1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.11/12/13 & 14 by Special Hobby - NF.11/.12/.14 & TT.20 released

Homebee

Hi. First time contributing. On the nose length of the NF14....I was also confused by the available info....so last year in July I wrote to two museums (York and Malta) asking them to measure their exhibit. Malta replied that it was exactly 15 metres, which equates to just over 49’2.5”. Hope that helps clarify the issue....

On 12/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, David S. said:

Hi. First time contributing. On the nose length of the NF14....I was also confused by the available info....so last year in July I wrote to two museums (York and Malta) asking them to measure their exhibit. Malta replied that it was exactly 15 metres, which equates to just over 49’2.5”. Hope that helps clarify the issue....

Thanks for your contribution but there shouldn't still be any clarification necessary. I posted earlier in this thread,  this is what was said:

There is an amazing amount of conflicting information in the various publications on this subject.

Nose lengths of the nightfighter Meteors used to be a minefield until John Adams of Aeroclub  got it sorted for us. At the risk of plagiarising his good work and findings, it might be worth repeating again. John did measurements from actual airframes using plumbs dropped onto the hangar floor so they are very reliable. Most sources have the NF.11 and NF.12 correct and most sources have the NF.14 WRONG. And I mean most sources, including many esteemed and worshipped books. Indeed, out of more than 10 books on my shelf specifically on the Meteor, all bar one gets the NF.14 length wrong. The correct one is the Haynes 'Super Profile' by MJ Hardy. Unfortunately he quotes the NF.12 as being the same as the -11/13. You just cannot win it all can you?

The NF.11 and NF.13 are both the same, both being versions of the same variant.

The NF.12 was longer and was identical in length to the NF.14, contrary to quotes still seen regularly. The apparent differences were due to the later NF.14 windscreen being redesigned in shape and appearing to be further back along the nose than the -12. The shorter 'Deep Breather' nacelles on the -14 compounds this visual anomaly. When the radar became redundant in the NF.TT.14 era, sometimes the metal ring around the rear of the nose dielectric cone also got painted on some a/c, making the nose radome appear longer. All this is detailed in a couple of places by John Adams. One I dug out today is a letter in Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol.26/10. Thanks John. Incidentally, the -14 length at 49ft 11in. is also confirmed in AP 2210AP Vol.1.

Lengths: NF.11/13      48ft 6ins.

NF.12           49ft 11ins.

NF.14           49ft 11ins.

It also turns out that later in life, all -14s and some -12s received a tail radar warning receiver, the antenna being in the extreme tail cone which shortened these a/c by 3.5ins. This wouldn't change the nose length though.

at some point in prehistory, someone got the quoted length of the -14 wrong and it has been perpetuated ever since. Certainly Shacklady had it wrong. Was he the original sinner? Certainly his book has been the Meteor bible down the decades hasn't it?

and previously the same info in other related threads. Malta have that measurement close but not spot on.so it's quite important that it doesn't become a new 'norm'. The length of a -14 can vary slightly depending on whether the tail warning antenna is fitted or not.

Anyone still confused by Meteor lengths should read back my previous post because although I'm by no means 'the oracle' I have been there, done that and got said T shirt.

John Adams' measurements are the baseline backed up by the Air Publication for the aircraft itself AP2210AP Vol.1.

Confused no more! SH are very aware of the pitfalls regarding nose lengths and are being careful with their forthcoming new kit, so they tell me.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/specialhobby/posts/732179790555717

http://www.specialhobby.net/2019/09/nf-meteory-172-dalsi-formy-v-priprave.html

Work on 1/72 NF Meteors continues. One of the finished mould will be deployed on the machine in the coming days. We are working on another mould also...

IMG_20190910_120315.jpg IMG_20190910_120334.jpg

IMG_20190910_120416.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2019/09/news-from-special-hobby-102019.html

- ref.72360 - Armstrong Whitworth (A.W.) Meteor N.F. M.12

Due for November release is the first one of the 1/72 Night Fighter Meteors, the NF Mk.12, and it is quite likely that the pre-Christmas market will see the release of yet another model in the limiter Duo Pack & Book series of models.

Meteor.jpg

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So am I, nice choice of Squadrons, I’m favouring 46’s arrow head myself!

Cheers.. Dave 

I recently built the Matchbox/Xtrakit kit with 46's arrowhead from a Modeldecal sheet.  Very smart.

That looks really good, it's nice to see a good rendition of the engine intake.

A question though, what are those two cross-shaped pieces for top right?

46 minutes ago, Robert said:

I would say they are part of the engine exhausts to fit in the parts on the lower left blades.

Regards

Robert

Aah!  Flow straighteners!  That makes sense, thanks.  Didn't know the Derwent used them but it's logical.

I wonder if this will be around next weekend if they are already moulding. If so might be tempted, might be an easier build than the Matchbox one. 

26 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I wonder if this will be around next weekend if they are already moulding. If so might be tempted, might be an easier build than the Matchbox one. 

It’s a quantum leap in detail over the Matchbox kit, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...