2 day technique learning build

Well its Christmas time again and while shopping for gifts for others I magically ended up in the hobby section of the toy shop in the local shopping centre, amazingly I managed to escape with only purchasing a 1/72 airfix RAF red arrows gnat kit which was cheap and I could use it to try using a wash for the first time, I convinced myself.

My original time frame for this was one day but I couldn't get my air brush working which extended the build to two days.

The kit was painted with tamiya XF-7 and clear coated with Tamiya TS-13, decals were set with mr mark softer and panal lines were washed with tamiya panel line accent black

I'm mostly happy with the results as this is my 1st airfix kit as well as aircraft build, 1st time using washes, painting canopys and using micro Krystal clear.

I did make a few mistakes

-breaking off the wings on the top and bottom of the fuselage

-overpainting the main wings which restricted the amount of wash detail

-I got lazy and used TS-8 to paint the Canopy after masking which made it look like I had used a clear red 

-accidentally using TS-65 pearl clear because I didn't read the label properly, I didn't fix it and the colour has a slight metallic effect which looks good in person but not show up in photos

IMG_0977

the wash looks very pronounced on the rear wings because I think I used less paint, also check out the left wing the camera just picks up the pearl effect in the paint

IMG_0978

• Like 12

Good on you for grabbing a kit and having a go at a new technique

Looks good to me and I'm sure you will use the wash again in future builds

Well done

Cheers

Bruce