1/72nd Hasegawa Marauder Mk.III, B-Bliksem, 21 Sqn. SAAF, Italy 1944-45

Hiya Folks,

Having been stuck on the shelf of doom since my hospital visits last year I finally got this one finished, it is the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale B-26G kit with decals that I researched for Xtradelcal on sheet X72107 Mediterranean Twins part 2, although I`m not sure whether it would have converted to C Type SAAF roundels above the wings by 1945,.... I stuck with the original B Type just in case. Although the RAF did not fit the cheek pack guns to its Marauder`s (14 Sqn- Mk.I & 39 Sqn-Mk.III,...plus training units) the SAAF did fit the lower guns on each side of the fuselage, only deleting the upper pair. 

The model was brush painted using Humbrol 155 Olive Drab and Aeromaster Neutral Grey acrylics with Medium Green blotches and as the airfields in Italy were notably muddy I have weathered up the wheels using MiG pigment powders .

The model represents B-Bliksem (Bliksem being an Aafrikaan`s word for `Lightning') which flew with 21 Sqn. SAAF  from Italy in 1944/45;   

DSCF1979_NEWDSCF1992_NEWDSCF1987_NEW_NEW

DSCF1989_NEWDSCF1999_NEWDSCF1986_NEWDSCF2001_NEWDSCF1981_NEW

Here are the Xtradecal decal instructions;

X72107Xtradecal-X72107-1-72-Mediterranean-Twins-Part-2-Model-_57.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 61

That's really rather nice Tony.

I have that decal sheet and have gathered together enough kits to make most of the aircraft on it. At the moment I've only got as far as assembling most of an Airfix Beaufighter MkX converted to a MkI using the Alley Cat bits (it will be finished in my current splurge of completed half-finished kits).

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your very kind comment,... glad you like it. 

1 hour ago, Unfinished project said:

Lovely job you’ve done of this lovely aircraft. How is the Hasegawa kit? I’ve only built the Matchbox one about 30+ years ago. 

Cheers,.... it is a lovely kit but whether it was just me or not I don`t know, but it wasn`t the click together build I was expecting and required some filling and sanding, especially around the wing roots.... but it is a leap ahead of the old Airfix or Matchbox kits. 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

That's really rather nice Tony.

I have that decal sheet and have gathered together enough kits to make most of the aircraft on it. At the moment I've only got as far as assembling most of an Airfix Beaufighter MkX converted to a MkI using the Alley Cat bits (it will be finished in my current splurge of completed half-finished kits).

Cheers,....I`m the same and am just making a dent in the decal options now with one of the Marauder`s and one of the Wimpey`s,..... I`ll be doing the rest when I get around to them.

All the best and cheers again,

Tony 

• Like 1

Weee! Now that's different! I like that a lot Tony and you really are a master at the brush painting lark!

Looking at those wheels maybe I should be getting me some weathering powders...?

Lovely job, indeed.

Rick

• Like 1

Fantastic work, Tony! I remain in awe of your ability to achieve such results with a brush. Just incredible - and it's not often that you see a South African Marauder! Great choice of subject.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1