"Snoopy verses the Red Baron" 3D Picture - FINISHED & FRAMED

Tuesday Feb 28th - We got the top wing attached, gluing the interplane struts first to hold it in place......

fokker_dr1_031.jpg

While that was drying, the landing gear parts were cut.

fokker_dr1_032.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The landing gear struts were small, delicate and fiddly, so I put the parts together while my daughter applied the glue.

fokker_dr1_033.jpg

Once the interplane struts had time to harden up a bit, the cabane struts, previously glued to the top wing, were pulled into place and glued to the fuselage top deck.

fokker_dr1_034.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

We were running out of time to do anything else that day, but to be fair, the parts all needed time to dry properly before moving on anyway.

fokker_dr1_035.jpg

This is how the project looked in early March 2017.

fokker_dr1_036.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

Due to school trips, homework and other after school clubs, nothing much happened with the project until after mid-March when we got the tailplane attached, using a block of ply and some styrene shims to get it parallel to the wings. An old Lead-Acid battery terminal added a little weight to keep it all still while the solvent evaporated.

fokker_dr1_037.jpg

It was really starting to look like a triplane by this point, but the hardest part of the project, the scratch built Snoopy, was still ahead of us.

fokker_dr1_038.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

On March 21st, we got back to it, assembling the engine. My daughter cut out the cylinders and cleaned up the sprue cuts with some sand paper while I cut the very fragile manifold, each pipe of which was attached to the sprue. Delicate work, but it was cut free without damage.

fokker_dr1_039.jpg

The tailplane struts were more tiny fragile parts. I cut them out but it was a joint effort to get the tiny parts in the right place and glued.

fokker_dr1_040.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

She cut the rudder out next, and attaching it was another joint effort. After placing it in the right location and applying some glue, it was held for a little while before we realised it was going to droop if unsupported. I quickly rolled some Blu-Tac sausages and stuck them in place to hold the rudder still until the glued joint hardened up properly. That was it for the day. The glue all needed to harden before progressing.

I decided we should paint the rest of the airframe next, then apply the decals, before attaching the landing gear, engine and cowl; mainly due to how fragile the landing gear is. While the paint is drying on the airframe, we'll make a staart on Snoopy's kennel and Snoopy himself.

fokker_dr1_041.jpg

fokker_dr1_042.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

We had a short window on Friday, March 24th to get a little more done. This was basically painting the rest of the airframe red so that it had time to dry, and that would allow me to spray a clear coat the next day, ready for the next session where we would be decalling. The tail, rudder, bottom of the fuselage where the wing joins and the wing struts all needed painting.

fokker_dr1_043.jpg

The Triplane together with a Revell Fokker EIII I was building for a customer.

fokker_dr1_044.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

Since the Dr.I was to be in a flying pose, and chasing Snoopy, the engine needed to be running and so the prop turning. I'm not a big fan of clear plastic discs for props, and I don't like etched brass blurred blades, so decided to try something new. One of the things I don't like about clear discs is the lack of thickness, so for my experiment, I cut a lump of 3mm clear acrylic, which was then cut down to a bow tie shape.

fokker_dr1_045.jpg

This was tapered towards the tips and tapered to the leading and trailing edges.

fokker_dr1_046.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

After a fine wet sand, it was polished with 'T-Cut' car paint colour restorer, and then dipped in Future, dried and dipped again, then left to dry.

fokker_dr1_047.jpg

I then sprayed wood brown along the prop, more heavily along the leading edges and at the root. Once dry, I then scraped through the paint in a radial pattern with a sharp scalpel. It just needs a washer adding for the washer on the hub. It's not a perfect solution to moving props, but as a first experiment, I'm quite pleased with it, and with some more practice and refining, it could work well. For the Triplane, it is fine and my daughter thinks it's great.

fokker_dr1_048.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Late March 2017, spraying the gloss clear coat ready for the decals.

fokker_dr1_049.jpg

Another view of the prop, push fitted onto the engine/cowling which is yet to be attached.

fokker_dr1_050.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

After a day or so for the clear coat to harden, my daughter made further progress by starting the decalling. We got most of the decalling done after school one day. I held the model still while she applied the decal and aligned it, particularly for those on the side of the fuselage.

fokker_dr1_051.jpg

fokker_dr1_052.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 5

While each decal was left to dry a little while, we finally made a start on Snoopy. I printed an image of Snoopy and divided it up into squares. I then drew him out on modelboard using the square grid to get him roughly the correct shape. I cut out the outline on the bandsaw, then left my daughter to start sanding down to the outline.

fokker_dr1_053.jpg

fokker_dr1_054.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

Then it was back to the decalling, the top side.

fokker_dr1_055.jpg

Next came the starboard side; and that is as far as the decalling got that session, as it was almost time to eat. I wanted that side to fully dry and harden before turning the model over.

fokker_dr1_056.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 6

It's probably in my top five favourite models! She started modelling just before her 4th birthday. Back then, 20 to 30 minutes was as long as she could manage. These days, now she's recently turned eight, two and a half hour building sessions is quite possible.