Paint Colour Selection Tool ?

100SQN

Seasonal greetings

A few years ago I used to use a website/tool to help me identify which colour paint to use when building my models.

You would start my importing an image of your subject into the tool and then select any colour from the image. The tool would then suggest a number of paints, from different manufacturers, which closely match the one you selected.

Unfortuntely I lost all my bookmarks, including the link to this website when my PC broke last year

Does anybody know of this website or use anything similar ?

Cheers,

Simon

The site in question was scalemodeldb.com, but unfortunately it has gone defunct. The main page is archived here, but it no longer has any functionality:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160329190620/http://scalemodeldb.com:80/paint

Sad, because it was a very useful tool. I know of nothing similar.

• Like 1

A word to those looking for decent colour matching charts; Look for a cross reference and see what humbrol paint match they give for Revell 45 Light Olive. If they state Humbrol 86 Light Olive, shut down the chart immediately and never use it again. They are NOTHING alike whatsoever, and I know then that whoever compiled a chart in this lazy fashion has made little to no effort in colour matching. From the sheer amount of charts where I detect this same stuff up, it seems they all just copy the chart from each other. This is just one example of poor colour matching involved in these charts where the author (I would say authors though I believe from the parroting of same mistakes there was only one author involved) has looked at the names involved and thrown them together.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is really a decent colour matching chart out there, and that includes the charts given by the manufacturers themselves that all have the exact same mistakes.

PS: Humbrol light olive is a medium olive green colour, erring towards a darker shade. Revell Light Olive is more of an RLM 02, French Kaki shade of olive/beige. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for either of those shades. Only somebody who hasn't used these colours could possibly state they are good alternatives. And if they have made a mistake this big with one colour...

Edited by sapperastro
  • Like 1