Top 1/8 kits of all times

Roy vd M.

I have been very inactive on the forum the last couple of months. To participate, if only incidentally, I drafted a list of 1/8 models, sorted to my taste. I'll reprise my build report of the Delage in due time. 

Not many models were produced as kits on 1/8th scale. Ik like the size and detail of this scale and decided to perform some research as to what models kit makers have deemed worthwhile replicating in 1/8th. As this is the time of "year's end top [x]" overview lists, I devised the order in which I'd prefer to build those models (from "noooo" to "yes, I'd like to build that NOW"). Needless to say, this is a very personal list and remarks / other opinions are more than welcome. This topic should really have been named 'MY top 1/8 kits of all times' but I didn't consider that sufficiently clickbaity.

This overview isn't about the quality of a certain kit, but regards the subject at hand. Some choices were very difficult to make, but fortunately this isn't a matter of war or peace. I realize that I probably didn't list ALL 1/8-model cars, although I tried to include as many as I could. About half of those listed below aren't listed on Scalemates and some I had to deduct from the banlieues of my brain/memory. Some models' existence were a surprise to me, such as the Peugeot 205 GTI. And apparently we no longer have to wait for Pocher's awaited Mercedes-Benz 300 SL kit, as it seems to have been issued by Eaglemoss. Anyway, thoughts or suggestions are always welcome. Perhaps this list contains surprises even for some 1/8-fans... it did to me at least. 

Copyrights are always reserved for the rightful holders. Pictures are only shown for referential, non-commercial purposes and will be deleted upon first request. 

74. Ford T custom (Monogram / Lindberg)

Personally I would not build this model, as I don't like custom vehicles too much. 

193457-10571-86-pristine.jpg

73. Ford B 1932 custom (Monogram / Revell)

This Ford is less extreme than the T... but still.  

265697-12192-94-pristine.jpg

72. Nissan GTR (Eaglemoss)

I personally am not fond of these modern cars without (in my opinion) much of a distinguished shape. I wouldn't spend my energy on that.   

14031112141d14bb246fcc8a83.jpg

71. Fiat 500 Abarth (Hachette)

It's a nice little car, building of which will require the use of an Optivisor even on 1/8th scale. I would have preferred to see the original version.

fiat_500_hachette_2008.jpg

70. Ford F100 (Salvat)

This pick-up truck doesn't do it for me.

hqdefault.jpg

69. Subaru Impreza (Hachette)

I know that there's a large fanbase for this car type, so this is a nice project for that group. To me this car has the power but lacks the looks.  

hachette-subaru-3.jpg

68. Porsche Carrera RSR (Entex)

This one you either like or don't. I was never interested in this branche of motorsport and the lines of this Porsche are not my favourite.  

192310-12155-50-pristine.jpg

67. Chevrolet Opala (Salvat)

A Brasilian kit maker has found a niche subject.

maxresdefault.jpg

66. Audi Quattro (DeAgostini)

Crazy 80's! A revolutionary car, bearing a somewhat normal appearance. This kit would be the first on this list I'd build if it were to mysteriously enter my stash.  

img-collection.png

65. Renault 5 Maxi Turbo (Altaya)

A small racing monster with a big reputation. 

La-l%C3%A9gendaire-Renault-5-Maxi-Turbo-

64. Volkswagen Golf GTI (Hachette)

The Volkswagen Golf is a modern classic and is a very interesting subject. Because we all know it so well, building it realistically will be equally challenging and rewarding.

Hachette-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-to-1-8-scal

63. Porsche 911 (Pocher)

I'm not a Porsche-fan at all. Still I think that a 1/8th scale 911 would guarantee an impressive building experience.

638732-11014-63-pristine.jpg

62. Porsche 911 (Altaya)

The standard classic Porsche 911 is still the prettiest in my view. If I had to choose a Porsche I'd choose this one.

altaya-porsche-911-carrera-rs-27_hd_9608

61. Lamborghini Countach (Altaya)

Standing next to a real Countach, is an impressive experience in itself. The car is so low that the roof is approximately situated at heel's height. Flat, low and sensational.  

kitlamborghini18-500x193.jpg

60. Nissan 2000GT-R (DeAgostini)

You really don't see these on your everyday street anymore. Perhaps not the prettiest of cars, looking at pictures of them now incurs some nostalgia. Why design things curvy if they can be done straight :)

Nissan-Skyline-KPGC10-GT-R-Hakosuka-subs 

59. Willys Jeep (Hachette)

I'd rather see a Jeep in its natural habitat, shown in a diorama, but if done in such a large scale weathering might prove to be the biggest challenge.

4910334650870_1.jpg

58. James Bond Lotus Esprit (Eaglemoss)

I wonder how many people are going to purchase this kit...

original.png

57. Tyrell P34 (Hachette)

One of the more curious designs in Formula 1's rich history; as such not necessarily improving my awe-inspiration versus this kit. 

XA2yMj7.jpg

56. Delorean (Eaglemoss)

Back to the Future-nostalgia. After having built this model and putting it in your cupboard or on the table... in this scale... you know for certain you'll have a discussion piece during birthday parties.

maxresdefault.jpg

55. Chevrolet Camaro (Monogram)

Nowadays it may be hard to understand how Monogram could have issued this version of Chevrolet's Camaro... general taste has changed quite radically. Those days this was a pinnacle of design. Oh well..

170982-10571-pristine.jpg

54. Renault Alpine (Eaglemoss)

Quite a rare car, this kit probably offers a nice and interesting build.

696902b4ea333fc8029af33ad0c03080.png

53. McLaren MP4-23 (DeAgostini)

A relic from times long gone for McLaren... but who knows, next year more succes? The kit features a nice subject but it's too recent to be seen as a classic. I wouldn't start this as eagerly as I would other F1-kits.

m_01_cover_1_4.jpg

52. Lancia Delta (Hachette)

A great rally car. This kit too, is certainly going to be a stunner and discussion piece during parties if displayed. For those who are sensitive for those things...  

245927d1462556007-auto-lancia-delta-1-8-

51. Pontiac Trans Am (Monogram)

From the same era as the mentioned Camaro, but the Pontiac looks a bit better in my opinion. The correct (and huge!) decal on the hood looks impressive. 

193533-10571-48-pristine.jpg

50. Lamborghini Aventador (Pocher)

This model was Pocher's (=Hornby's) reintroduction to the modeling community, after a few decades of absence. The quality is traditionally below-perfect but that implies a nicer challenge. I personally regret that Pocher didn't choose a classical or even vintage car, a subject they became famous at. Still it's a nice model.

263551-12266-12-pristine.jpg

49. Mini Cooper (Eaglemoss)

Who could forget this bugger... the original seriously small version of the Mini. Even on 1/8th scale this is not going to be a giant.

30lfgch.jpg

48. Lamborghini Huracan (Pocher)

I like the successor to the Aventador just a little more. I'm not sure how high build quality is with this kit.

hqdefault.jpg

47. Ferrari Laferrari (Hachette)

Literally and figuratively in the line of Pocher's Lamborghinis Hachette issued the Laferrari. A real dream car and presumably quite the build experience.

4910313720952_1.jpg

46. Aston-Martin DB5 (Eaglemoss)

The DB5 isn't my favourite Aston-Marton model, that's the unspeakably beautiful DB2. Still I wouldn't refuse a building project such as the DB5, but I think I'd amend the kit slightly to get the regular car rather than James Bond's toy.  

original.png

45. Fiat 600D (Salvat)

For those who thought the Fiat 600D was a petite car... have a look at this:

maqueta-salvat-seat-600-d-1-8.jpg

44. Renault 8 Gordini (altaya)

This funny little car is a surprising kit maker's choice, certainly in 1/8th scale. But that doesn't make it any less attractive. 

maxresdefault.jpg

43. Simca 1000

The same type of automobile as the Renault, really. But the Simca pleases my senses a bit more.

27.11.jpg

42. John Player Special Lotus (Entex / Grip)

Beautiful racer from a wild era. 

1092144-27767-37-pristine.jpg

41. Ferrari F40 (Pocher)

There are many die hard fans of the Ferrari F40 and specifically those of this Pocher kit. I remember from when this car had just been launched at car shows that it made a big impression on me. Seeing one in real life (I still have a photograph of myself as a kid standing in front of a F40) on a car show, as a nice happening. As time has gone by, the shape of this car has failed to make the super-positive impression last. It now looks a bit old fashioned to me, while not classic. There's no doubt though that this is still an impressive car with supercar power and performance.

1023371-16029-72-1440.jpg

40. Ferrari Testarossa (Pocher)

I like the Ferrari Testarossa just a little bit better than the F40. That amazing V12-engine...

1023359-16029-47-pristine.jpg

39. Seat 124 (Eaglemoss)

Is it a Fiat 124? A Lada 1200? Well, approximately... but produced by Seat. In the Netherlands this car is typically known as 'a Lada'. Eaglemoss' version features scale-true rear window heater plus fingerprints decals.

wrza4z.jpg

38. Peugeot 205 GTI (Eaglemoss)

Or 'racer for the roads'. Nice of Eaglemoss to have issued this kit. I think that many then-young-adults who see this kit, are much attracted to it.  

64759410.jpg

37. Alfa-Romeo Giulia (Hachette)

Police livery. Of all the Alfa Romeos I don't think this is the prettiest, as it is a bit too straight-angled and tall for my taste. De politie-uitvoering.

hqdefault.jpg

36. Volkswagen T1 bus (Altaya)

This little van has always been so overhyped, real-life as well as in scale, that I don't see the added value to build one (even if it's monster scale 1/8). I don't think I will get the feeling of building something truly special. Still it's a beautiful timeless design with a comfy feel to it.

big-5159041980.jpg?v=6

35. Fiat 126 (DeAgostini)

These Fiats can still be spotted on Polish roads, where they are cherished just like 50s cars in Cuba. I love the modest design and would certainly not refuse the challenge if this kit were to cross my path. 

sfondo-collezione.jpg

34. Ford Mustang (Altaya)

Almost just as common as a Volkswagen Beetle or the T1, a Mustang is always a beauty to behold. This is a nice version by the way. Fans of this car should be delighted with this release.

Altaya-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-500%E2%84%

33. Volkswagen 1303 (Altaya)

Well yes, the Beetle... what can I say. Of course it's a nice model and it would be a change of pace to build it on such a large scale.

vw_0210.jpg

32. Rolls Royce Sedanca / Ambassador (Pocher)

The classic Pocher kit is and always will remain a piece of art, whether you like Rolls Royce or not. Personally I am not a fan, but Codger's build report was addictive and provided plenty of inspiration.

193542-12023-13-pristine.jpg

31. McLaren M23 (Eidai / Entex)

An F1-car of this car on this scale is sure to impress (nearly) any spectator. 

199985-10911-54-pristine.jpg

30. Fiat F2 (Pocher)

Before the Formula 1 existed, official Grands Prix were held. In the second year of Grands Prix, Fiat participated through the F2. Pocher chose this model as its introduction to the modeling world in the 60s. It's still the most accessible Pocher model, also price-wise. If you're lucky you can purchase this type for 400 or 500 euros (350 to 450 pounds).

946762-12423-71-pristine.jpg

29. Warszawa M-20 (DeAgostini)

The Polish corporation of Warszawa may not be the most famous of car brands, but that didn't keep DeAgostini from issuing a kit of the M-20 that I really like visually.

z13300216IE,Warszawa-M-20.jpg

28. Corvette C3 (Monogram)

I love Corvettes and not in the least the C3, although the interior is quite cramped (the driver's arm is virtually glued to the door). Still this kit isn't higher up in my list, because as a scale replica it doesn't appeal to me as much.  

497254-16143-86-pristine.jpg

27. Jaguar XK-E (Monogram/Revell)

The prettiest car ever created? It is written so often (Enzo Ferrari is said to have stated this... but who checks these things, really) but I personally disagree. For example, I have always thought the wheels are too small for the car and they are positioned too much inwardly. Of course that's a matter of taste. I wouldn't mind if this kit were to be my next project though.  

968851-16793-32-pristine.jpg

26. Nissan Fairlady (Eaglemoss)

A rare appearance on today's roads, it has very attractive curves.

s-l1000.jpg

25. Dacia 1300 (Eaglemoss)

The Romanian branch of Eaglemoss must have (virtually) thought... let's honour something Romanian. That's this car, the unprecedentedly beautiful Dacia 1300. Actually it was precedented by the Renault 12 which is the same car. And maybe it's not that beautiful, really. But fun.

maxresdefault.jpg

24. Volvo Amazon (Editions Atlas) 

Ah, nice, a Volvo Amazon. These are still to be found in Dutch roads, because we have a wide fanbase of this type.

ea-amazon122s-00002_orig.jpg

23. Lotus Renault 97T (Altaya)

I think this is one of the better looking Formula 1 cars.

?thumbnail=1

22. Skoda 100 (DeAgostini)

Exquisitely shaped little car and a rarity. I think this kit could provide a lot of building joy, if only because you're doing something very few others would tackle

r7ualu.jpg

21. Citroën 2CV (Altaya)

Yes, the trusty old 2CV. It's not as much as a cliche as the Volkswagen Beetle, but does make for a model that everyone knows and everybody has an opinion on.

citroen_2cv_1_8_altaya_pub_floue.jpg

20. Ferrari 643 (Rosso)

This model from the good old days of Formula 1, those days of nice engine sounds, will surely please those who notice this model in your display case.

941123-12155-60-pristine.jpg

19. Ferrari 312 T4 (Fabbri Centauria)

Same story as with the Ferrari 643.

hqdefault.jpg

18. Citroën H
An exceptionally ugly van with plenty of good memories. I'd like to build this thing one day and what scale would do it better justice than the detail-superfluous 1/8th scale...  

hh21010.jpg

17. Renault 4 (Eaglemoss)

The Renault 4 is even less of a modeling cliche than the Citroën 2CV. That isn't a natural thing per se, because it's a beloved car model many of which have been sold. The eye-pleasing body lining will surely keep this build interesting and motivating.

42280-707877002-jpg

16. Alfa Romeo 8C (Pocher)

Another classic... Pocher surely knew how to choose its subjects. Beautiful car.

375342-24595-29-pristine.jpg

15. Ford GT40 (Altaya)

This is certainly a display model, with ostentatious characteristics such as the remarkably designed 'bonnet' and its ultra-low shape. It's a great vehicle with timeless character.

big-637734420c.jpg?v=1

14. McLaren MP4/4 (Altaya)

The most successful racer in the history of Formula 1... only one non-win (not even due to faulty technique), made legendary through Ayrton Senna's talent. Beside that, it has a powerful and cool look. Therefore it's the highest F1-model on my list.  

Maqueta-McLaren-MP4-4-1988-Ayrton-Senna-

13. Citroën Traction Avant (Heller)

Nice French 'gangster car', quite a difficult kit unfortunately. The kit has a lot of parts though and provides for an excellent model if done with patience. 

170040-14745-21-pristine.jpg

12. Citroën Traction Avant cabriolet (Hachette)

If I could choose between the Citroen 15 limousine or the Citroen 11 convertible, I'd eventually (after a lot of thought) choose the latter. It's a car designed at a point in time where history was bound to move unexpected and radically different ways, this car is a relic from an era filled with trust and luxury.

big-5823551d0b.jpg?v=1

11. Bugatti 50T (Pocher)

This beautiful vehicle from the golden age I had the pleasure of visiting, studying and photographing for my friend Thierry and his build of this exact kit. It's a product of astonishing beauty.  

k76catalog.jpg

The top 10 will be announced later (to make all of this traditionally suspenseful, of course). Reactions are welcomed.  

• Like 3

For me from that list the one I would give my left *cough* for is the Rosso 1/8 Ferrari 643. I see them on eBay rarely and also quite alot on buyee.jp go for silly money. It's a shame that Rosso went able to do more as I read their factory had a fire in which alot of stock and basically every mould was destroyed. 

So if anyone has a Rosso 643 that they would like to trade for a fairly healthy kidney then I would be willing to deal.

Shaun 

Morning Chaps :bye:

Wow I didn't even know half of those even existed!

We are unlucky down here in Africa's Bottom that we don't see a tenth of those that are actually available in part works.

My all time No1 1/8th scale is the Pocher Bugatti T50. It took me years to find one at a decent price, and i'm building it :) (albiet very slowly)

Two others I have in my stash, The Monogram E Type and 57 Chevy that will be built some day.

Very nice list Roy 

Mad Steve

Ooo! A 205 gti kit, I used to have a 1:1 scale one of those. And that alfa 8c looks gorgeous

2 hours ago, krow113 said:

On two wheels:

1/8 - 1/9 who's counting...

Nice selection. Have you ever come across a kit of a suzuki bandit? I used to ride a gsf1250s until it had a high speed refurbishment and I quite fancy making a mini version but I cantfind any models of one.

• Like 1

Thanks.

No never heard of a kit of that bike , I favour the Harley's and English bikes.

A number of Protar kits as well , someJapanese, just because those kits are so iconic.

Had the Commando , a 750 Combat , so the one kit of that is cool.

Numerous Harleys.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, shood23 said:

jp go for silly money. It's a shame that Rosso went able to do more as I read their factory had a fire in which alot of stock and basically every mould was destroyed. 

Hi Shaun, most of these kits have reached considerable prices. Nice Trivial Pursuit of the burnt down factory, I didn't know that. Thanks (to everyone!) for replying and participaing in this thread by the way.

14 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Wow I didn't even know half of those even existed!

Same here. It's not that all of them exist, some of them have never been completely issued (only a test version). I should have mentioned that, or I should have left those out, now I come to think of it. 

My all time No1 1/8th scale is the Pocher Bugatti T50. It took me years to find one at a decent price, and i'm building it :) (albiet very slowly)

Great choice. I hope you have seen Crazycrank's build report. He does go crazy on the detail. See here

Two others I have in my stash, The Monogram E Type and 57 Chevy that will be built some day.

Are you sure the '57 Chevrolet isn't a 1/12 or 1/16 scale kit? The Monogram E-Type looks like a lot of fun indeed... 

10 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I very much want that Volvo 122 S! I wonder if UK customers can order this?

Sure looks like a well manufactured kit. Can't answer your question unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, Major_Error said:

That was a really surprising list!

Many models I would like to build. I have been looking for a Miura, but have not found any suitable yet. Well. That is my period for the time being. 1/8 is a nice size to handle!

Surprising to me too I must confess. 1/8th provides room for plenty of detailing. 

5 hours ago, elderly said:

As the owner of two 1:1s in the late '60s and early '70s - I NEED ;) that Alfa Giulia Super, but I'd have to convert it from the police version to a standard road going version.

If it's available, it's not going to be cheap... 

3 hours ago, krow113 said:

1/8 - 1/9 who's counting...

Not being a major bike enthusiast I kept to cars on the list, so no large Volvo truck, no tractors, no bicycles (!) or bikes. That having said, some nice models have been issued in 1/8th and 1/9th. They are much more affordable too. 

29 minutes ago, Redshift said:

Ooo! A 205 gti kit, I used to have a 1:1 scale one of those. And that alfa 8c looks gorgeous

I think the Peugeot 205 GTI was never issued in full. The Alfa Romeo 8C is reasonably affordable, for Pocher standards. 

10. Alfa Romeo Spider (Hachette)

Hachette may have been influenced by a Pocher-specific feeling of historic consciousness, to issue two Alfa Romeo types as kits. The Giulia is on #37 of the list. The Alfa Romeo Spider is, in my view, a bit prettier. I think it would be a great build experience, possibly leading to an impressive end result.

attachment.php?attachmentid=266454&stc=1

• Like 1

Another job of excellent research and presentation Roy. Quite a few more examples than I thought existed too.

Thank you for the kind comments about my Rolls. Yes, most all the Pocher classics can be considered art, each with varying degrees of difficulty. Several examples of the Bugatti and Mercedes have been in progress here and  a few, sadly, not brought to completion.  I got completely taken-over by mine and developed a great affinity for the 1:1 examples. You appear to be headed in that direction with your magnificent scratch build of the Delage. Deep involvement always produces outstanding models. I'm so glad you switched the build plan to 1/8 scale. Waiting anxiously for you to begin the build presentation.

I will warn any of you that most all models in this category require a great deal of space to appreciate them properly. Plan wisely if you're contemplating more than one or two. :king:

7 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Are you sure the '57 Chevrolet isn't a 1/12 or 1/16 scale kit? The Monogram E-Type looks like a lot of fun indeed... 

Ach Roy you are right, its a 12th scale :) 

The problem with 8th scale kits for me is, although I have quite a large modelling room, I don't have the space to have the Bugatti on the bench all the time, and have the odd tinker which eventually leads to it being finished. it will be finished though :)  

5 hours ago, Codger said:

I will warn any of you that most all models in this category require a great deal of space to appreciate them properly. Plan wisely if you're contemplating more than one or two. :king:

I keep my Bugatti in the 'smallest room in the house' (which is under the staircase!) 

and so I (and everybody else who uses that facility) can sit and contemplate it whilst waiting

for their gastrocolic reflex :P

22 hours ago, elderly said:

and of course there's the current De ag E-Type coupe.

Yes I probably should have mentioned that there's also the DeAgostini version. 

16 hours ago, Codger said:

You appear to be headed in that direction with your magnificent scratch build of the Delage.

I know you've been patiently waiting for that build to be reprised. The real Delage has returned to its home base in Florida so I might receive those measurements before too long. I won't remind them though (had told them there's no current rush) as I've been busy elsewhere. But I must say that the 1/8-virus has been slowly but surely become catchy again. 

Deep involvement always produces outstanding models. I'm so glad you switched the build plan to 1/8 scale.

Thanks to your key advice. 

15 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

it will be finished though :)  

Looking forward to it, it is a nice model. 

10 hours ago, elderly said:

I keep my Bugatti in the 'smallest room in the house' (which is under the staircase!) 

and so I (and everybody else who uses that facility) can sit and contemplate it whilst waiting

for their gastrocolic reflex :P

LOL perhaps you should let it out of that room and put it on the table, just to study its shape, its progress and things you could easily do to improve it... (or is that bad advice :D

9. Zis 6 (Hachette)

Unfortunately this is a test only (thus far... who knows), this time by the Russian branch of Hachette. It's a small truck (a bit in between Pocher's Volvo and the cars). If this will be issued in full one day, it will be extremely impressive no doubt. 86 centimeters in length... 

It's a famous model on club tables, but mainly on 1/35th and 1/72th. The enormous proportions of 1/8 would do this model even more justice.  

71308-bm13a-jpg

Video of the real truck (most of it...)

8. Zis -110 (Hachette / DeAgostini)

A limousine to host dictators such as Stalin, this really is a monstrously large car of, in scale, no less than 75 centimeter in length (to compare: the truck #7 has a length of 86 centimeters). Stylish design, seemingly unknown in Europe but very appealing.

25dc02a5cbea53b2ba134c78088dc1911.jpg

This is how in this kit a door is constructed:

7. Gaz Volga M-21 (Hachette)

Staying in the Sovjet Union for just a little while, with this pretty Gaz. It's a jewel for any display cabinet, as far as I'm concerned. By the way, it seems that I missed a model... DeAgostini also issued a (completed) kit of the Gaz M20. I think I like the M21 a little better, but be sure to Google the M20. I'll cheat and put these two on a tied seventh spot :)  

25156496548_514e7e4b9b_b.jpg

Here a walkaround-video of the real car:

Here a picture of the finished model. 

6. Mazda Cosmo Sport (DeAgostini)

Equally little-known and remarkably beautiful, this is the Mazda Cosmo Sport. It's well designed little sports car with very slim and slender shapes. DeAgostini's kit includes a 1:2 kit of the wankel rotary engine.

4910333741074_1.jpg

1967-mazda-cosmo-sport-l10a-3.jpg

Come on, isn't this a sports car of almost Italian-inspired beauty? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

What a great thread Roy! Your research and presentation is incredible. It has me really thinking about what my favorite 1/8 kit is. 

Rich

Careful pal - you'll be moving to the next larger flat...:whip:

Great job on the research of all of the 1/8 kits out there. I, too, didn't know that there are that many 1/8 kits. I have kind of a love hate thing with these kits. I like the size to work on them and the amount of detail work you can do and it's easier on my eyes and sausage fingers. I don't like how big they are on the workbench and the amount of space they take up when finished for display. Most all of "big" scale kits are too toy like other than the Pochers and maybe a couple others like the Citroen but, for the most part they are too simple and just look like big toys. Even after a while some of the Pocher parts didn't look right either. I think that my favorites are all Pocher just because of the level of detail. I like the Pocher Mercedes K80, the Alfa Monza and if I ever get back to it, the F40. The qualifier here is that each of these also has to have either MMC parts or in the case of the F40 the transkit to do it right. With the extras each could be the holy grail build. I know that I'm leaving out Codger's RR and the Bugatti's of Mr. Crank and Propeller which are all in this category too. There's just nothing else like a Pocher in the 1/8 scale but, I they are not everyone's taste. 

Tremble tremble.......  1/8th GT40 1/8th 911 1/8th Skyline..... please Roy no Muira's. my bank balance cant take it.........

Welcome back, missed you posting! 

Any idea if the GT40 can be bought as a whole or where from ?

Thank you for taking time to do this

On 15/12/2017 at 9:53 PM, rjfk2002 said:

What a great thread Roy! Your research and presentation is incredible. It has me really thinking about what my favorite 1/8 kit is. 

And? :D 

On 16/12/2017 at 2:04 AM, larchiefeng said:

Most all of "big" scale kits are too toy like (...) for the most part they are too simple and just look like big toys. Even after a while some of the Pocher parts didn't look right either. I think that my favorites are all Pocher just because of the level of detail. I like the Pocher Mercedes K80, the Alfa Monza and if I ever get back to it, the F40. The qualifier here is that each of these also has to have either MMC parts or in the case of the F40 the transkit to do it right. With the extras each could be the holy grail build. 

I must emphasise that I didn't make this list based on kit quality, otherwise the Pochers would have all gotten higher up in the list. I do agree that some of the 'subscription kits' seem to be a bit toy-like, but not all. 

other than the Pochers and maybe a couple others like the Citroen

I must and will correct my assessment that the Heller kit of the Citroen 15 six would be 'mediocre'. Having looked into it a bit more into detail and having read the first pages of Roymattblack's very instructive build report (and having bought two started but complete kits... yes I am a weak person)... I have come to understand that the Heller kit may very well be the best one, detail-wise (perhaps not fit-wise but that can be corrected with a (large) bit of TLC). See here Roymattblack's view on the quality. 

10 hours ago, cati said:

Tremble tremble.......  1/8th GT40 1/8th 911 1/8th Skyline..... please Roy no Muira's. my bank balance cant take it.........

It seems that I hadn't found it and it isn't on my list... should definitely be on there; but here it is, the 1/8th scale Lamborghini Miura by Modelrossi:

image.jpg[/ 

image.jpg

image.jpg 

image.jpg

See here. Just 1.500 euros.. 

Studying that site a bit more, it seems they have issued a transkit for the E-type to transform it into a very pretty spider: 

image.jpg 

Any idea if the GT40 can be bought as a whole or where from ?

I think that's one of the kits that hasn't been launched in full (yet?). 

5. Corvette C2 (Monogram / Revell)

One of the most affordable kits on this list.. the Corvette C2, originally issued by Monogram. 

266893-19018-80-pristine.jpg

Unfortunately the kit is a bit ancient too, the molds were prepared in 1965. Revell chose to reissue the kit even last year, notwithstanding those 50 year old molds. Who can blame Revell... the pricing is modest and there's always going to be demand for 1/8th scale models. If you have those molds, why not use them. It's very expensive to produce brand new ones, for a limited public. 

Of all Corvette types the C2 is arguably one of the prettiest. Famous is the 1963 version, with the 'split window' rear. If I had this kit I'd almost certainly convert it into a convertible. Including side pipes. 

If this kit appeals to you, don't hesitate for too long, now that it's still available for around 100 euros (#07434). In a few year this can be a bit different, looking at price developments of the other 1:8-kits. Be prepared to modify the kit and to add details, to not make it look like a large toy as mentioned by Larchieveng. 

Here a vid... fast forward to 8:38 for sound and the car in motion. 

• Like 1

Rpy 

I saw another post about Modelrossi not supplying kits

I always wanted one of these, just need to find a good builder who works for beer and peanuts - would love one of these, but my skills are not high enough to risk it

Nic 

I think you might want to contact Modelrossi, perhaps they will make an exception (if that is their policy.. I don't know). You never know.

4. Mercedes-Benz 300SL (Eaglemoss)

Pocher's next model was going to be a 1/8th scale version of the world famous Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. It's one of my favourite cars ever... spotting one in te wild is a guarantee for goosebumps for me. This mainly concerns the coupe version featuring gullwing doors, to a lesser extent regarding the convertible. A few years ago I saw one standing at a gas station near Amsterdam and I almost fell on my head out of astonishment. Normally you'll find these cars in museums and car shows. 

Pocher didn't continue its plans (yet; Hornby isn't doing very well so perhaps it will never happen; let's all hope that Airfix and Pocher will survive this phase or that a realistic takeover offer is done for the company). However while preparing this list I found out that Eaglemoss already issued the model on this scale. 

original.png

dsc_0024.jpg

3. Corvette C4 (Monogram)

I don't honestly have the illusion that anyone else on this forum would put this 4th generation Corvette in his or her personal top 3 or even top 20. This really is a typical product of the 80s. With more straight edges than its predecessor as well as its successor, but not as straight as some cars from that same era. The reason I'd love to build this kit is that I used to own a real C4 and I cherish good memories. I sold it with an aching hear (tears were nearby, when I saw it driving away from me...) when our daughter was born; unfortunately it's a two-seater. 

It's quite a futuristic car with digital dash: 

100_4396.JPG

At one point in time my dash broke, leaving you clueless as to speed and other things such as petrol tank contents. For speed determination I had to use a GPS (until the dash was fixed).

The pictures I saw of the finished kit really do justice to the real car, matching beautifully. But as mentioned before I realise I may well be the only one who appreciates this car so much. To all others... this really is a chance to build something very... few... ever... built! Try it, please :)

The large engine block (5,7 litres, curiously called 'small block' by Chevrolet) : 

ProCharger_TPI_Corvette.jpg

If I'll ever own another C4 I'll certainly build that kit. All required references in the garage... as good as it gets!

1985-chevrolet-corvette-c4-monogram.jpg

Do have a look at this great video.. quit hilarious these days, it's a commercial from 1984, emphasising the futuristic character of this car. Mind the music, special effects (image / sound)... and the general atmosphere. Classic!  smile.gif 

• Like 1

The large engine block (5,7 litres, curiously called 'small block' by Chevrolet) : 

The term 'small block' refers to the deck height of this block. This type of Chevrolet has a deck height of 9.025". 'Big block' engines from Chevrolet have a deck height of 9.80" and larger. These allow larger displacements due to increased stroke and/or bore spacing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Codger said:

The term 'small block' refers to the deck height of this block. This type of Chevrolet has a deck height of 9.025". 'Big block' engines from Chevrolet have a deck height of 9.80" and larger. These allow larger displacements due to increased stroke and/or bore spacing.

I never knew that, thanks for explaining this! 

• Haha 1