1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth Meteor NF.11/12/13 & 14 by Special Hobby - NF.11/.12/.14 & TT.20 released

Homebee

13 hours ago, dalea said:

Well, I've just started an Xtrakit one, so they'll be along any minute

If you like, I'll drag a couple of Matchbox kits out of the stash and speed up the process ...

• Haha 3

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Admiral Puff said:

If you like, I'll drag a couple of Matchbox kits out of the stash and speed up the process ...

Would you? There's a good man!

Mike

53 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Would you? There's a good man!

Mike

Yep, no probs! Just as soon as I've made room for them by finishing a couple of Airfix 1:48 F.8s that are taking up most of the space on my bench at the moment!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, viscount806x said:

Nose lengths of the nightfighter Meteors used to be a minefield until John Adams of Aeroclub, who I hope still visits this forum, got it sorted for us. At the risk of plagiarising his good work and findings, it might be worth repeating again. John did measurements from actual airframes using plumbs dropped onto the hangar floor so they are very reliable. Most sources have the NF.11 and NF.12 correct and most sources have the NF.14 WRONG. And I mean most sources, including many esteemed and worshipped books. Indeed, out of more than 10 books on my shelf specifically on the Meteor, all bar one gets the NF.14 length wrong. The correct one is the Haynes 'Super Profile' by MJ Hardy. Unfortunately he quotes the NF.12 as being the same as the -11/13. You just cannot win it all can you?

The NF.11 and NF.13 are both the same, both being versions of the same variant.

The NF.12 was longer and was identical in length to the NF.14, contrary to quotes still seen regularly. The apparent differences were due to the later NF.14 windscreen being redesigned in shape and appearing to be further back along the nose than the -12. The shorter 'Deep Breather' nacelles on the -14 compounds this visual anomaly. When the radar became redundant in the NF.TT.14 era, sometimes the metal ring around the rear of the nose dielectric cone also got painted on some a/c, making the nose radome appear longer. All this is detailed in a couple of places by John Adams. One I dug out today is a letter in Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol.26/10. Thanks John. Incidentally, the -14 length at 49ft 11in. is also confirmed in AP 2210AP Vol.1.

Lengths: NF.11/13      48ft 6ins.

NF.12           49ft 11ins.

NF.14           49ft 11ins.

It also turns out that later in life, all -14s and some -12s received a tail radar warning receiver, the antenna being in the extreme tail cone which shortened these a/c by 3.5ins. This wouldn't change the nose length though.

at some point in prehistory, someone got the quoted length of the -14 wrong and it has been perpetuated ever since. Certainly Shacklady had it wrong. Was he the original sinner? Certainly his book has been the Meteor bible down the decades hasn't it?

I hope Special Hobby read this forum!  I also echo those comments on the SH Meteor wing thickness, a good opportunity for a retool of those too methinks. 

Nige B

As I own a copy of the Putnam's Gloster Aircraft since 1911 published in 1987  by Derick N James (ISBN 085118070) and in his text he states that the fuselage  length  was for the 

NF 11/13     48ft 6in     

NF 12  49ft 11in  and

NF 14  51ft 4in   

As this is a published account of the history of Gloster aircraft  I  would say that the book and Derick's are  correct 

13 minutes ago, Geoff Arnold said:

As I own a copy of the Putnam's Gloster Aircraft since 1911 published in 1987  by Derick N James (ISBN 085118070) and in his text he states that the fuselage  length  was for the 

NF 11/13     48ft 6in     

NF 12  49ft 11in  and

NF 14  51ft 4in   

As this is a published account of the history of Gloster aircraft  I  would say that the book and Derick's are  correct 

Sorry, this was published before John Adams actually went and measured an actual aircraft, I'd go with his measurements over those published.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Geoff Arnold said:

NF 11/13     48ft 6in     

NF 12  49ft 11in  and

NF 14  51ft 4in   

Sorry Geoff, but I think in this case, John Adams actually measuring the jets trumps the books. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Arnold said:

NF 11/13     48ft 6in     

NF 12  49ft 11in  and

NF 14  51ft 4in   

The 1987 Gloster book is a reissue of a title published in the 60's with little updating. Some of the titles in the Putman range have errors in that they were written without the benefit of up to date research. For example the Avro books labels the 720 photo as being of the airframe rather than the mockup. 

To just drop in here, I saw and noticed that Special Hobby was getting the lengths incorrect from some of the very first images we saw, I think back in about May this year. I have the detailed drawings that John Adams has done, he gave them to me a few years ago and I shall be using them in some future projects of my own....... I consulted with John and he said that I could share those with Special Hobby to help ensure the most accurate kits could be produced.

As far as I know and to my knowledge after speaking with the Special Hobby guys at Scale Model World a few weeks ago they have used the provided information and changed the patterns accordingly.

A few years ago I managed to get up close to a Mk 14 and armed with Johns drawings and dimensions I did some rough check dimensions and I have to say that I have to confirm that I agree with Johns much more detailed approach.

So all being well we should have some pretty good Meteors in 1/72 scale next year.

cheers Ali

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

To just drop in here, I saw and noticed that Special Hobby was getting the lengths incorrect from some of the very first images we saw, I think back in about May this year. I have the detailed drawings that John Adams has done, he gave them to me a few years ago and I shall be using them in some future projects of my own....... I consulted with John and he said that I could share those with Special Hobby to help ensure the most accurate kits could be produced.

As far as I know and to my knowledge after speaking with the Special Hobby guys at Scale Model World a few weeks ago they have used the provided information and changed the patterns accordingly.

A few years ago I managed to get up close to a Mk 14 and armed with Johns drawings and dimensions I did some rough check dimensions and I have to say that I have to confirm that I agree with Johns much more detailed approach.

So all being well we should have some pretty good Meteors in 1/72 scale next year.

cheers Ali

I contacted Special Hobby some time ago and informed them of the various threads regarding the NF Meteor's length, they assured me they'd taken note and revised their mouldings.