N.A. P 51D Mustang. RNZAF.

Hi all...after a long time away from modelling, I've resumed my hobby with the challenge of finishing my pile of started models, an evergrowing pile that, at some point, became overwhelming....

The first of that pile is this P51D, built OOB with some leftover decals from an old Airfix kit....Painted with Vallejo Metallic colours

Hope you'll like it...and best regards from Tenerife..!!!

24026104637_0560e9a561_c.jpg20171205_194717 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

38860571642_bea11bb984_c.jpg20171205_194820 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

38860573702_814017736c_c.jpg20171205_194854 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

38860572732_fa585c0206_c.jpg20171205_194840 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

Edited by Artie
  • Like 21

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Mustang 👍 ! ... Ok Im probably going to get hit with this but I never knew that New Zealand Operated the Type. Was this in Post WW2 Japan ? Or Possibly from the Korean War ? 

The Territorial Air Force, a short-lived Kiwi version of the Air National Guard, operated them from about 1950-55. We were meant to get 320 or so for The War but ended up with only three dozen which equipped four "Citizen Soldier" squadrons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Mustang 👍 ! ... Ok Im probably going to get hit with this but I never knew that New Zealand Operated the Type. Was this in Post WW2 Japan ? Or Possibly from the Korean War ? 

The RNZAF placed an order for P51D's to replace the war weary F4U/FG-1D Corsairs, especially since it looked

like WWII,( especially with Japan) would drag on...........

Come VJ Day the the order was still in transit and the Mustangs arrived Late August 1945

The Mustangs early 1946 were put into rubber cocoons and storage, where they remained until about

1950, when they were brought out of storage and given to the (reasonably) new Territorial Air Force (TAF) which comprised

mostly of weekend warriors (bit like the Air National Guard) who flew them till about 1955/56, when the aircraft were pensioned off

The markings are "D" Type Roundels, and the checkerboard were the colours of No. 1 Auckland Squadron - there were 4 sets of

checkers, each representing a Province in New Zealand (think Rugby)

The only RNZAF aircraft to be based in Japan were 14 Squadrons FG-1D's - no RNZAF Mustangs flew in Korea

Hi Artie,

Nice RNZAF P51D, just a couple of comments - NZ2413 was the only RNZAF P51D to have  cuffed Propellers - all other

had uncuffed.

Colour scheme was at this time of Operational life HSS (High Speed Silver)

Regards

Alan

PS. Looks like Zac got in before me ^_^

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your comments, they're wlecome....!!!!

On 8/12/2017 at 1:23 AM, LDSModeller said:

Nice RNZAF P51D, just a couple of comments - NZ2413 was the only RNZAF P51D to have  cuffed Propellers - all other

had uncuffed.

Colour scheme was at this time of Operational life HSS (High Speed Silver)

Regards

Alan

PS. Looks like Zac got in before me ^_^

Alan.....thank you for your advice....ddn't notice the propeller issue...It seems the propelllers have turned out to be my Nemesis in my return to the hobby...:) :)

Will have to paint a new one and replace it....!!!!! Not a diffficult task, the propeller is fixed with some PVA glue, as the kit is still in need of some weathering...!!!

Cheers from the other side of the world.....