"Snoopy verses the Red Baron" 3D Picture - FINISHED & FRAMED

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Sometimes, doing something that isn't 100% scale, something a little fun and different, can be very rewarding. You don't need to worry too much about getting bogged down in details, but just having lots of fun per pound!

Something we should all take note of sometimes. We get so caught up in detail and accuracy and heaven knows what else that sometimes it is too easy to forget that we all started the hobby to have fun and something to enjoy.

23 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Soon after the last picture, Snoopy was primed, filled and primed again, ready for my daughter to start painting.

fokker_dr1_095.jpg

It's a very nice idea and all well done.

It's nice to involve your child in your hobby!!! She's doing great!

You're lucky,as  they normally have different ideas on how to spend their free time!!!

I just have one small complain...

...poor Snoopy...that pedestal is a bit unfair!!!:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It was the start of August when we got back to painting, starting with Snoopy's green flying helmet. This had two coats of Humbrol acrylic. I painted the edge where the green meets the white and left the rest to my daughter. She wasn't sure she could do the edges without going over onto the white.

fokker_dr1_099.jpg

fokker_dr1_100.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7

Once the green was dry, we moved onto the red scarf, getting one coat painted. As before, I painted the edges near the white and under Snoopy's chin. This was a challenge for me, as there wasn't much space to get the brush in under his chin and avoidiing the arms. He really started coming to life with the extra colour. After his scarf wass done, there was just his nose, black spots and his goggles left to paint. He'd then be ready to sit on his kennel and mount everything into the picture frame!

fokker_dr1_101.jpg

fokker_dr1_102.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7

August 3rd, the brown of Snoopy's goggles was painted and left to dry for a while.

fokker_dr1_103.jpg

A little while later, his nose and the black spot on his back and tail was painted, and again, he was set aside to dry.

fokker_dr1_104.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

I've got to say the whole concept is brilliant, and as a father (and I'm sure I speak for all fathers here) to see the wonderful relationship you have with your daughter in making this is an absolute joy.

Your combined work so far is championship material and I can't wait to see the final result!

• Like 1

The last painting on Snoopy was the silver glazing on his goggles. The picture we were working from had the glazing black, but we figured that silver would look better. Out in the sun, it was reflecting nicely!

fokker_dr1_105.jpg

The final job that needed doing was painting the inside of Snoopy's kennel black, and adding some bullet holes as seen in the cartoon. Once that was done, we would be ready to do the final assembly of the models in the picture frame. It was getting pretty exciting by this point!

fokker_dr1_106.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 8

Almost a week later we did the final painting in the kennel. The inside of his kennel was painted black in case it could be seen through the doorway.

fokker_dr1_107.jpg

Snoopy's backside had previously been drilled for some M3 threaded rod which could be held during painting. Now a suitable length was cut and glued in. The kennel roof was then drilled and Snoopy was bolted on top. The nut on the inside was then coated in epoxy to keep it secured. The bullet holes were made by first drilling a small hole, and then splintering around the edge of the hole with a scalpel blade.

fokker_dr1_108.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 8

Fantastic project - I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Snoopy.

I'm amazed at your daughter's patience. You're both doing a great job and I'm looking forward to the final result.

• Like 1

Here's a close up of the bullet holes. I'm very pleased with the way they turned out.

fokker_dr1_109.jpg

Two pieces of M3 threaded rod were bolted through the back of the kennel to mount it to the background picture.

fokker_dr1_110.jpg

The bottom of the Triplane was drilled to open up a larger hole, and this was filled with "Chemical Metal" two part filler. Once cured, it was drilled for another piece of M3 rod to mount the aircraft. The last job of the session was to glue the background picture to the 2mm MDF back board of the 3D frame. Everything was now ready for the final assembly.

fokker_dr1_111.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

As you can tell from my avatar I love Snoopy, you should get your daughter to learn how to cast i, resin and then she can sell her hard work to fans like me, I'd definitely buy one!

August 10th. Final assembly!!

The background picture that was glued to the MDF a few days before, was drilled for the kennel and Triplane mounting bolts.

fokker_dr1_112.jpg

After that, I taped the back in place, and drilled 1.2mm holes for the panel pins that attach the back into the frame. This is because the frame wood is only about 3/16 inch thick, and without pre-drilling, the nails would follow the grain and split the wood. So with the holes drilled, my daughter slowly nailed the panel pins home, and the tape was removed.

fokker_dr1_113.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 7