Help from the Coastal Craft aficionados needed.

Courageous

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

Glad you're pleased with them

Nothing wrong with being gloriously mad :penguin:  :hypnotised:   :elephant:

Kev

8 hours ago, seadog said:

It's a very good book, a mine of information.

They speak the truth 

Hugely inspiring

Rob

(Cant wait for Vol 5 ????)

• Like 1

I've just been mooching around the web looking for Coastal Forces odds and ends. On David J Parkins website under the Great Little Ships listing I see these kits listed -

Royal Navy Coastal Forces Weapons & Fittings Sets

Future Releases in This Range

Detail & Conversion Sets

RAF Rescue Launch Detail Set - for Airfix kit
British Power Boat 63’ MGB Conversion Set - converts the Airfix Rescue Launch kit into one of the batch of MGBs that used the same ‘Whaleback’ hull
Vosper 72' MTB Conversion & Detail Set - converts the Revell kit into boats from batches 240-257/275-306/363-378
Vosper 73' Detail, Deck & Bridge Set [Batch One] - for Airfix Vosper MTB kit
Vosper 73' Detail, Deck & Bridge Set [Batch Two] - for Airfix Vosper MTB kit
All will be supplied without weapons, which can be ordered separately from the range above, as required.

Complete Boat Kits
72' Harbour Defence Motor Launch Kit - complete kit supplied without weaponry
Fairmile 'B' MGB & MTB - complete kit supplied without weaponry
Fairmile 'D' MTB - complete kit supplied without weaponry
'Grey Goose' Class Steam Gunboat - complete kit supplied without weaponry
Note - for above kits weapons should be ordered separately from the range above, as required
'Round Table' Class Minesweeper - complete kit WITH weaponry

Anyone aware of how long these have been listed on the website, i.e. are they recent or ancient. Just trying to workout if they are worth waiting for

Thanks 

P

Not sure. Not seen that particular listing before. I would love an HDML, though. Coastal Craft have been promising a 55' Thornycraft for some time - another on my want list.

53 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

(Cant wait for Vol 5 ????)

Unless you know something we don't :wink: Lambert & Ross only published two volumes.

I know you're talking about the books by Coastal Craft http://coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/histories.php

who are only showing 3 of 4. Fairmile A, B & C being the missing Volume. These books are great for info on individual boats but are no substitute for Lambert & Ross, more of a supplement.

Kev

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PDH said:

I've just been mooching around the web looking for Coastal Forces odds and ends. On David J Parkins website under the Great Little Ships listing I see these kits listed -

Anyone aware of how long these have been listed on the website, i.e. are they recent or ancient. Just trying to workout if they are worth waiting for

At least 5 years by my reckoning

43 minutes ago, PDH said:

Just trying to workout if they are worth waiting for

Hi P

Sorry to disappoint but they have probably been listed as coming for 20 years.

They do however do nice kits of 20mm Oerlikons, Depth charges etc

Plus of course a sheet metal work course for the 1/72 Corvette

Kev

11 minutes ago, seadog said:

I would love an HDML, though. Coastal Craft have been promising a 55' Thornycraft for some time - another on my want list.

I know you like building the hulls but both these are available from http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

both @robgizlu and myself would vouch for there quality

Kev

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Hi P

Sorry to disappoint but they have probably been listed as coming for 20 years.

They do however do nice kits of 20mm Oerlikons, Depth charges etc

Plus of course a sheet metal work course for the 1/72 Corvette

Kev

I know you like building the hulls but both these are available from http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/

both @robgizlu and myself would vouch for there quality

Kev

Yes, and very good they look.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, robgizlu said:

Hi Stuart

The RAF Type 2 "Whaleback" 63ft launches do not figure in the Coastal Craft book (mores the pity!)  There were several types though these wee the classic Air Sea rescue boats in the British Channel in wartime years.

Check out British Military Powerboat team for an overview.  My understanding is that these boats had unique numbering of 3 digits.  Later RAF ASR launches seem to have used 4 digits

As to the general question relating to other British Power Boat Company boats then the answer is generally yes and Coastal Craft volume 2 takes you through them.

As to the turret Glazing/cages - here are some pics illustrating the metal rail version and amazingly the one pic I've ever found of the "filled in" version that Airfix depict (I had assumed that this was a concession to moulding limitations on Airfix's part in the mid 70s - but apparently not!!!)

9ba3ef84-3557-44b0-9779-fcddd7205607.jpg

dd10d932-e228-4096-a9cb-9de8c13266ce.jpg

0f8c47e9-f84c-48dc-a438-17b2357f1b16.jpg

And here's a pic of the real thing that you can see at the RAF museum in Hendon

30e86f3a-c1b7-460c-9f6c-6357d33c9da2.jpg

HTH

Rob

The turret is an Armstrong Whitworth affair that was fitted to early Avro Ansons and the like. I have the intention of detailing an Airfix HSL at some point in the future...(he says very optimistically).

Al

• Like 2

The turrets in the pics look glazed to me. I can definitely see reflections on all of them. as an aside what boat type is '10' in the second pic? it has a 20mm aft and DCs amidships.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modelholic said:

The turrets in the pics look glazed to me. I can definitely see reflections on all of them. as an aside what boat type is '10' in the second pic? it has a 20mm aft and DCs amidships.

Tom

Yes they were glazed. Number 10 looks like a BPBco. effort, or maybe an Elco 70?. It looks like a Bofors aft as well.

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Tom

Hi Tom

I'm sure Fraser is right.  I think this is a BPBCo 70 ft boat and the gun is in fact a Rolls Royce 2 pounder.  Here's a sister vessel

162ad34c-9ec2-4327-ba11-d7ecfa888180.jpg

2 hours ago, seadog said:

Can't be sure, but it looks like the filled in bit might be canvas stretched over the frame?

Fraser - once again I feel you are right - It looks like canvas, presumably to protect the rotatory ring from the elements though I guess that it is at least possible that it was metal to protect against shrapnel.  I was pretty surprised when I first saw that pic.

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

Unless you know something we don't :wink: Lambert & Ross only published two volumes.

I know you're talking about the books by Coastal Craft http://coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/histories.php

who are only showing 3 of 4. Fairmile A, B & C being the missing Volume. These books are great for info on individual boats but are no substitute for Lambert & Ross, more of a supplement.

Kev

Kev  - :sorry:  Can I plead "Fat, drunk and Stupid" ?

Rob

That Rolls gun is someting else. As to theshroudingon the turret, could be metal, though I'd have thought that if it were thick enough to provide any proteaction, it would add unwelcome weight, dunno.

I've just been rumbled by my partner who caught a glimpse of my recent purchase, Airfix's Rescue Launch:yes:. You guys are like 'Sirens' on a rock luring weak minder individuals like myselfB). This wee boaty might get shoved near the top in 2018.

Stuart

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:31 PM, Al Gunthwaite said:

The turret is an Armstrong Whitworth affair that was fitted to early Avro Ansons and the like. I have the intention of detailing an Airfix HSL at some point in the future...(he says very optimistically).

Al

Sorry Chaps

I completely misunderstood the question (didn't read the thread thoroughly). 

The "solid" part around the turret guardrail is a heavy weather cover that prevented rain and spray from entering the turret (source: John Pritchard, RAF HSL Some Further Notes of Interest, Airfix Mag, May 1980). In his article on the HSL in the Nov. 1979 issue he noted that craft seldom had the weather covers fitted around the turrets and they greatly detract from the look of the model.  I've also gone through my references (including the film "For Those in Peril" - which is a brilliant contemporary source ) and I can't find a photo (other than those already posted) with the turret weather screens in place. 

Hope that's helpful.

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All. I'm slowly gearing up to start the RAF ASR launch '130' and trying to get a clear picture/ idea of the rigging involved. 

Aerials from main mast to both forward and stern masts- ok

Flag lines(4) from 'yard to... where?

2 lines from for-mast to cabin, how are these fixed, and where?

2 lines from mainmast 't' to cabin points, where?

2 lines from mainmast 't' going stern-ward to where?

lines coming off the stanchions at bottom of 'whale' go to each other and go forward to where?

Have I missed any? Anything else I should know?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition

Hi Stuart

Here's another pic of my build form a few years back

I'm fairly certain the shrouds are more or less placed accurately though I've seen no plans and this is all from original pics

0f3be173-fa7a-4706-a090-524b9c192394.jpg

I didn't then but I do now....use Bob's Buckles in 1/48 scale to secure lines.  They are tiny and really easy to use.

HTH

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo Rob, the same as I'm going to build :yes:.

I notice that your '130' has the moulded toe/deck rail but your MGB40 has them 'corrected'. Should I get ready to 'correct' my '130'? And since you built '130', is their anything I should be aware of?

Stuart

• 8 months later...

Tough one Stuart.

It's sad that we don't see many built, pricey but so are most bigger ship/boat kits.  Mark Smith's Coastal histories are so inspirational

I have the BPBCo 77/81 Hitchens kit and It's really nice.

Looking through the MTB Vol 1, the other night, there are at least 4 MTBs I'd like to model.

One Thing to remember is that the MTB hulls do not come with drilled portholes so this makes any of the US built Boats (No portholes) serving in the Med an option.

My current fave is MTB 233 with mines on the rear deck, though this choice is likely to change with the weather

You'll make a great job whichever you choose, keep us posted

Rob