Brush Painting

chuck314d

Has anyone else ever tried stippling paint onto a models interior parts, i.e. wheel wells, jet intakes, landing legs. ? 

I have been experimenting with this old technique, mainly with white acrylic model paint which is a pain to brush paint.

I find that using thin paint applied with a small flat sable gives acceptable results. No brush marks and more even coverage.

Best to let each coat dry for about 30 minutes between coats.

Just wanted to share this with you folks. Maybe it is old news.

Edited by chuck314d
left something out

What I've found is most important in getting good results from brush painting is having the paint at the proper consistency and having the right brush for the right application. If the paint is of the correct thickness, it will settle out smoothly. Unless you are using the wrong brush, which you can avoid by using the right one. Thin, thick, wide, narrow, natural fibers or not, there is a large range to choose from. Another thing I've found helps is having a primer coat that is close to the final color. The primer gives the color coat something to "bite" into and being close in shade, helps it cover better. 

It is a good technique, though I usually use it with enamels. Just have to make sure your paint is thin enough, and try it beforehand on test beds, as not all paint can self level enough for this way of doing things. I find the paint type has to be strong enough not to 'break up' as many acrylics often do. Am I right in guessing you use Model Master acrylic? This is one of the few acrylics I have luck with using the stippling method.

Ah, so Mission Model paints is brushable eh? I have searched in vain to see if there were any hand painting reviews of this new paint, but nothing to be found, only airbrush reviews which I am not interested in since I only airbrush enamels these days (when I bother airbrushing).

So how does Mission Models paint with the stick Chuck? What colours have you tried? And which camo schemes?