WNW/Cartograf Decals and setting solutions

jckspratt1

Just trying to plumb the experience of some more experienced modellers here:

I'm currently approaching the decaling stage of a WNW Pfalz DIIIa, my first. I figured this one would be a gentle start rather than attempt the other dozen WNW kits which I have gathering dust in my ever expanding stash, and I was correct - it's gone together very nicely (and any and all mistakes are solely my own!).

My question is this: I realise that WNW themselves advise against using any setting solutions in favour of using a hair-dryer, but is that entirely necessary? I used Micro- family solutions for the smaller decals - cockpit etc. -  without any adverse effects (so as a very limited test there seems to be no issue), and I have never found Cartograf decals to be anything but tolerant of these solutions (with aircraft of other eras). Frankly I'd feel more comfortable using these solutions instead of risking using a hair-dryer (risk being relative, but I've never used the WNW recommended method before). Has anyone else gone rogue and used my proposed technique, or will it all end in tears if I push on?

Any suggestions or cautionary tales are eagerly sought.

SAS

That's very interesting question! Does the WNW use some different Cartograf decals that usualy? In Arma Hobby we provide excellent Cartograf decals in our Expert and Deluxe sets PZL P.7a and Expert set Fokker E.V (those premium kits with PE parts and bigger decal sheets) and these work perfectly with the Micro Sol. Even on the very complex corrugated metal wing surfaces of the PZL P.7a, see my photo below:

kalka2.jpg

I've already got the Cartograf decals (including lozenge) for our newest Fokker E.V but have to test them yet. It has to be noted that our kits are 1/72.

All the best from Warsaw!

Grzegorz

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 2

Thanks guys - my thoughts exactly. Cartograf has always worked brilliantly with Micro Sol and Set (some decals are too delicate for Set, but not Cartograf), so I am curious as to why WNW warn specifically against using solutions.

BTW GrzeM, the detail on that PZL wing is great (particularly if it's for a 1/72, which is Arma's scale I believe), and yes, the decaling has conformed precisely.

• Like 1

I have used Micro Sol/Set on all my WNW builds and never a problem. Indeed, I found them especially usefull for the large lozenge pattern decals on the wings of my Fokker DVII and H-B W12 builds.

I am unable to comment on other brands of solvent and I would test them first first; especially if you are using strong stuff like Solvaset or some of the DACO Products range.

HTH

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks Gary - I use Micro-Sol/Set too, and would have thought it would be ideal for exactly the use you put it to - I've previously used it for lozenges on 1?48 with great results.

I wonder why WNW make the suggestion they do - but regardless, thanks for putting my mind at ease. It's going to be about 40C here for the next couple of days, and air-conditioning sometimes impacts on decal setting, so I'll tackle the Pfalz in a couple of days.

SAS