Model Airport Hamburg

Pinback

I visited it a few years ago.  As a spectacle it is well worth seeing and the technology is amazing but the accuracy of the airliner models isn't always up to scratch. There obviously have to be compromises to make the stuff work, we all understand that.  However there is something not right when I have to look at a model a couple of time before I can identify it as a Boeing 737!

Miniatur Wunderland is predominantly railway oriented but there are some interesting sidelines.  As well as the airport I remember being greatly taken with the working ferry port which has ships actually sailing in and out. Another highlight for me, outwith the main display, was a series of dioramas representing the same street in Berlin from the 1930s until reunification. I think there were seven dioramas in all tracing the history of this ordinary street through its destruction in WW2, the building of the Wall, the fall of the Wall and post-unification reconstruction.

I've been, it's truely amazing! Such attention to detail and the vast scale of the whole place is spectacular. It's also pretty amusing that our tuetonic cousins have a scale railway which runs with more precision than our full size one! 

I went n 2015, and almost had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the airport section. It was astonishing, I've never seen anything like it. The aircraft start up, get pushback, taxy out, and take off. You can ever hear the engines spool up. Others land, taxy in and park at the gate. Even the little vehicles are driving around, their brake lights come on when they slow down & stop! Every 20 minutes, night falls for about 5 minutes! If you ever get the chance, go.

(Tip - if you stay in a hotel, but your tickets there. As an overseas viisitor you can by-pass the queues. Normally I don't feel comfortable doing this, but if like me you are only there 1 day, then you might otherwise fail to get in).

Hard to believe these are not of a real airport;

Ham1.jpg

Ham2.jpg

Ham3.jpg

ham10.jpg

ham11.jpg

ham12.jpg

ham13.jpg

ham14.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, spfparker said:

Hamburg's not a bad place to visit either - great shopping and restaurants to keep any others in the party happy...    ;  

.... not to mention some interesting nightlife!

Seriously though, Hamburg is probably my favourite German city and well worth a visit in its own right.  For anyone who wants to venture out of the centre, a trip to Blankenese five stops from Altona on the S1 railway line is easy and enjoyable.  It's an attractive (and very hilly) old riverside village largely undamaged in WW2 and many of the buildings are recognisable from the famous film of the Bismarck leaving the Elbe.

• Like 1