BIG X's Gallery for 2017

BIG X

This is my first ‘yearbook’ - so please be gentle.  2017 got off to a slow start for me as I was far too busy asking you all annoying questions, but getting some great answers along the way.  The first part of the year was in reality spent acquiring ‘tools and equipment’ before I could actually build anything.  So it was the end of May before I started and finished my first 'project'.

This is the 1/48 Airfix MWD Utility truck – complete with a milliput base.  It was my first go with an airbrush and my first attempt at weathering too – so very much a ‘work in progress’ – but it was fun to build.  The slightly random theme was down to the fact that I had various decals lying around – the result – an RAF Ambulance.  Oh it was my first making a plinth too...

bedford_1.jpg

bedford_3.jpg

bedford_4.jpg

bedford_5.jpg

Next up in July was the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane MKI.  I was debating whether to go ‘wheels up’ or ‘wheels down’ at the time and also how to deal with moving propellers.  This is the result and again I made a little stand for it – but forgot to put the year on the end of the quote… :doh:

brit_1.jpg

brit_2.jpg

brit_6.jpg

By the end of July I felt I ‘was on a roll’ and disaster from over confidence was just around the corner.  I made the mistake of ‘experimenting’ with a Sharpie to try and create panel lines on a 1/48 Messerschmitt 109E.  This experiment turned into my first WIP – and though the result was a bit of a disaster – I really enjoyed the interaction with other forum folk and hey – I don’t mind ‘learning in public’.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you fancy a laugh then the WIP is here – all good fun…

I had a couple of weeks off work in late August and I’d enjoyed my first ‘Emil’ so much – I decided to do a ‘matching pair’.  If one 109 is fun then two is even better.  I put a lot of ‘research’ into the build and this was the first ‘project’ I finished that I was really happy with – whatever happy is.

01_left_down.jpg

09_focus3.jpg

2g_full.jpg

4f_left.jpg

...and here is the WIP for these lovely girls - 'Grace' and 'Fortuna'...

During September and October I went through a bit of a ‘strange patch’ – where I just couldn’t ‘get going’ with anything.  But with a bit of encouragement from some good folk on here I was back on ‘track’ by the end of October with my first ‘proper AFV’ build.  I say ‘proper’ in the loosest of terms, as I went 1/72 – rather than the 1/35 ‘standard’ and built the PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY M5 halftrack –simply because you get 3 in a box.  The WIP thread is here and again it was a new experience to try filters and weathering.  I can’t get my head round filters yet – but I love the Flory washes for creating a bit of ‘mud and dust’.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As my mojo was fully restored by starting the halftrack and I was falling in love with 1/72 stuff I bagged a 1/72 Airfix Spitfire MKIA and worked on this at the same time.  I don’t know how a 36 piece kit can turn into an eleven page WIP – but it did – thanks to so much input from fellow members ‘egging me on’.  Again a 1/72 aircraft was a first – I haven’t done one that small since I was a kid.

05_B.jpg

12_B.jpg

13_B.jpg

My final project of the year is still on the bench -  but I'm almost there - so please feel free to cheer me along - Here is the WIP…

So, looking back I have had quite a busy year.  I won’t win any competitions anytime soon – but I have had an awful lot of fun.  So thanks for all the support everyone and I hope you have a super festive season and a brilliant 2018.

Lots of love from BIG X

• Like 25

You have been a busy boy! ;)

still very impressed with the pair of 109's (not that I'm not with the others - just the pair are my personal favourite - could be something to do with the wip's!!).

here's to next year!

Ian

• Thanks 1

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking work BIG X 👍

Thanks for all the support and reference points this year.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 05:16, MAD STEVE said:

Very nice indeed Big X, Love the Bedford and the Halftrack, nicely done :)

Mad Steve

Hey Steve - I really enjoyed the Bedford and it got me off to a good start - if it taught me anything though it was that canvas shouldn't be shiny ;)

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:17, Lawzer said:

You have been a busy boy! ;)

still very impressed with the pair of 109's (not that I'm not with the others - just the pair are my personal favourite - could be something to do with the wip's!!).

here's to next year!

Ian

Thanks my furry friend - now where is that RFI on your He-111 - share the love.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:00, Kallisti said:

I like the Hurricane, very nicely presented, good stuff!

Thanks Kalisti - the Hurricane was my first attempt at a 'proper' matt varnish - using Winsor and Newton - I wouldn't use anything else now.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:08, Gerrardandrews said:

Superbly made set of models, UT, Truck, best I've seen made, 😊

Gerrard - thanks for the kind words - I still have another 3 MWD's in the stash - so I  would hope to improve in 2018 with better weathering - everyday is a new learning experience.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:13, Mike said:

Pretty good for someone who's always professing to be bad at this :tease:

Mike - I couldn't have done any of it without the spoons and the needle tube - see you in 2018 for a cuppa.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:34, Max Headroom said:

Well done. You’re well and truly hooked now!

I’m biased but the Spit and Hurri are my favourites.

Good job on all of them.

Trevor

Trevor - hooked is not the word - obsessed or mad is maybe closer to the mark.  The Spit was great fun and I know I overdid the panel lines, but it taught me a new techniques and I bought a load more in that ALDI sale  so I'll get right next time - I promise.  

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:40, Ozzy said:

Nice going Big X,

Cheers Ozzy

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:07, badger said:

That's a pretty good haul for the year. I'd be happy to have finished one!

Thanks Ben - your support has been really helpful and thanks for the heads up on canvas colours - Merry Christmas.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:23, SimonL said:

Love the Bedford - gave me the inspiration to make my own!

Hey Simon your MWD was streets ahead of mine - so inspiration goes both ways - looking forward to more of your work in 2018.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:22, corsaircorp said:

Hello BigX,

Nice and tidy job on here !

Congratulations ! You learn fast and make a very good use of it !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hey Corp - everyday on the forum is a day at school - all good fun.

Thanks everyone and a Merry Christmas to you all - Steve :D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love the insanely oversized 32 squadron codes on the Hurricane (I'd love to do mine in that scheme, even if Airfix did get them wrong on the other side!) And then I scrolled down to the brace of 109s. Superb. My favourites.The prop-less spinners are just so right for inflight models. I'm off to check out the WIP...!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Absolutely love the insanely oversized 32 squadron codes on the Hurricane (I'd love to do mine in that scheme, even if Airfix did get them wrong on the other side!) And then I scrolled down to the brace of 109s. Superb. My favourites.The prop-less spinners are just so right for inflight models. I'm off to check out the WIP...!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I hope you enjoy the WIP for the pair of 109's - it was a fun build over a two week break from work.  Lots of up's and down's along the way - but I'm still learning - so all good practice ;)