1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.11/12/13 & 14 by Special Hobby - NF.11/.12/.14 & TT.20 released

Homebee

18 minutes ago, Robert said:

I wonder if the Matchbox NF.14 canopy will fit 🤔

Regards

Robert

Why bother when the 14 is on the way and you will still need to modify the fuselage as well to make the 14 canopy fit, and make the canopy retraction mechanism behind the canopy, plus a a few changes in the cockpit etc.

A little more work than sticking a canopy on top.

• Like 2

Yes John I did, I sent them everything that we discussed, so they have all the information that you gave me.

I know that they are doing the 11 and 14, when they will be I do not know, I am hoping the 14 is soon, I may ask a few questions, now that this first one seems very close to being released.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Yes John I did, I sent them everything that we discussed, so they have all the information that you gave me.

I know that they are doing the 11 and 14, when they will be I do not know, I am hoping the 14 is soon, I may ask a few questions, now that this first one seems very close to being released.

I shall leave the parts in the box then and await the NF.14.

Regards

Robert

Released  - ref.72360 - Armstrong Whitworth (A.W.) Meteor N.F. M.12

Seen at the Euro Scale Modelling 2019 in the Netherlands

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/a-w-meteor-nf-mk-12.html

Source: https://www.facebook.com/specialhobby/photos/rpp.578131849293846/788335258273503/

78611394-788335264940169-278315733629691

V.P.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I must say I'm very excited about this, to prove it I'm using this emoticon :frantic:

I'll just have to look through my Modeldecals to see which other units I can model as a Mk.12

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks nice, however surprised to see just a one piece canopy, even Matchbox were able to split theirs apart all those years ago. Whatever internal detail is provided won’t be seen under all that canopy framing which is a shame. I’ll still buy one.

Cheers.. Dave 

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks nice, however surprised to see just a one piece canopy, even Matchbox were able to split theirs apart all those years ago. Whatever internal detail is provided won’t be seen under all that canopy framing which is a shame. I’ll still buy one.

Cheers.. Dave 

The instruction sheet only shows the one piece canopy, so it looks like we will have to cut it ourselves. I plan on buying several of these kits and I can't wait to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see Special Hobby getting a lot of my hard earned cash in the coming years, I see a slack handful of Mk.12s, a couple of slack handfuls of Mk.14s and several bucket loads of Mk.11/13's will be coming my way, that's before they even release their proposed Mirage III/5s!

Well done SH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Might just have to buy me a Christmas pressie! I wonder what chance of a shiny new F8, since Airfix don't seem to be obliging us in 1/72nd?

Special Hobby already have a pretty good F8 (aside from the astoundingly thick wings), so I wouldn't bank on that. 

Cannot see a new SH Meteor F.8 in the near future as their old one is still around and not a terrible kit. I see Edward beat me to it and he is dead right about the wings, which also have a very blunt leading edge. 

Edited by Mr T
New info
  • Thanks 1

I have had a short look at my -12 now and it looks good. I too was surprised that the canopy rear fairing is moulded with the canopy itself. I did wonder if this was to make the fuselage mould easier to adapt for the -14 but said sprue has a single 'NF.12' legend moulded onto the end hinting that the -14 fuselage mould will be a different one.

The all important nose length seems to be near enough spot on at a scale 49ft 11ins which should bode well for the -14 which is the same length nominally (tail radar notwithstanding). Reading back through this thread, I too also highlighted the various nose lengths to SH at an early stage and pointed out that most previously published references have the -14 wrong. Fingers crossed!

Seasons Greetings all.

• Like 1

I have said it before but I'll say it again,  What with Airfix early Hunters, SH Meteors, Aerocraft accessories, Hunter/F-5E decals and stuff from Switzerland , 2020 is an expensive year - and its not even here yet !!

Dennis 

• Haha 1

Well my kits have just turned up in the post, first impressions are very favourable and it's a quantum leap over the old Matchbox kit.

The outer wings look to be of the correct thickness compared to those on their previous single seaters.  The cockpit is very well detailed and looks like a good description of what Bill Waterton referred to as "an ergonomic slum", it's very busy and would repay careful painting.  Personally, I would have preferred a multi-piece canopy to allow you show all of that lovely detail but I'd rather have this kit than no kit from SH.

One curious thing is that the kit instructions require you to open up the wing root at the forward cut out on the upper wing, not a deal breaker for me but it may put off some other modellers.  What it does mean is the fit in this area will be down to you!

Of the three marking options, I think that SH have made a mistake on the colours for the 25 Sqn aircraft, they're showing these bars as silver with blue borders whereas Modeldecal produced these in silver and black, I'm sure black is correct.

This one will have to wait for the Interceptor GB later next year before I have the time to build it but I'm already looking forward to it.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well my kits have just turned up in the post, first impressions are very favourable and it's a quantum leap over the old Matchbox kit.

The outer wings look to be of the correct thickness compared to those on their previous single seaters.  The cockpit is very well detailed and looks like a good description of what Bill Waterton referred to as "an ergonomic slum", it's very busy and would repay careful painting.

One curious thing is that the kit instructions require you to open up the wing root at the forward cut out on the upper wing, not a deal breaker for me but it may put off some other modellers.  What it does mean is the fit in this area will be down to you!

Of the threes marking options, I think that SH have made a mistake on the colours for the 25 Sqn aircraft, they're showing these bars as silver with blue borders whereas Modeldecal produced these in silver and black, I'm sure black is correct.

This one will have to wait for the Interceptor GB later next year before I have the time to build it but I'm already looking forward to it.

Mine turned up this morning as well and although I have not yet had a detailed look at them, from what I have seen on this dank, dark and wet morning, I entirely agree with Wez.

I'll be building at least one once daylight comes back to these Northern regions and I may build one from the Matchbox stash just as a comparison.

The 25 Squadron colours should, as Wez says, be Silver with Black bars.  As that was one I intend to build it should be no problem with a strips of black decal or strips of  clear decal printed Black.

So far - I like

Dennis  

PS - Two of the examples given for the decals are in the familiar MSG/Dark Green but for some reason SH have quoted the Grey in the DK Sea Grey/Dark Green/MSG version for 64 Squadron as "Ocean Grey".  Just a minor point to watch.

So far - I still like

Dennis 

• Like 1