[yet another] 1:48 Tamiya F4U-1a

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My mistake I thought you were going for a field improvised Rack like this. gjy5hNb.jpg

I mistakenly thought you were going to modify the tamiya part to look more like this.

tFI2JBG.jpg

I found the drawing and photo on google a while ago. I think its from the ARC forum quoting a photo/drawing from a book about VF-17. 

Dennis

The Bell book has that pic. I'm pretty sure he describes the above version as an evolution of the one I modeled, which was the design the first 500 odd units. I'll have another look tonight.

• Like 1

First Let me start by saying the work on your rack is very well done. Im not disputing Mr.Bell’s book or info ? I explained in my last post i had mistaken what your intentions were. I understand that you rebuilt the kit part to a more realistic version.

I still maintain that there was a field improvised rack. Which Brewster used as the basis to create there own rack. A more refined version of the one in my photo. However that is just my opinion. Im not trying to persuade you or Mr.Bell to change anything. Lets just call it a matter of differing opinions. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

First Let me start by saying the work on your rack is very well done. Im not disputing Mr.Bell’s book or info ? I explained in my last post i had mistaken what your intentions were. I understand that you rebuilt the kit part to a more realistic version.

I still maintain that there was a field improvised rack. Which Brewster used as the basis to create there own rack. A more refined version of the one in my photo. However that is just my opinion. Im not trying to persuade you or Mr.Bell to change anything. Lets just call it a matter of differing opinions. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

We have no quarrel. I was just expressing my enthusiasm for the topic which is one rife with mythology but not much immediately available evidence.

I love the stories of field improvisation—"Pappy's Folly," the first B-25C converted into a strafer, for instance. The design of the Corsair center rack is so clumsy and kludgy looking that's it's hard to imagine a professional engineer or designer being involved. But it would be great to find a more definitive history of it's development. I bet there's a great story in there. I do hope @Dana Bell weighs in...

Cheers

-John

• Like 1

Bench time has been even more sporadic than usual, so not much procedure this time. I am getting close though.

Re-did the bomb rack support bars with the next size down (.8mm) brass tube. Looks much more the part.

f4u157.jpg

Re-profiled the bomb, which was a bit too round, and then used the PE fins from the Eduard set and added mounting lugs.

f4u158.jpg

Odds and ends... identification lights. Punched holes in Tamiya tape with a MicroMark punch set, then sprayed Tamiya transparent red, green, and orange, followed by a few coats of Aqua Gloss. 

f4u159.jpg

Landing gear on! Bomb and rack on! It's looking kind of like an airplane.

f4u160.jpg

Need to dirty up that propeller a bit.

f4u161.jpg

I tried to do the gun port tape with painted decal stock, but couldn't get it to work. This is Tamiya tape painted a light grey.

f4u162.jpg

That cockpit is looking a little clean. Need to think about how to address that. Also need to get some better oil/fuel staining around the fuel cover.

f4u164.jpg

Yikes! Got to fix that nick on the upper left corner of the vertical stablizer.

f4u165.jpg

The wheel wells are filthy. 

f4u167.jpg

f4u168.jpg

Need to take care of some other odds and ends, but I should be about done soon... The year anniversary of starting this build was Oct 15. 

Thanks for looking. I'd welcome any feedback/critique as I try to land this pup. 

• Like 4

Thanks @Biggles87.

I do like some grime and wear as appropriate, and the Pacific wasn't especially hospitable to machines (or men) so it works out. I still have a few spots to dirty up (e.g., Corsairs were notoriously leaky, and I haven't really tried to represent that yet), but it's close.

• Like 1