1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (Tony) by Tamiya

Botan

• 9 months later...

It's probably a coating on top of normal grey plastic, at least that's how they did it on my F-84G. It gets irreparably damaged when you start sanding the joints. Not that you need to do a lot of sanding as the fit is perfect but it's enough to ruin the coating.

These kits are aimed at very casual modellers who don't bother getting rid of the glue joints. Hence the decal set, it makes painting almost completely superfluous. Unless you are a proper modeller.

17 minutes ago, sroubos said:

It's probably a coating on top of normal grey plastic, at least that's how they did it on my F-84G. It gets irreparably damaged when you start sanding the joints. Not that you need to do a lot of sanding as the fit is perfect but it's enough to ruin the coating.

Interesting, I always prefer painting the metallic colours myself, even though it doubles the painting time.

Wouldn't the coating get damaged if some glue got spilled over it?

Edited by Sturmovik

Yes that was the point I tried to make. It will look pretty lousy for the standards of most serious builders which would then necessitate sanding and respraying. That's why I think it's aimed at casual modellers.