded in overall NM on the now defunct Jeffrey J Ethell archive, it clearly has a cobalt blue rudder.

Edit:

Here it is:

ir5nhjG.jpg

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/slides/slides.php?db_limit_start=0

Folks, for what it's worth, my eyes tell me that only the bottom quarter of the fin/rudder is blue; the rest is OD.

J

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Folks, for what it's worth, my eyes tell me that only the bottom quarter of the fin/rudder is blue; the rest is OD.

Which does not really make sense,  as color fins were used for identification in the air,  and that is way too subtle.    

I'd suggest the apparent light color on the  lower fin is exhaust staining,   the pale grey is lead oxide from tetra-ethyl lead, added to fuel to increase octane rating, and often seen when engines are run 'leaned-out'

as seen here

hurricanePR.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Which does not really make sense,  as color fins were used for identification in the air,  and that is way too subtle.    

I'd suggest the apparent light color on the  lower fin is exhaust staining,   the pale grey is lead oxide from tetra-ethyl lead, added to fuel to increase octane rating, and often seen when engines are run 'leaned-out'

as seen here

hurricanePR.jpg

Yup, quite attracted to that explanation (though I'm no expert on B-25 exhaust stain patterns...).

J

Gents

just been following this subject carefully, as I've a Monogram 48th B-25 with extras in the stash,  I remembered I bought a book too, so i dug it out.

SMI Library,, B-25 "Mitchell" in combat over Europe (MTO)

Page 71 a colour photo simply says 458th B-25j 43-35928 large white 32 on cobalt blue tail. It's not as sharp colour wise as Bedders photo, it's more green. It's definitely not the same colour as the fuselage colour, but could be due to printing old colour photos?.

Really good book lots of photos B&W and colour, bonus decals too, 3 a/c 3 scales. Just thought might help

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

note postition of fins re engines

920x920.jpg

Troy,

Been meaning to ask about this, out of curiosity, but this photo reminded me- does anybody know why the de-icer boots on the inner wing LE's were not the same length? Seems like the LH one is shorter than the RH one in the photos of the early versions, but I can't think of what might cause this difference.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, occa said:

Hi Michael,

Sorry I forgot the link, it's from here:

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/slides/slides.php

Unfortunately (for me at least) the search doesn't work anymore.

You have to click through the whole collection to find things I am afraid.

Edit:

Here's it, slide #11440

http://www.ww2color.com/search/webapps/slides/slides.php?action=update&primary_key=11440

Thank you occa,

What a brilliant site.

Michael

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Interesting picture, Occa.

I always thought this aircraft had olive drab rudders (as suggested in the Hasegawa kit that contains exactly these markings).

At least that's how I painted mine, many moons ago.

Hi Roman,

For the 1/72 version, Kit 00546 has three decal options, the third being for 6V 'Bottoms Up II' of the 486th BS, 340th BG. Although indicating OD tail fins, the kit colour, as suggested in earlier posts, appears to have been blue. This particular a/c has either had a considerable number of colour changes - not just to the tail section - or somehow has been mistaken for another a/c. The latter seems unlikely. There were at least two aircraft with the name 'Bottoms Up', but the 327900 a/c is believed to have been the only one with the addition of ' II ' to the name.

Kit 00781 has an NMF B-25 of the 489th BS, 340th BG as the first of two decal options.

Michael

Edited by Michael51

Btw to add to the confusion here I think the tail is black:

3Z9QgoP.jpg

It's image #04931

Now my theory on 6V is that the tail simply got over-sprayed with a thin coat of cobalt blue over the black background.

And then they repainted the white codes after ...

That would explain the 'blued out' serial number and that the color appears darker than cobalt blue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Interesting picture, Occa.

I always thought this aircraft had olive drab rudders (as suggested in the Hasegawa kit that contains exactly these markings).

At least that's how I painted mine, many moons ago.

15 minutes ago, occa said:

Btw to add to the confusion here I think the tail is black:

3Z9QgoP.jpg

It's image #04931

Now my theory on 6V is that the tail simply got over-sprayed with a thin coat of cobalt blue over the black background.

And then they repainted the white codes after ...

That would explain the 'blued out' serial number and that the color appears darker than cobalt blue.

Unless it was already blue?

See post #5 from Steve 

Michael

4 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi guys,

I borrowed the original of "6S" from Pete Bowers several decades ago; although it may seem blue in this reproduction, it was actually OD.

Cheers,

Dana

Dana,

Based on the photograph, I see what you mean. The OD on the fuselage blends back into the same colour, particularly near the tail section, and more particularly under the tailplane.

Michael