Alpha jet Dorsal fin extension

Mr B

Hi folks,

does anyone happen to have pics pics of the dorsal fin extension as seen on some versions of the aircraft. I am building one now and trying to source some reference. 

Thanks in advance

brian

Try and google for pictures of Alpha Jets from Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast and Qatar. Now not all aircrafts serving in these countries had the extension but still there's plenty of pictures on the web showing the extension pretty well. This is one from Qatar

https://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/alphajet/qatar/qa-52_3.jpg

Cheers guys....

thanks for for the input........n pics.....I have got something going.....and more or less it's there....just need to blend it in with fin....yes searching on country specific birds got the hits....as I am planning an Ivory Coast bird

much appericated 

rgds

On 12/13/2017 at 01:34, stevehnz said:

I've not seen (or noticed) this before, probably the latter. :( , what purpose did it serve, was it strictly aerodynamic or did it provide a housing for an aerial or sensor of some type?

Steve.

3 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

From memory i think its for a HF antenna ☺

That's my understanding of its purpose.

I seem to recall that Aviation News published some plans for the Alpha Jet with this detail in, I'll have a rummage over the next few days to see if I still have them.

• Like 1

SAM Volume 11/3 (Dec 88) has an in detail on the Alpha Jet and shows the extended fin on the aircraft of :- Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Qatar and Togo. Surprisingly the extension is also present on the jet which was presented to the U.S. Navy as a competitor in the VTX-TS trials in 1981.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I seem to recall that Aviation News published some plans for the Alpha Jet with this detail in, I'll have a rummage over the next few days to see if I still have them.

1 hour ago, chris57 said:

SAM Volume 11/3 (Dec 88) has an in detail on the Alpha Jet and shows the extended fin on the aircraft of :- Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Qatar and Togo. Surprisingly the extension is also present on the jet which was presented to the U.S. Navy as a competitor in the VTX-TS trials in 1981.

Well, I've had a rummage and not found the plans, reading Chris's input, I suspect my mind has made the leap between SAM and its sister publication from 29 years ago...

An HF fit would be a requirement for operating over the sea as well as well as vast tracts of land so it's entirely logical the VTX-TS trials aircraft would feature the fin extension like the Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast and Qatari aircraft Giorgio mentioned.

• Like 1

It may be worth a look here. Their search engine is easy to use (drop down menus) and the photos are uniformly very good.

http://www.airfighters.com/photostats.php

You'll definitely want to narrow your search terms down beyond "Alpha Jet" though. There are 1870 Alpha Jet photos on the site. :huh:

That could be quite a task Don, especially as less than 200 were built. :speechless:. I've got seven in the stash, intending to build all the African options but the Moroccan's have flanked me with the rain making Alpha Jets they possess with the unique nose alteration.

Edited by chris57

22 minutes ago, chris57 said:

but the Moroccan's have flanked me with the rain making Alpha Jets they possess with the unique nose alteration.

????

Pictures or a link please Chris!

Edited by Wez

1 hour ago, Wez said:

????

Pictures or a link please Chris!

Hi Wez I have a picture courtesy of AFM of Alpha Jet H245(CNA-ET) taken at Marrakech Aero Expo, I think April 2012( I just cut them out of the mag for reference). Apparently the upgrade was done by Weather Modification Inc of Fargo, North Dakota. The system uses a modified AN/ALE-40 dispenser to release chemicals and carries a Sperry/Honeywell weather radar in the reprofiled nose. Sorry to rabbit on so. I'll try to get my daughter or Jabba to post the pic. cheers Chris

27 minutes ago, chris57 said:

Hi Wez I have a picture courtesy of AFM of Alpha Jet H245(CNA-ET) taken at Marrakech Aero Expo, I think April 2012( I just cut them out of the mag for reference). Apparently the upgrade was done by Weather Modification Inc of Fargo, North Dakota. The system uses a modified AN/ALE-40 dispenser to release chemicals and carries a Sperry/Honeywell weather radar in the reprofiled nose. Sorry to rabbit on so. I'll try to get my daughter or Jabba to post the pic. cheers Chris

This one then?

• Like 1