Space:1999 - 1/48 Mk.IX Hawk - Scratch Build

I think it looks really good, but those last pictures seem to have a lot of digital artifacts which make it difficult to see the details :nerd:

23 hours ago, Mike said:

I think it looks really good, but those last pictures seem to have a lot of digital artifacts which make it difficult to see the details :nerd:

I had a feeling when i took the pictures they weren't very good... used my usual camera (a little Kodak point and shoot) that I normally use.

I've resized them again and saved them with a bit more detail i hope.

43193993854_a0b5bdd346_o.jpg

43193993654_f8cc7c3464_o.jpg

30043021918_597fcaea7d_o.jpg

30043021968_8391e90899_o.jpg

Hope these are better! (EDIT) I think they are just as bad...  😞 - I'll use a different camera next time.

Cheers.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 9

They are a bit better @Karl, but there's still a bit of artifacting hiding the detail, and thanks for going to the effort of updating them. :)  It's almost like they're being saved at too high a jpg compression setting, which is usually the cause of this kind of effect.  I find that Save for Web on PS is brilliant, but occasionally the settings slip without a body noticing.  Usually upwards for me, which wastes server space, but it's worth checking something's not changed :yes:

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2018 at 9:44 PM, Mike said:

They are a bit better @Karl, but there's still a bit of artifacting hiding the detail, and thanks for going to the effort of updating them. :)  It's almost like they're being saved at too high a jpg compression setting, which is usually the cause of this kind of effect.  I find that Save for Web on PS is brilliant, but occasionally the settings slip without a body noticing.  Usually upwards for me, which wastes server space, but it's worth checking something's not changed :yes:

Thanks Mike.

I'm using IrfanView as it's really easy to resize the pictures - I reduced the jpg compression on the second lot of pictures but I'm using the original source pictures and I think that is where the problem is.

Cheers.

Karl

5 minutes ago, Karl said:

but I'm using the original source pictures and I think that is where the problem is.

Yeah, once you've lost that original fidelity, there's not a lot you can do to recover it unless you're a photoshop genius, which I'm not of course! :lol:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update on my Hawk. I have re-taken a couple of pictures of the Hawk in it's grey primer with a different camera - my usual Galaxy mobile phone; I think they are much better. I've also made them a bit bigger

30750369708_ba141c7f0c_o.jpg

42810601180_f9dfb83233_o.jpg

...and on that note, and I don't have any pictures as yet, but she is now a lovely shade of Halfords white primer. all over.

As I'm doing the orange 'screen' version, I've done a few test shots with some orange paint candidates on white (some old Tornado wings)

42810601100_a992b9b051_o.jpg

Left to right on the top wing - Humbrol 18 - Tamiya X6 - Humbrol 46

Humbrol 18 looks too red, I love the Tamiya X6 but it might be a bit too tangerine so I'm going for the Humbrol 46 as it's orange but also a bit yellow and to my eyes just haw it appears on TV with their lighting and effects.

Thanks for looking again!

Karl

• Like 5

Nice work Karl, did you see my post with the new MPC Hawk kit here:

They've done a good job with the detail, much better that the old MPC/Airfix kit and its nice to see those details at the larger scale on your build! I built mine as the white version as originally supplied to the studio. I may get another at some point and do it as the orange version we saw on screen.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A small update - but big step forward. The Hawk is now in it's basic colours of Orange over White. I've done the 'on screen' version and gone with white anti-glare panels on the beak/cockpit. The White is Halfords white primer buffed up and the Orange is Humbrol 46.

Next I need to do the detail painting and picking out some of the grey panels and the gun pod nose cones and panel lines, etc. I also need to install and paint the RCS thrusters.

30407933177_818d7e4207_o.jpg

30407934247_3264682743_o.jpg

Karl

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

The last of the details have been painted and the final assemblies have been attached to the ship permanently.

I have used some weathering powders to add a bit of grime and highlight some areas, but not too much; I don't want to make it look like I've rolled it in the Lunar dust!

I'll post the final pictures in a new RFI post:

Space:1999 - 1/48 Mk.IX Hawk - Scratch Build - Complete

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2