Falke 'Modified' WIP -Completed!!!

Hi all. Another sci-fi build in the making. I decided to do my first sci-fi diorama which will include a Falke from Hasegawa and a possible scratch/kit bash models to incorporate in the setup. Since this is going to be my first sci-fi diorama, don't expect some high tech advanced scenario here. ;) I am going to give it my best. Now, I have an idea of what I want but not really sure how to implement it. But, I will eventually figure it out as I go along. The first model I started on is the Falke model from Hasegawa. I have seen this model many a times on the internet. When I was at a model show, I noticed someone was selling it for cheap and I could not resist the temptation to get it. Now, I just bought it to use whatever parts that may be of use, to use in kit bashing. But then, I decided to modify the kit further. If you know me by now you know I just couldn't resist:

2v2u5Fq2FxAWPEi.jpg

The red lines and circles represent the areas I chopped off with a hand saw. The rear engine was made to sit onto the internal side walls by the help of side by 90-degree brackets on the engine. There is only one disadvantage to this design. The rear engine has to be mounted before painting. This is because, you would not be able to mount the rear engine after you mount both halves of the fuselage. This only makes it difficult to paint the rear engine. But of course, you will have to mask the rear engine before you can paint the fuselage. I though this idea did not sit right with me. So I removed those brackets on the engine. This way, I can mount the fuselage, and do all the painting I want, and then, mount the rear engine back into the rear slot with glue. Simple. They should have done this in the initial stages of the kit.

2v2u5FqMMxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqzzxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FF22xAWPEi.jpg

2v2u5FnznxAWPEi.jpg

2v2u5FqoqxAWPEi.jpg

-----------------------------------

2v2u5FqvyxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5Fq9NxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqJjxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqEnxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqaFxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqZyxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqQ5xAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqKrxAWPEi.jpg

Edited by tiking
  • Like 4

More modification done to the side engines. when I removed the side engines from the pod itself, It left a large opening. So I had to had plastic card around the opening.

2v2u5FqwFxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqfdxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqB5xAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5Fq6NxAWPEi.jpg

Edited by tiking
  • Like 6

I decided to add details to the cockpit, since it is pretty plain when you first get the kit. Adding details to the cockpit is pretty much useless. That's because, many of the details will not be seen once the pilot is inserted into the seat. So all what I'm doing is pretty much useless. Yet I still do it. ;) I added whatever bits & pieces I could find from my 'Misc. Box' of parts, which has lots of spare parts left over from many old and new kits, I had purchased over the years.

2v2u5FqkyxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqDNxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5Fq4rxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqT8xAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqSMxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqL5xAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqWrxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FqCyxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 7

I have managed to paint the cockpit and the details. This has to be done before you mount both halves of the model. That is why I am doing all the painting and detail now, because it would not be accessible after mounting.

Primed:

2v2u5FFZNxAWPEi.jpg

Painted:

2v2u5Fng2xAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FnnWxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FnFnxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 9

I have also added the pilot's instrument panel. I painted it black and dried brushed it with silver. Then I added the decals. I kinda messed up and cut out a piece of the decal. It took a while to get the decals to fit. But that little cut will not be so prominent when the panel is placed in the cockpit.

2v2u5Fn5dxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FnNyxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5FnjNxAWPEi.jpg
2v2u5Fn8rxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 8

Well I will be watching this one. The Falke is one of my favourites.

You were very lucky to find one at a cheap price.

I'm sure you know that the side pods are from the 1/32nd P-38 Lightning.

The centre fuselage was a Japanese sports car and the engine is a Yakult bottle.

I have this kit in the stash and have scratchbuilt several over the years.

I do like your detailing work, the cockpit is looking great.

• Like 2

Thank you Pete. Yeah. I kinda read about how the builder  made the kit. Very interesting choice of parts.  Heck, that's how the millinium Falcon got made. From many off the shelves parts. That's  the joy of Sci-FI. You can never be in the wrong.

• Like 2

Wow, that cockpit is incredible, the weathering is really well done, and not over done, and the instruments are really great. I particularly like the orange on the main screen, just adds that bit of colour and sharpness into the darker, weathered cockpit. Really nice.

2 hours ago, James B said:

Wow, that cockpit is incredible, the weathering is really well done, and not over done, and the instruments are really great. I particularly like the orange on the main screen, just adds that bit of colour and sharpness into the darker, weathered cockpit. Really nice.

Much appreciated James. Working on painting the figure at this very moment. Will post shortly.

• Like 2

Now it is unto the figure building and painting. The figure is not the best  but since half of the body is going to be hidden within the cockpit, I am not so concern. I used putty to fill in the gaps and ONLY areas that were going to be seen. As I will not be painting the lower legs and the back of the figure,as these areas will not be seen. I also left the feet off the body, as they will definitely not be seen when the figure is in the cockpit.

2v2u5FF35xAWPEi.jpg

2v2u5FF9jxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vDrxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 5

The figure painted and mounted in the cockpit. I used Citadel paints to paint the figure. I added a decal from an old aircraft kit, I had lying in my 'box of tricks'. The kit's decal is a little tough to get it to sit. So if you are going to build this kit, make sure you lay a good coat of gloss on the surface of the area you are going to put decals on. I think I am satisfied with the look.Hope you guys are too. Now I can glue the two halves of the craft together and continue unto the exterior part.

2v2ur1vcFxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vwdxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vfyxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vA5xAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vBNxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1v6rxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vtjxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vY8xAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1v7MxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vRzxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vsdxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vPyxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1vk5xAWPEi.jpg

2v2ur1viNxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

I absolutely love the Falke, its a dream model of mine that I've never managed to get so will watch this with interest.

The cockpit and pilot look really good, nice paint and the added details are very cool

Thanks for watching Rose. Appreciate your interest.

• Like 1

Ok. I have now primed and painted the hatch and it's details, and a little weathering. The green reflective screen was made by a filtertype film card I had over from my 'box of tricks'. I thought it would add a nice realistic touch to the hatch's middle screen/monitor square area.

2v2ujEn5JxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ujEnzUxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ujEq3JxAWPEi.jpg

The screen for the middle monitor:

2v2ujpDyoxAWPEi.jpg

The green filter film I used for the monitor:

2v2ujEq9axAWPEi.jpg

I have now glued the two halves together but if you look below, you will see that it did not go together at first. I was forced to glue the rear half first, then used a clamp to hold down the front end of the cockpit section so it would be able to glue together. I left it for a day just to be sure. I used super glue for this, as to be sure it will not come apart. I have heard about the two halves not mashing up correctly.

2v2ujEnSvxAWPEi.jpg

• Like 4

Below pic shows two wheel rims I will used to connect the two side engines of the Falke, I sawed off in the in the beginning stages of the build. This will act as a support mount to attach the engines. I added styrene piece to the seams of the rims to better hide it. I think it looks good. The equal distance of the small round holes , gives a it a nice look too. Now, I have been contemplating to use magnets for attaching the engines. The advantage, is that I can attach the engines whenever I like and remove them, whenever I feel like. Also, it makes it easier to adjust them so they are level. I will dwell a little more.

2v2u5FFEzxAWPEi.jpg

2v2u5FFHoxAWPEi.jpg

2v2u5FFa2xAWPEi.jpg

---------------------------------------------

Now, since removing the side engines, I have a big opening to fill up. So I decided, I will add odds and ends to give the impression of a busy looking internal machinery. This is how the opening looks like now:

2v2ujEqHjxAWPEi.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I will try and put most of all these 'odds & ends', into that space:

2v2ujEnUMxAWPEi.jpg

2v2ujEqw8xAWPEi.jpg

----------------------------------------------

...and the results so far:

2v2ujEnbzxAWPEi.jpg
2v2ujEnp3xAWPEi.jpg
2v2ujEnf9xAWPEi.jpg

------------------------------------------------

• Like 4

crikes - I'm loving this build - and crikes again, I am shocked at how big this kit is once out of the box - I've confess to never seeing this model before but it looks amazing and I love all the add-lib work you have gone to pains to add

watching with interest - next instalment soon please...