FA-18F Jolly Rogers (1/72 Academy)

Decided to go for a 1/72 FA-18F SuperBug for my next build. Always been a fan of Naval aviation, and have really been enjoying the Academy new tool 1/72 kits as well. I know they're snap-fit (sort of), but the detailing is superb and the size is perfect for my shelf. 

I am going for a Fleet Interception/ Air to Air specific loadout. Payload will be 6-7 AIM-120s and 2 wingtip AIM-9Xs. I am using 2 resin dual LAU 115/127 launchers from Attack Squadron, and 2 single LAU 115 launchers on each side. An additional AIM-120 is possible for mounting to the lower airframe right next to the landing gear. Will likely forego this, but it is possible. 

Part 1: The build. Began with the cockpit and airframe: 

5bQZVEY.jpg

QRs5dn8.jpg

lVeRqII.jpg

Intakes installed: 

atFJjrI.jpg

3nf8T83.jpg

Cockpit: Dark Gull Grey.

ZhvFVOz.jpg

AS7gXbA.jpg

rjpoCql.jpg

Mxgf5uX.jpg

Part 2: Final build and weapons.

8iTy1au.jpg

Had issues with the nose fit, so putty was a must. 

LSGPI4d.jpg

and after: 

tKirTMX.jpg

Good fix, and looks solid to boot!

Weapons and launchers: 

Weapons are from 3 different sources: 1/72 f15e eagle, Hasegawa Weapons V pack and this kit. 

HeYliVo.jpg

0liLJcJ.jpg

fO9fWr9.jpg

I decided to use 2 dual resin LAU lanchers for the AIM-120s, to bring the real Air to Air/fleet interception mission to life. 

EbCfho6.jpg

sK7pps5.jpg

57j7x8z.jpg

I think these came out quite well, and will bring the total possible number of AAMs on the bird up to 8-9 depending on if I go for 6 or 7 AIM-120s with the 2 wingtip AIM-9X's. 

Final pre-paint assembly: 

07K5rwO.jpg

Part 3: Priming and paint. 

Primer is Alclad grey primer and microfiller: 

IpEOmvo.jpg

dl7qWsA.jpg

Paint: Bottom: Light Ghost Grey MM enamel. Top: Dark Ghost Grey MM enamel: 

Bottom: Impossible to note difference between primer and paint. 

QDIYcZv.jpg

Top: 

I purposefully did the top with some thick blotches of the dark ghost to give me a head start on weathering. The blotches are to simulate salt air eroding the paint unevenly. 
SzfVNE3.jpg

hEUk8LH.jpg

hf3nazd.jpg

mJDJDUf.jpg

zl6e1gf.jpg

UbNlHwk.jpg

Next update will be post shading and further weathering (maybe salt crystals on topside). I will also try to finish weapons, and paint the LG bays, gear, and doors. 

Stay Tuned.... 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2017 at 11:05 AM, neil5208 said:

Not seen the new Academy kits as yet, any good?

They are pretty good yeah. Fit is excellent, and detail is phenomenal. They are "snap fit" and i know that is a turn off for some hardcore modelers, but at the pricepoint, and for the detail, its an excellent kit. Highly recommend any of the new tool Academy 1:72 birds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: 

Cockpit is masked and ready for its semi gloss black: 

vh4lkvt.jpg

I also did some postshading but it did not go as smoothly as I had hoped: 

UGP9ryo.jpg

gtDjrqk.jpg

The top came out real crappy, and I ended up going over the lines with another coast of Dark Ghost Grey: 

HNubgm3.jpg

The bottom postshading looks far better, and will remain:

gBtg5rL.jpg

I also painted the landing gear bay doors: 

14jN1Jz.jpg

Next steps: Paint canopy and nose (in tan). Then after curing, give a coat of clear coat to prepare for decals and weathering. 

Also considering the salt weathering techique, but not sold on it 100% yet. 

Edited by Flyboy3394
addition
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Colonel Wreck said:

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. This kit is also in the mix for my possible Carriers Ahoy! build.

Thanks Gents. It is much appreciated. Curious on your opinions about salt weathering on this. I want it to be a very dirty bird. Never done the salt technique before, so i am curious what you all think. 

Update: 

Got the Canopy painted and curing:

qnZ01RE.jpg

Radome done as well: 

h6bpg6d.jpg

AbWDYAy.jpg

Front gear bay painted as well: 

rsIuZ3c.jpg

BiNiWE6.jpg

Sidewinders are ready for decals (post curing): 

WXbF1zK.jpg

And got the gear built: 

pz0awmk.jpg

I know there is some kind of red striping on the front landing gear, but cannot, for the life of me, find any pictures that show the backside of the gear. Aside from this, I will likely go with some enamel steel to denote the suspension stanchions of the gear, and will do a black panel wash to give depth here, and the gear bays as well. 

Now I have to let this all sit and cure for a few days. Then, I think I will apply a coat of alclad aqua gloss as my first topcoat. I had better luck with the alclad than using future. Future kept bubbling on me, and I could not get a clean coat. 

Next: clear coat, then salt weathering? 

Edited by Flyboy3394
Addition
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

Is Future the one that is milky before it dries clear? I usually use Alclad aqua gloss but have a couple of bottles of Pledge Floor Care Finish in order from the U.S. I saw it on Flory Models YouTube and he swears by it.

Future is the Pledge. Its name has been changed, but most modelers still call it future. 

I find that the Alclad, if sprayed too thick, will become milky. Have not had this with Future. Instead, it just seems to be very runny when oversprayed. 

On 1/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, Flyboy3394 said:

They are pretty good yeah. Fit is excellent, and detail is phenomenal. They are "snap fit" and i know that is a turn off for some hardcore modelers, but at the pricepoint, and for the detail, its an excellent kit. Highly recommend any of the new tool Academy 1:72 birds. 

I agree, excellent kits. I have a WIP going for the Academy F-4J. Check it out. 

Update: 

Landing Gear bay painted: 

NUjBI89.jpg

Aim-9's painted: 

a6AOPWD.jpg

AMRAAMs also painted and awating clear coat: 

wfEPxza.jpg

Clear Coat: First coat did NOT go on smooth, but as I am doing salt weathering, it shouldn't be such a big deal. 

OkTOulz.jpg

Got the gun section painted in a custom mix of MM enamel steel, RN Dark grey and burnt metal: 

SEgXQ6h.jpg

Next up will be salt weathering. No clue what I am doing with this, but it seems like if I take my time, I will be fine. 

Stay Tuned....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

Decaling has begun, and I have found that the provided decals are extremely stiff, unwieldy, and prone to ripping. The large black decals shown below are extremely difficult to place correctly. Makes me wish I had just painted those sections black. 

These decals are Academy branded, and a far cry from the Cartograph branded decals included with the F15E strike eagle I build late last year. Those were easy to use and very solid. 

Decals: 

XCpC8jb.jpg

oIh4tlE.jpg

UNIyXv9.jpg

Will be continuing this tonight and until I finish. Also not going to do salt weathering after all, as I will likely just use washes to mimic weathering after decaling. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

I hope Academy haven't gone back to those terrible thick decals they were notorious for. A few of my recent Academy purchases have been driven by inclusion of lovely Cartograph decal sheets!

Will

Well I hate to break it to you, but this kit has some pretty godawful decals. They do not want to be moved off the backing, and rip extremely easily. Pretty bitter about their omission of Cartograph. Seems like a big big miss on their end. 

1 hour ago, Flyboy3394 said:

Well I hate to break it to you, but this kit has some pretty godawful decals. They do not want to be moved off the backing, and rip extremely easily. Pretty bitter about their omission of Cartograph. Seems like a big big miss on their end. 

Darn it. I hope there's a pretty quick change of mind at Academy Towers. :huh:

On the plus side, you seem to be doing a pretty good job of getting them on the kit! It's looking sharp.

Edited by Killingholme

Update: 

Decided to strip the crappy black decals and paint them. I used ALclad black gloss microprimer as it would level better than, and dry faster, than standard MM enamels. 

uiwpiPZ.jpg 

rLrK1dn.jpg

Came out nice and smooth, and I think I was able to keep it covered long enough to avoid debris getting imbedded into it too deeply. 

Meantime anyone have recommendations on a good 1/72 FA18E/F decal sheet? I ruined a few other decals in this process and need to replace them. 

Will begin decaling Missiles and other bits next. 

• Like 2

Update: 

Got the Vertical Stabs Decaled. Though, without a base coat of paint or clear coat, the decals refused to stick. So I got them all on, and sprayed some spray can clear coat. Things have stuck, and I will apply a more refined clear coat after. Lesson learned about trying to put decals down on bare plastic. It just does not work. Gotta have some form of clear coat/base coat underneath. 

zFZWds6.jpg

bmcliJ2.jpg

I did get some cracking/lifting on the left side (above orientation) black bit directly next to the cockpit, but was able to fill it in with some MM enamel in gloss black. I will be gloss coating it all tonight to protect the decals and paint I already have down, and to provide a smoother surface for the rest of the decals, as they currently are not wanting to be cooperative. 

EXzkZtU.jpg

Painted the black bits, and they came out quite well. Need to seal it up with clear coat, as it is just gloss primer. But so far, so good. 

Edited by Flyboy3394
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking sharp with its painted portions - much better than the faulty decals, well done indeed.

Thanks! Yeah it does look a lot better. Should have just done it to begin with. 

Edited by Flyboy3394