VAAC Harrier Cockpit References?

cathasatail

Hi all! (It's snowy out, isn't it!? :P )

I purchased the new Kinetic T Harrier (1:48) and I was just wondering if there were any reference photos of the rear cockpit (which I believe was modified to be a fly-by-wire cockpit, with the front remaining fairly standard- do correct me if I'm wrong!).

I found these as well, if anyone else is interested in the VAAC Harrier:

Best wishes,

Sam

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

Think there was some stuff on the Flight International archive with some pics. Pm me if you don't get any luck searching and I'll see if I have anything.

Kirk

Thanks, i've been looking on the archives and i'm getting blank pages (for example, with this link https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1999/1999 - 2361.html?search=vaac

i get this):  A blank page.....

bhhbb.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Sure I have a photo in one of the many Harrier books stashed away. If you've no other luck I'll go digging. Nice find with the video by the way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ossington said:

I've just brought up Flightglobal. I get this:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1999/1999 - 2361.html?search=VAAC

Can't say they are giving much away though. Leastways, not in 1999.

You wouldn't be able to screenshot the particular photo please? I'm getting a blank page still :/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just had look through the various Harrier books I have and there's a

BAe picture of the rear cockpit on page 61 of the book

'Harrier, the Vertical Reality, by Roy Braybrook.

Published byThe RAF Benevolent Fund Enterprises.

resized_883588b4-9b6e-4de6-974c-7b32baae

Hopefully I've given enough accreditaion to insert this, otherwise , Mods, please delete it and accept my apologies.

Rob

Edited by robc
spelling error

24 minutes ago, robc said:

Hi,

Just had look through the various Harrier books I have and there's a

BAe picture of the rear cockpit on page 61 of the book

'Harrier, the Vertical Reality, by Roy Braybrook.

Published byThe RAF Benevolent Fund Enterprises.

resized_883588b4-9b6e-4de6-974c-7b32baae

Hopefully I've given enough accreditaion to insert this, otherwise , Mods, please delete it and accept my apologies.

Rob

Aha, Just the thing! :D Thank you so much.

I had ordered some red/white/blue VAAC harrier decals, but alas I was refunded a few days ago as they were out of stock -_- I'll post a link on this thread when I get some and when I start on the kit sometime in the new year (uni work permitting...)

Best wishes,

Sam

Hi again,

I don't know whether it was the 'Vingtor' decal set you were after, but 'The Aviation Megastore' is showing it as in stock.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/harrier-test-and-demonstration-aircraft-part-3-48-118-vingtor-decals-vtd48-118-aircraft-scale-modelling-decals/product/?action=prodinfo&art=125773

Cost may be a problem though as they use UPS for shipping, although the sheet can be shipped untracked for just under £18 in total.

Rob

Edited by robc
spelling again!

If I am not wrong, we still have the 1/48 scale sheet in stock. I will not be able to check for certain before before we open business next week after the holidays, though. Total price, including postage to Britain should not exceed £15.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
  • Like 1

Hi Sam,

You've seen one iteration of the rear cockpit in the information provided above. The front cockpit and both HUDs were not standard either and changed over time due to the nature of the work XW175 was doing. How much the front cockpit differences would be visible in 1/48th is hard to say. There are very few people who could say you have it right, or wrong! If you want to get it 100%, you could always try contacting QinetiQ and seeing what photos they would be willing to provide you with. As much of her final work was to trial the automated landing system being developed for the F-35B, photos of the cockpit layouts may still be restricted and not available to you.

In addition to the cockpits you'll need to:

- Develop the two different and unique under fuselage pods 175 carried

- Add a variety of odd aerials in non-standard places, and

- Make the underwing hard point fairings 

I have some photos taken at a Cosford Air Show I can send you to help with some of those.

Cheers

Nick

On 12/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, robc said:

Hi again,

I don't know whether it was the 'Vingtor' decal set you were after, but 'The Aviation Megastore' is showing it as in stock.

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/harrier-test-and-demonstration-aircraft-part-3-48-118-vingtor-decals-vtd48-118-aircraft-scale-modelling-decals/product/?action=prodinfo&art=125773

Cost may be a problem though as they use UPS for shipping, although the sheet can be shipped untracked for just under £18 in total.

Rob

Yeah I did come across those- the shipping costs did put me off somewhat

On 12/28/2017 at 8:45 PM, Vingtor said:

If I am not wrong, we still have the 1/48 scale sheet in stock. I will not be able to check for certain before before we open business next week after the holidays, though. Total price, including postage to Britain should not exceed £15.

Nils

Ah, that's great! I'll send an email across in a few minutes, thanks for letting me know :)

27 minutes ago, NG899 said:

Hi Sam,

You've seen one iteration of the rear cockpit in the information provided above. The front cockpit and both HUDs were not standard either and changed over time due to the nature of the work XW175 was doing. How much the front cockpit differences would be visible in 1/48th is hard to say. There are very few people who could say you have it right, or wrong! If you want to get it 100%, you could always try contacting QinetiQ and seeing what photos they would be willing to provide you with. As much of her final work was to trial the automated landing system being developed for the F-35B, photos of the cockpit layouts may still be restricted and not available to you.

In addition to the cockpits you'll need to:

- Develop the two different and unique under fuselage pods 175 carried

- Add a variety of odd aerials in non-standard places, and

- Make the underwing hard point fairings 

I have some photos taken at a Cosford Air Show I can send you to help with some of those.

Cheers

Nick

Ok- would you mind sending the photos across? I took some photos of it with my DSLR but it was my first DSLR outing (both camera body and lens!) so mine aren't particularly helpful :/

I'll PM you my email address in a minute. And thanks for suggesting QinetiQ; I'll see what I can do.

Thanks everyone! Best wishes,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 8:45 PM, Vingtor said:

Hi everyone,

@Vingtor I just thought I should let you know that the decals have arrived safely, thanks for that! :)

And for anyone else reading this thread; the quality is superb and the decal placement guide is top-notch as well- so before I try them, I can already highly recommend them! As I said, I'll link to the build thread when the time allows.

Best wishes,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail