MAN LKW 5t MIL GL Truck - Hobbyboss 1:35

Julien

MAN LKW 5t MIL GL Truck

Hobbyboss 1:35

m01.JPG

In the 1960s the Bundeswher was looking to replace its fleet of vehicles which stemmed from the birth of the modern German Army. They wanted a fleet of 2, 3 & 4 axle vehicles in the 4 to 10 tonne payload range which had to be amphibious. As it was a large task it was suggested that bidding companies form a common development company for a unified project. This was set up under the leadership of MAN and included Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz, Bussins, Krup, and Henschel. The specification agreed was for a cross country capable, amphibious, all wheel drive, run flat tyres, steel cab,  NBC protection, and a multifuel engine. In 1975 the German Army & MAN signed the contract to produce 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 vehicles.

The 4x4 or KAT I & KAT I A1 vehicle is the type 452 (and 462 with fitted winch). They are powered by a V8 Deutz diesel engine and are mainly flatbed or covered type trucks. The distinctive cab with the cut away corners stems from the need for the vehciles to be rail transported on standard flat cars. Earlier trucks had fixed cabs but later ones tilting ones which made engine maintainance much easier. All vehicles feature a mount for a MG3 machine gun (basically an MG42!).

The Kit

The kit arrives on 12 sprues plus the drivers cab and the tyres, a nice inclusion is masks for the windows. For a standard 4x4 truck the box is packed with parts. Construction starts with the gear box and differentials for the transmission. These are made up and the suspension components (air bags & springs) are added. The tuck chassis is then made up from a surprising number of components and the gear box, differentials and drive shafts are then added. These are highly detailed and made up from a number of components. Once the chassis is finished the wheels can be built up, the tyres added and then they are attached to the chassis.

m02.JPG

m03.JPG

m04.JPG

Work then moves to the cab. The dash board is built up with some of the drivers foot controls added underneath it.  The base plate of the cab has the gear controls and a few other parts added then the dash is fitted. Once this is in the drivers seat and steering wheel are added along with the bench seat for the passengers. This is then the lower part of the cab complete. Moving onto the upper part the windows added along with a couple of internal parts and the main rear bulkhead. The upper cab can then be attached to the floor.  The spare wheel and carrier are completed and attached to the cab, followed by the main doors being completed and added.  The rightside equipment locker is also built up and added. On the outside of the cab the front bumper is added along with the roof hatch, mirrors, wipers and parts for the engine hatch. The completed cab can then be added ot the chassis.  After this is done the exhaust system is built up and added. Along with some additional parts under the cab.

m05.JPG

m06.JPG

m11.JPG

Next up the truck bed needs to built up. The side stanchions are added to the flat bed and the drop down side panels can then be added. The fixed head board is added along with the steps to access up the cab.  If the seating for the rear bed is to be used this then must be made up, and added. Weapons racks can then be made up and attached to the head board if using the seating. Moving on to the underside of the truck bed supports are added along with the mud flaps and racking for ancillary equipment. This includes fuel cans, wheel chocks and equipment lockers. Hoops and the frame for the tilt covering for the flat bed can then be added if needed.  If the modeller wants the rear to be covered then they will need to make their own covering. To be honest any plastic moulded one will not probably look great so in a way its good they left this off. Once the load bed is complete it can be added to the chassis and the truck is then complete.

m07.JPG

m08.JPG

m09.JPG

m10.JPG

m12.JPG

Decals

Theses are minimal as the vehicles did not carry many markings. Decals are supplied for a UN attached truck in overall white and a KFOR deployed vehicle.

m12a.JPG

Conclusion

It is great to see a modern support vehicle being made available, this gives many diorama possibilities as well as a great stand alone model. The kit is nicely complex and should build up to be a great looking kit.

Highly recommended. 

bin.jpg
Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif

• Like 1

Nice kit indeed, but I'm afraid to notice that Revell already issued the whole range of MAN LKWs, the 8x8 10ton, the 6x6 7t and even the 4x4 5t.
They did each one both in 1/35 and 1/72 scale.
In the meanwhile our hair is becoming graying waiting for a plastic kit of the ubiquitous U.S. M54 truck, at a decent price and in both scales.

Just my two € cents :-)
Luca

I'm building the Revell kit at the moment,certainly Trumpeter have added a lot more smaller detail's but I'm with Luca on the price,I paid £16 at my

LMS for mine and one thing that Revell did well was the molding of the canvass if you prefer not to make one

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235026213-man-5t-4x4-truck/

Edited by stevej60