Gator - Part three of the trilogy

Gremlin56

Ok speedy you said I was fast, come on, you can go quicker than this, that hull should be painted ready for weathering by now...........just can't wait to get at those planes, eh?

You know I'm just pulling your leg, right?  

Looking great, again as usual.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, FrancisGL said:

Nice progress, undoubtedly, an interesting and little seen model, a whole BUFF, as they have commented before...:popcorn:

Cheers Julian :yes:

Thank you Francis, surprises me that not more examples of this model have been blogged here. Good detailing for a budget price.

;)

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 12:32 PM, PlaStix said:

The third part of your trilogy is looking excellent so far. Going to be a very impressive trio. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, thank you! It's certainly big, should be an interesting comparison to the Bradley and Abrams.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 8:16 PM, Spookytooth said:

Bleedin hell Gremlin, you`re hammering along with this mate.

Are the parts pre painted or something LOL.

I think I will tag along with this one if I may?

Before it`s finished and RFI.

Simon.

Good morning Simon,

Pre-painted models? don't say it out loud or someone will start producing them. RFI? Hardly ever do that...................

On 12/11/2017 at 10:14 PM, Blaubar said:

Pah, amazing as always and a true pleasure to read through your blogs. You are definitely nothing of a modelling demimonde! 3 days in and the hull is almost halfway done... lol.

Prost,

/Stefan

Hi Stefan, thank you. Busy at work this week so the build speed isn't very unusual on average B)

On 12/11/2017 at 11:28 PM, BlackMax12 said:

Ok speedy you said I was fast, come on, you can go quicker than this, that hull should be painted ready for weathering by now...........just can't wait to get at those planes, eh?

You know I'm just pulling your leg, right?  

Looking great, again as usual.

Take care,

Lloyd

Good morning Lloyd,

Thanks, it's still underway and weathering has started albeit inside instead of out ;)

My second set of the Korean tracks I used for the Bradley arrived yesterday so they are ready to go for the Gator when needed.

Also found some so called holographic foil that could be used for prisms (have to give that a try before committing).

B)

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

My second set of the Korean tracks I used for the Bradley arrived yesterday so they are ready to go for the Gator when needed.

Also found some so called holographic foil that could be used for prisms (have to give that a try before committing).

B)

Hello, I guess you talk about the R-model tracks ;)

I assembled the tracks for my CV90 and before doing that, I treated them with a fast bath of burnishing fluid and ended up with a light grey finish exactly as the real life swedish tracks B) ... I remember you had the same result, and I think the burnishing fluid just removed the "silver plating" and revealed the raw color of the links.

Let's see what the Gator will look like with new shoes !!

Cheers, E

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Etienne said:

Hello, I guess you talk about the R-model tracks ;)

I assembled the tracks for my CV90 and before doing that, I treated them with a fast bath of burnishing fluid and ended up with a light grey finish exactly as the real life swedish tracks B) ... I remember you had the same result, and I think the burnishing fluid just removed the "silver plating" and revealed the raw color of the links.

Let's see what the Gator will look like with new shoes !!

Cheers, E

Hi E,

that's right, the R-model links. The Gators seem to get very rusty due to the saltwater environment they operate in so I think I can be a bit bolder than usual with the weathering on this build.

Should be fun ;)

15/12 update.

More work on interior of the Gator. Photos added of the R-Models tracks and the holographic foil:

DSCN5559.jpg

DSCN5560.jpg

DSCN5561.jpg

DSCN5562.jpg

DSCN5566.jpg

DSCN5571.jpg

I was very chuffed to get hold of one of these little gems:

DSCN5568.jpg

DSCN5569.jpg

DSCN5570.jpg

:D

• Like 5

On 12/15/2017 at 5:49 PM, AgentG said:

That Walrus just sorta snuck in there eh? A perfect example of modellers ADHD. Building a tank, building, building,............Oh look, a biplane!

The Gator is coming along just fine.

G

Hi G,

It was the only example of the Airfix Walrus left at "Axel's Modelbaushop" in Germany, couldn't leave the little guy all alone there could I?

The Gator made more progress yesterday but the site was down so I didn't get around to posting photos, will do that today ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Nice stuff!!, i remember a little 1/72 Matcbox Walrus when i was a kid...what memories...

What is the holographic foil?...:popcorn:

Cheers Julian :yes:

The holographic foil I am going to use to see if it's as good as the prism foil I used on the Abrams.

• Thanks 1

Missed this one starting up juilian, nice start did you get a second set of those metal tracks? Looks like another dusty subject, are you going to combine your 3 kits in a OIF dio? :popcorn:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good!

I was looking at one just yesterday in my "local" shop & wondering if I fancied it, having seen your work here I think I might.

If you can get hold of one go for it. Great value for the price B)

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Missed this one starting up juilian, nice start did you get a second set of those metal tracks? Looks like another dusty subject, are you going to combine your 3 kits in a OIF dio? :popcorn:

Hi Ozzy, yes, treated this model to some fitting tracks by ordering a second set. This is probably more soggy and salty than dusty and definitely rusty (judging by pic's of the real Gators) ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking quite tight and well fitting Gremlin.

A nice kit, wit enough detail to keep you occupied without over-load.

Simon.

Hi Mate,

thank you :D

Treading gently on the brakes Simon, avoiding overload like crazy at the moment and nothing to do with Christmas ;)

No, really, all ok. Hope that you and Lady Rose are getting along okay as well,

cheers B)

22/12 update.

Finally got some work in again today. The upper hull now has all the interior bits and pieces fitted, detailing is very good on the kit, and as usual a pity you won't see much of it once it is all sealed up.

The crewmen look quite good, should be even better with some paint. Just 26-ish links away from the tracks being assembled and ready to fit:

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5580.jpg

DSCN5581.jpg

DSCN5582.jpg

DSCN5583.jpg

B)

• Like 6