1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.11/12/13 & 14 by Special Hobby - NF.11/.12/.14 & TT.20 released

Homebee

One (so far) coming. Disappointed to see that the cannon are molded onto the wing rather than being a separate part, They are liable to damage, mis-molding etc. like the Matchbox kits. Does anyone know of after-market replacements?

3 minutes ago, dalea said:

One (so far) coming. Disappointed to see that the cannon are molded onto the wing rather than being a separate part, They are liable to damage, mis-molding etc. like the Matchbox kits. Does anyone know of after-market replacements?

Nobody so far but the kit has only just been released so it's early days yet.

To be fair, it is only the fairings that are moulded onto the wings, the muzzles are separate parts which can be added last thing.

The initial reports are somewhat expected and a little surprising. Without seeing an image I’m still tying to understand the requirement to open up that wing root area. Secondly, with the amount of detail thrown into the cockpit, the one piece only canopy option is even more baffling. Still I do acknowledge that this is a new tool Meteor NF so we should rejoice in that at the very least. 

Cheers.. Dave 

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The initial reports are somewhat expected and a little surprising. Without seeing an image I’m still tying to understand the requirement to open up that wing root area. Secondly, with the amount of detail thrown into the cockpit, the one piece only canopy option is even more baffling. Still I do acknowledge that this is a new tool Meteor NF so we should rejoice in that at the very least. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I haven't taken any of the parts from the spurs yet but looking at the assembly diagrams, I have come to the conclusion that there has been an error in making the mould for the upper mainplane, Part B3 and in particular at the cutout in the fwd centre of the part.  As I read the drawings, this cut out is supposed to fit around the rear of the cockpit tub when assembled to the fuselage in Step 32.  It appears to me that the cut out in Part B3 is approx 2mm too narrow as it is only around 1mm per side that has to be removed.

So why did SH not correct it.  As has been said on various topics here on BM and else where, it is easier to remove metal from a mould than it is to add it neatly, hence the instructions in the assembly booklet to remove the areas indicated.

Attached are the two relevant drawings from the instructions and I hope you can see what I mean. :- 

spacer.png

spacer.png 

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 3

Thanks Dennis,

I could be wrong as I haven't measured it but one thing I noticed looking at the cut-out, it doesn't appear to be central to the upper wing, its slightly misaligned to one side and there was more material to one side of the cut out than the other.

Now that I can see this will be hidden from view once attached it's obviously not so critical about how square it is - as long as you remove enough material to stop the upper wing from fouling on the cockpit moulding and causing misalignment of the wing assembly to the fuselage.  I'm much relieved by this.

• 1 month later...

I just got the new-tool NF12 today! Looks very nice in the box, and before somebody posts the sprues and decals, here are some basic observations:

• nicely scribed-panel lines and ejector ports for the 20mm look to be correct
  • one-piece canopy and hood, but very clear, and framework is well-defined
  • speedbrakes molded closed, but nicely scribed
  • main gear forks are separate from the struts, but nose  wheel/mudguard is molded with the strut
  • 22 parts marked 'not for use' most are for the cockpit, so possibly Mk 13, 14 will be forthcoming?
  • 3 decal choices, 25, 46, 64 squadrons
  • centerline belly tank and two external wing tanks included; centerline tank has no pre-opened holes, but the locations for the wing tank pylons are opened out.
  • nice molded engine face detail for the front of each nacelle

Guessing the Matchbox kits will be relegated to trade tables and auction sites! I'm no Meatbox authority, but this one looks very, very good!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

so possibly Mk 13, 14 will be forthcoming

This has been established for a very long time 

If you haven't been following that thread then before you start building look here

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

This has been established for a very long time 

If you haven't been following that thread then before you start building look here

I looked for news of this release, but guess I didn't go back far enough! Sorry- I was just so excited when I got mine in the mail today!

Mike

• Like 1

@Work In Progress,

Uh-oh! I read the two discussions you posted- now I am unhappy! If the overall lengths of the NF 11's through 14's are as John Aero measured, then "We got trouble right here in River City!"  as they said in the musical! I went upstairs to the workbench and measured my SH NF 12 kit, and here's what I found:

overall length of the SH kit, as measured from the tip of the radome to the tip of the tailcone is 49' 9"

overall length of the NF 11 & 13, as measured by John is 48' 6"

overall length of the NF 12 & 14, as measured by John is 49' 11"

The overall lengths for the four variants listed above are also the same as listed  in the Valiant Wings Airframe Album 15.

If John is right, and I'm sure he is- the overall length is almost  correct for the NF 12 and 14.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected text

@Work In Progress

I re-measured my SH NF 12 kit, and I must have mis-read my scale rule- I have corrected the measurement in my original post. Looks like the overall length of the SH NF 12 is very, very close to the actual length. I also have the Rareplanes NF 11/12/13/14 vacform and the length scales out to 49' 11" The Rareplanes instructions also give directions on how much of the fuselage behind the radome needs to be removed to do the variants that are shorter. I am sooo sorry for my mistake, but wanted to get the correct information out there for others!

Mike

• Julien locked this topic

1 hour ago, MiG-Mech said:

Any chance for israeli version ?

10 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Not sure what you mean, is there a variation to the canopy section? 
If there is and you can supply pictures, I may consider it, please email any relevant information to [email protected]

The Israeli jets were NF.13's which were tropicalised NF.11's, in addition to the cooling intakes on the underside, these tropicalised aircraft also had an ADF fit, the loop antenna was mounted in the fairing behind the canopy under a clear cover (as well as an ADF sense antenna mounted on the underside).  It's I believe the same shape just the upper portion of the fairing is clear.  I think that's what Mig_mech is alluding to.  It's not an Israeli thing per se, just an NF.13 thing.

Anyway, I've ordered a couple of sets for my NF.12's, thanks for making this set.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Hi Wez

Thanks for the order firstly, and even more a possible explanation to what was meant / required for the Israeli version. I will see what I can find, I know some of the changes between the 11 and 13 but did not know off the top of my head that the rear section of the canopy housing was clear and that there was an aerial beneath, that is good information for many reasons.

As always it is always best if guys make suggestions supply a little more information and some pictures than just a few basic words. The more information shared the better the chance will be of getting wishes granted.

cheers Ali

8 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi Wez

Thanks for the order firstly, and even more a possible explanation to what was meant / required for the Israeli version. I will see what I can find, I know some of the changes between the 11 and 13 but did not know off the top of my head that the rear section of the canopy housing was clear and that there was an aerial beneath, that is good information for many reasons.

As always it is always best if guys make suggestions supply a little more information and some pictures than just a few basic words. The more information shared the better the chance will be of getting wishes granted.

cheers Ali

Ali,

Once I get back home I'll look out what I have and send you something but my initial assessment is that all that is needed is to cast the rear fairing in clear resin.

@Ali62

I've sent you a couple of annotated photos which highlight the changes made to the NF.13, these changes would be needed for an Israeli jet.

I've used the e-mail address from post #119

Edited by Wez

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

1/72 SH72358 A.W. Meteor NF Mk.11 boxart by St. Hájek. The kit will contain decals for the Belgian, French and Danish machines.

It's a nice kit and if you don't fancy any of the NATO users there's plenty of other options out there.

Now that they're doing an NF.11 I wonder if somebody will do a TT.20 conversion?

• Like 2